SHE was washing her favourite langsat fruits which she had just bought from Fairprice hypermart at Ang Mo Kio Hub.
Nestled among the fruits was a small scorpion, no larger than a forefinger. But its sting was “excruciating”.
Miss Freda Bessir, 54, was rushed to the Accident and Emergency department of Raffles Hospital. She was given anti-histamine, antibiotics and two days of medical leave as well as a jab to lessen the pain. She experienced numbness until Wednesday.
The supermarket paid for her medical treatment and a gesture of goodwill, gave her a basket of fruits and flowers. The Fairprice branch has also temporarily removed the product abd suspended delivery of the product.
A dermatologist who spoke to The New Paper said scorpion stings are usually painful but not usually life treateningly. However, the young and the old are more at risk.