The smoke may have darkened their walls, but their spirits remained bright.
Residents of Block 93, Henderson Road, had to evacuate their flats in the early hours of Saturday morning when a fire broke out at the second-storey lift lobby.
When they returned to their homes in the morning, they were greeted with charred walls and the strong smell of smoke.
With Hari Raya Puasa just around the corner, some residents were disappointed at the turn of the events. But they are determined not to let this affect their celebrations.
Read the full report in The New Paper on Tuesday (Aug 7).