MORE TROUBLE FOR RESTAURANT?
Chong Qing Original Old Steamboat switched to electric cookers yesterday.
The workers said the restaurant owner was overseas, but the staff had changed the cookers as the safety of the diners was of utmost priority.
The owner had told TNP on Tuesday that he planned to stop using portable butane cookers.
Despite that, the restaurant could still be in trouble for storing more than 200kg of petroleum and flammable materials on its premises without a valid licence.
On Tuesday, the Singapore Civil Defence Force inspected the premises and found the large amount of flammable materials, The Straits Times reported yesterday.
Fire safety rules dictate that eating establishments need approval and a licence before they can store petroleum and flammable materials above 200kg.
First-time offenders can be fined up to $5,000 while recalcitrant and repeat offenders can be fined up to $10,000, jailed up to six months, or both.