World

Explosions and other toilet trouble

She's the latest in a line of toilet victims and her unlucky fate will either make you cringe or mutter: "Lucky it's not me".

A Slovenian woman needed hospital treatment after her farm house loo exploded while she was using it yesterday (Sept 15).

Police said the cause was thought to be a build-up of methane gas from a nearby septic tank that had collected inside the toilet cubicle.

A spark from the electrical circuit then caused the gas to explode.

A statement from Steiermark state police in southern Austria said:

"When the woman turned on the light there was a sudden explosion, leaving (her) with burn injuries on both arms, hands and her head."



The 'smallest room' has also presented some big problems in the past

May 2015

A family was shocked to hear from the Housing Board their new home in Punggol had been flooded, a week before they were due to move in.

Even more shocking: The floor of the flat was covered not just with water but faeces as well.

Madam Fadilah’s newly-renovated Punggol flat turned into a faecal swamp after contents from a toilet pipe flooded the unit. PHOTO: LIANHE WANBAO

Cement had choked the common sewage pipe shared by their seventh floor unit and those above it, causing a backflow into their home.

Photographs circulating online show faeces and murky water covering the floor of a toilet, hallway and living room.

The owner, who gave her name as Ms Fadilah, 31, told evening daily Shin Min that when her husband turned up at their flat in Sumang Link, he was confronted with what she described as a "giant toilet bowl".

She said:

"My husband was so shocked that he just stood at the doorway crying. He couldn't believe what he was seeing."

The family had spent some $50,000 on renovations alone, and intends to redo the whole house, including all the flooring which had stains between the tiles.



Nov 2014

Three hours into the Sydney-bound flight last November, passengers were told the plane was returning to Los Angeles due to a fault with the "fresh water overflow system".

One passenger, Julia Malley, claimed she was forced to sit in seats which had human waste washing by.

Speaking to New Zealand radio, she said: "We could see it [human waste] it go through the aisles, like it was very obvious."

Another passenger on the  flight Tweeted

 

Virgin Australia denied claims that human waste had reached the aisles, saying that the leakage was not from toilets.

A spokesman said: "The onboard toilets operate on a completely separate drainage system.

"As the issue was with the aircraft sink, and not the toilets, there was no incident of leaked human waste."



Oct 2013

When he flushed the loo in his Brooklyn apartment in 2013, the device exploded.

The shards of porcelain knocked New York resident Michel Pierre unconscious. He needed more than 30 stitches to his face, arms and legs.

The 58-year-old was been left so traumatised that he now uses a rope to flush the toilet from a safe distance.

"Obviously there is a serious problem in the building," his lawyer Sanford Rubenstein said. "Clearly toilets are supposed to flush, not explode."

Mr Pierre is seeking compensation from the management company of the 16-storey block, which was built in 1964.

 

 

bombingToiletUncategorisedflush