News

Know who shot down MH17? There's a $38 million reward for you

Do you know who shot down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17? Who authorised the shoot? And what happened to the weapon used?

A mystery person or organisation is offering US$30 million (S$38m) for information and evidence on those responsible for the tragic July incident.

The offer is being made through German fraud investigation company, Wifka, and is being advertised on its website.

 

The website said that political parties, at home and abroad, have yet to "clarify the circumstances of the crash and present evidence for what happened" despite earlier saying they would do so.

The reward offer, which was posted on Wednesday, asked for information on who shot down the plane, who gave the order to do so, who authorised the action, the circumstance that led to the incident, and what happened to those who shot down the plane and the weapons used.

The website stated: "Whoever provides evidence that identifies those behind the shoot down, will be given the reward of 30 million dollars. The money is securely deposited in Zurich, Switzerland. It will be paid there or in a different neutral place of the whistle-blower’s choice."

A new identity

Wifka even offered to give the whistle-blower a new identity. The company also advised whistle-blowers to "take great care" and contact them through a lawyer.

"Details should not lightly be given away in e-mails or on the phone. A secure way of communication will be established for every individual case," the reward offer stated.

Mr Josef Resch of Wifka​ told Germany’s Capital magazine that he does not know who is behind the offer but is confident it is genuine. He said he has received an advance payment of €40,000 (S$65,000) for his services.

One of the largest rewards ever offered

The reward is one of the largest in history, surpassing the US$25 million that the US offered for information on the whereabouts of Osama Bin Laden, reported The Telegraph.

The preliminary report on the MH17 disaster by the Dutch Safety Board last week said the aircraft blew up in mid-air after being hit by “high-energy objects”, killing all 298 passengers and crew on board. 

It said the Boeing 777-200 had broken up after being hit or being penetrated by a large number of high-energy objects from outside of the aircraft. The plane crashed in eastern Ukraine.

Source: The Star, USA Today, The Telegraph

MH17malaysia airlineseuropeUncategorised