Register at MFA in case of emergency overseas

Registering with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) before you go on a trip can help you when you run into trouble.

MFA had told TNP last year that this is applicable even for trips to nearby places such as Johor Baru or Batam.

While these places are close by and familiar, there is sill the possibility of encountering problems.

The MFA may inquire about the safety of those registered, and they will be the first to be given information should there be a need to evacuate Singaporeans.

In 2012, Singaporeans made 6.4 million overseas trips, revealed Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs Sam Tan during the Committee of Supply debates in Parliament earlier this year.

That year, about 314,000 people alerted the MFA of their travel plans.

Consular officers do not only issue passports and emergency travel documents, MFA had said.

In an emergency, the MFA turns into a crisis management centre.

It also coordinates its efforts with other government agencies, including the Ministry of Social and Family Development and the Ministry of Home Affairs. And when it has to, with Singapore Airlines as well - usually when evacuation is needed.


  • Go to
  • Choose whether registering for an individual or a group.
  • Fill in details such as name, emergency contact numbers and travel plans like the cities you will be visiting and the corresponding dates.
  • After registration, there will be an e-mail or SMS confirmation.

Alternatively, you can download a free smartphone application, MFA@SG, and eRegister.

With the app, you can locate the nearest overseas mission, view real-time travel advisories and access consular information and services.

It is available at the Apple App Store and Google Play (for Android devices).