It's one-off incident, says MBS
Marina Bay Sands (MBS) said that the incident, which took place on Christmas Day last year, was a one-off incident.
Responding to queries from The New Paper on what it would do to prevent a similar incident, the hotel said it has a robust security management system in place.
Its well-trained pool of security officers, said an MBS spokesman, undergo continuous structured training to maintain high levels of competency.
"These security standards comply with the Singapore Standard for Hotel Security... Marina Bay Sands' security personnel rendered immediate assistance to the guests and assisted the police in its investigations."
NOT THE FIRST
This incident was not the first one in Singapore where a trespasser targeted hotel guests.
On April 8, 2003, a Malaysian man followed two air stewardesses to their hotel room at Grand Hyatt Singapore and sexually assaulted them.
Suresh Nair Vellayutham, then 28 and unemployed, raped one woman twice. She was then 31 and married. Her colleague, who was 30 years old at the time, was repeatedly molested.
He was jailed for 26 years and caned the maximum 24 strokes on Nov 28, 2003.
Following this, the two victims sought $1.15m in damages from the hotel. It was later settled out of court. The terms of the settlement cannot be disclosed.
Lawyers told TNP that MBS was responsible for the victim's security and she has the option of legal action.
Mr Louis Joseph from Regent Law, who was not involved in the cases, said hotels are responsible for the security of their guests.
"Hotels owe their guests a duty of care, which if breached, could lead to payment of damages."