HOW TO PREVENT CHOKING ON FISH BONES
The Health Promotion Board provides some general advice for parents to prevent their children from choking on fish bones:
- Do not feed children while they are crying or lying flat.
- Remind children not to play, talk or laugh while eating.
- Check food carefully for bones before feeding.
IF A BONE IS SWALLOWED...
Dr Ng Siau Peng, a general practitioner with Frontier Healthcare, suggests the following measures:
- Stop eating and drink some water.
- If pain or discomfort persists, seek immediate medical attention.
- Do not swallow large amounts of rice in an attempt to dislodge the bone - it may worsen the condition by pushing the bone deeper.
KK Women's and Children's Hospital advises that children who have swallowed a bone may complain of pain in the throat only after a few hours.
Parents should immediately take the child to the accident & emergency department where an X-ray and special instruments will be used to find and remove the bone.