Bankrupts must still pay child support

Bankruptcy is usually the last resort in trying to get rid of debts.

But if you think it can alleviate child support, think again.

The Official Assignee applies to the court for an order to receive the bankrupt's salary for distribution to the creditors, and this includes maintenance for children.

No way out when the ex fails to pay child support?

The Maintenance Support Central (MSC) is a dedicated drop-in centre, where divorced women can seek legal advice and emotional counselling.

Singapore Council of Women's Organisations' President Malathi Das says the centre offers free civil law and Muslim law legal advice at its monthly legal clinics.

"We work with volunteer lawyers from the Singapore Association of Women Lawyers and Law Society's Muslim Law Practice Committee to provide legal advice to clients who can't afford legal services," she says, adding that the lawyers from the clinics cannot represent clients in court.

MSC collaborates with Pro Bono Services Office of the Law Society to provide ad hoc pro bono legal representation for deserving cases.

Another avenue for these women to turn to is the Association of Women for Action and Research or Aware. Like the MSC, Aware arranges for clients to get basic legal advice.

"We also link them to other useful resources such as DP Credit Bureau, which tracks and blacklists defaulters. In cases where we are assisting a client with the personal protection order application process, we may also accompany them to their applications for enforcement of maintenance orders," its spokesman says.


Maintenance Support Central

Address: 96, Waterloo Street

Opening hours: Monday to Friday, 9am to 6pm

Tel: 6571-0185


Aware Helpline: 1800-774-5935