News

Fire that wrecks London home caused by Nutella jar

The London family whose home was damaged in a fire earlier this month is shocked at the culprit: A glass jar.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) said the huge house fire was caused because of sunrays shining through it. 

The fire started in electrical supervisor Declan Murphy's home when low winter sunlight was refracted by the Nutella jar left on the window sill of his daughter's bedroom - and beamed onto blinds.

The dog died

Although the damage was limited to  a first-floor bedroom and the roof, the family's Jack Russell called Chilli was trapped inside the flat in Twickenham, south-west London.

It died.

Mr Murphy, 41, said he was out celebrating his anniversary with wife Lindsay and their two children on Feb 15.

He told Get West London the family was "heartbroken" upon the news of their dog: "We've been told it will be up to a year before the house is ready for us to move back into."

He said it was important people were aware of keeping glass items away from windows.

"I want to ensure other people are aware of the dangers and know to keep glass items away from windows and out of direct sunlight so they don't have to go through anything like this."

The fire brigade's spokesman Charlie Pugsley said:

"It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that's exactly what happened.
 It's worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to a potentially life-changing blaze."

According to the fire brigade, sun rays have caused 125 fires in the last five years, during winter and summer. 

Sources: BBC News UK, Twitter

nutella jarFirelondonanimals