History of Tiong Bahru
Originally a cemetery, Tiong Bahru later became the site of a pre-war public housing programme to alleviate housing woes in Chinatown.
Following a modified form of the "Streamline Moderne" architecture style, the flats were designed to look like cars, trains, ocean liners and aeroplanes with sweeping, streamlined and aerodynamic lines.
These buildings were given conservancy status in 2003 and comprise 20 blocks of two- to five-storey flats.
Before World War II, two rows of shophouses at Tiong Poh Road marked the centre of the neighbourhood.
In 1945, they were converted into a wet market and five years later, a new market called the Seng Poh Market was constructed.
The market is now known as Tiong Bahru Market, and has one of the highest concentrations of "heritage hawkers" in Singapore.
Source: National Heritage Board, Urban Redevelopment Authority