HELPING KIDS OFF STREETS
World Vision's interventions for street children in Vietnam, Thailand and Cambodia adopt a three-prong approach.
PROTECTING THE CHILD
- Providing emergency shelter, food.
- Forming coalition with local authorities and the police.
- Educating parents and caregivers.
- Equipping children with life skills and information about their rights and ways to protect themselves.
- Providing access to legal and psychological counselling.
EDUCATING THE CHILD
- Educational support and counselling since many street kids have no access to formal education.
- Monitoring school attendances.
- Giving them opportunities to access informal education at the centre, attending camps and field trips.
- Providing administration/documentation services to help children get formal education.
CHANGING BEHAVIOUR AND ATTITUDE
- Giving them vocational skills to allow them to earn a living.
- Educating communities on protecting children from sexual predators.