News

Ex-marine dies after choking on eggs

 A former British Royal Marine died after choking on eggs during an informal eating contest with his friends in a pub.

Gary Sims, 55,  put three eggs in his mouth while playing the game at the Boar's Head Inn in Berkeley, Gloucestershire, last Saturday (June 7), reported The Gloucester Citizen.

But the father of two quickly began to choke and frantic pals and staff began performing the Heimlich manoeuvre before ringing ambulance crews for help.

“Although he was conscious at the scene, he suffered a cardiac arrest as a result of choking. Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation was carried out, but he was sadly pronounced dead at the scene,"   a spokesman for the South West Ambulance Service Trust told the paper..

An inquest yesterday (June 12) heard that he choked when trying to perform a party trick in front of friends and that the initial cause of death discovered from a post mortem examination was asphyxia, reported the Mail Online.

Sources: The Gloucester Citizen, The Mail Online

marine lifechokeUncategorised