Singapore

Confirmed: Singaporean woman among those dead in Bangkok blast

UPDATE: The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that a Singaporean woman was killed in the blast. 


Reports indicate that a Singaporean woman is among those who have died in the blast which ripped through Bangkok on Monday night (Aug 18).

The explosion in front of Erawan Shrine, a spot popular with tourists, rocked the Thai capital during rush hour. 

The Straits Times (ST) reported that a Singaporean in her 30s was killed in the blast.

Her husband and her brother were among those injured.

ST quotes Police Major General Dr Pornchai Suteerakune, commander of the Institute of Forensic Medicine in Bangkok, as saying the woman likely died on the spot
 

 

My wife and I were shocked to learn of the bomb blast that took place near a tourist attraction in Bangkok last night....

Posted by Dr Tony Tan on Monday, August 17, 2015

 

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs had earlier confirmed via a statement on Monday night that Singaporeans had been injured in the blast.

 

 

My thoughts are with all those affected by the explosion outside the Erawan Shrine in Bangkok this evening. The Thai...

Posted by Lee Hsien Loong on Monday, August 17, 2015

 

They are providing them with consular assistance.

When contacted by The New Paper, a staff member at Police General Hospital, which is close to the site of the blast, said that they did not treat any Singaporeans.

A spokesman from King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital said they were unable to give any information on the nationalities of those injured as they were not carrying any form of identification.

Two explosions rocked the area where the popular Erawan Shrine was located.

The first explosion occurred when an improvised explosive device, which was fastened to a utility pole in front of the shrine at the Ratchaprason intersection in Bangkok, detonated at 7.55pm (Singapore time).

Shortly after, a second bomb, which was on a motorcycle, went off. 

The BBC reports that the Thai are looking for a young man who could be a possible suspect.

He was seen on CCTV footage carrying a black backpack into the Erawan Shrine and then stepping out without it.

The carnage and chaos were captured in images shared widely on social media.

 

 

 

 

[Bangkok Blast] A First hand view from a handphone filming was shared to see the blast which have killed 19 people so far, including at least 10 Thais, 3 Chinese, 2 Malaysians and 1 Filipino.www.facebook.com/streetdirectory

Posted by streetdirectory.com on Monday, August 17, 2015

 

 

 

The world woke up to a bomb which went off near a Skytrain station at Ratchaprasong in the evening and two more unexploded bombs were found in the area. Police confirmed 19 people were killed, including 10 Thais, one Chinese and one Filipino citizen. More than 120 others were injured, according to police. The nationalities of the other people who died were not immediately clear.www.facebook.com/streetdirectory

Posted by streetdirectory.com on Monday, August 17, 2015

 

At least 21 people were killed and more than 120 people wounded in the attack.

Thai authorities said that the bomb was made using TNT, and that target of the attack was foreigners and to damage tourism and the economy.

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha called the incident the worst ever attack on Thailand.

Sources: The Straits Times, Twitter, BBC, Facebook

thailandBangkokbombingblastattackTourismUncategorised