SAFETY TIPS FOR CYCLISTS
- Install a front light and a rear light or reflector for cycling at night.
- A properly secured seat is required for pillion riders below 12 years old.
- Do not cycle on footways, expressways or overhead bridges.
- Always obey traffic light signals.
- Cycle with the flow of traffic when on the roads.
- Always dismount at pedestrian crossings and push your bicycle across.
- Only LTA-approved motorised bicycles are allowed. The minimum age for motorised cycling is 16 years.
- Secure your bicycle with a strong lock, such as a U-lock, when left unattended, even for a short while
- Stick a bicycle security label, available from any Neighbourhood Police Centre, to your bicycle so it can be identified with a unique serial number.
BY THE numbers
Number of writs of summons issued yesterday, out of the over 100 cyclists stopped on Woodlands Avenue 9. In the first half of this year, 47 writs of summons were issued there, with 22 to those found cycling on footways.