HED CHEF EXTRA: Somen, so good
In The New Paper on Sunday (Jul 13), Hed Chef Hedy Khoo showed you how to make Somen with prawn and tobiko. Following a idea from one of her colleagues – who regularly eats the dish for lunch –here is her recipe for Somen with cucumber and wood ear mushrooms.
- 100g dried somen
- 1 Japanese cucumber, julienned
- 2 - 3 dried woodear mushrooms
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 3 tsp sesame oil
- Sprinkling of shichimi togarashi
- White sesame seeds
1. Fry the chopped garlic over low heat until golden and crisp. Set aside.
2. Soak the wood ear mushrooms in hot water.
3. Slice thinly.
4. Boil the wood ear mushroom for 15 minutes.
5. Remove from pot and set aside.
6. Fill a pot with enough water to fully submerge noodles.
7. Bring the water to a boil.
8. Place noodles into the boiling water.
9. Boil for 2 minutes.
10. Remove noodles from the boiling water and transfer to a colander.
11. Rinse the noodles.
12. Place ice cubes on the noodles.
13. Once the noodles are sufficiently chilled, place in bowl, mix in the seasoning, add the cucumber, wood ear mushroom and fried garlic.
14. Garnish with sesame seeds.