Entertainment

Jennifer Lopez pulls out of World Cup opening ceremony

J.Lo isn't turning up to the World Cup opening ceremony this Thursday (June 12), ahead of Brazil's first match with Croatia in Sao Paulo, despite her role in the event's official song.

The 44-year-old singer's rep told E! News in a statement: "We can confirm the accuracy of FIFA's statement. Regretfully Jennifer Lopez will not be attending this year's World Cup opening ceremonies."

The official song sees Lopez team up with US rapper Pitbull and Brazilian pop singer Claudia Leitte.

The news comes not too long after reports revealed the split between the mother-of-two and her choreographer boyfriend, Casper Smart. 

FIFA officials told the New York Daily News in a press release on Sunday (June 8) that J.Lo won't be able to perform the official World Cup song We Are One with Pitbull because of unspecified "production issues."

CNN reported the US rapper's glee when he previously talked about the collaboration: "I'm honoured to join Jennifer Lopez and Claudia Leitte at the FIFA World Cup to bring the world together...I truly believe that this great game and the power of music will help unify us, because we are best when we are one."

So much for unity.

Source: CNN, E! News and New York Daily News.