Acting on information from the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Singapore police began investigating Chan Chun Hong, 31, in November 2013.

Using the pseudonym "Teo Dennis", a Singapore citizen, the police started corresponding with Chan online.

In e-mail correspondence, "Teo" told Chan that he wanted to visit Vietnam last year to "find young girls" and asked Chan to share his experience.

When "Teo" asked for girls between 16 and 18 years old, Chan suggested girls between 12 and 16 instead.

On Dec 29, 2013, Chan sent an e-mail to "Teo" telling him he could go to a place frequented by paedophiles in Phnom Penh in Cambodia.

"There are many there you can try. Age around six to 16. Depending on what you want to do..." he wrote.

Later that day, he told "Teo" his preference.

"I find 12 to 14 year olds (sic) the best as they are freshest and is (sic) becoming a grown-up girl soon. Innocent too. :) and very curious about sex," he wrote.


The next day, he reassured "Teo" in another e-mail that the area in Phnom Penh is "quite well organised, not a Geylang-type area".

"For da bao (takeaway) back hotel (sic), have to negotiate further with the pimp there. Age varies, but oldest around 17 years old.

"Place is definitely safe as I have been there."

He also attached three photographs of the private parts of young girls.

In their e-mail and WhatsApp correspondence, Chan said it was better to visit Cambodia for underage sex since "many little girls in Cambodia are from Vietnam actually.

"And it is easier to find (girls) in Cambodia than in Vietnam".

They agreed that "Teo" would pay for both their flights and accommodation in Cambodia and Chan would make the arrangements and accompany "Teo" on the trip.

The trip was planned for between April 1 and April 4 last year, when they would visit karaoke lounges to select young girls to take back to their hotel rooms.

If "Teo" was feeling more adventurous, they would go into rural areas to look for even younger girls.

Before the trip could happen, Chan was arrested at Changi Airport on March 1 last year.