Geylang shophouse fire likely to be caused by electrical fault
The Geylang shophouse fire that killed four Malaysians in December last year was most likely caused by a wiring fault of a fluorescent lighting.
On Tuesday (June 2), a coroner's inquiry was convened regarding the deaths of Mr Jubitol Rumanjing, 37, Mr Ramu Kotiah, 50, Mr Yusoff Masrong, 49, and Mr Maslan Musundo, 43.
They worked as cleaners and were found motionless in one of the rooms of the shophouse almost an hour after the fire started.
The blaze happened on Dec 6 at about 2.30am.
It was Singapore's worst fire in a decade.
One of victims had a blanket wrapped over his head. The other three were found lying face up.
All died from smoke inhalation.
The court also heard that three of their room-mates had fled the dark, smoky and burning building, despite Mr Maslan's advice to stay put.
One of the survivors was his younger brother, who has since returned to Malaysia.
Read the full report in our print edition on June 3.
Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.