Deepavali Dos & Don'ts
- Be punctual. You can be fashionably late by 15 minutes. But any longer and it is rude - but that goes for any occasion, really.
- Do not turn up empty-handed. Flowers, sweets, chocolates or desserts are good gifts.
- After greeting your host, you should greet the oldest person in the family.
- You will be offered food when you visit. Always accept it because to reject the food could insult the host. Even if you are not hungry, take a nibble.
- You may feel uncomfortable to be served but if your host insists, let him or her serve you.