What you need to know about the new online betting rules in Singapore
In the next two months, Singapore Pools and Singapore Turf Club will launch their betting services online under the Exempt Operator Scheme.
Here's what it means for you.
Where can people bet online, legally, in Singapore?
Singapore Pools and Singapore Turf Club.
Oct 25 (Singapore Pools) Nov 15 (Singapore Turf Club)
Currently, both Singapore Pools and Singapore Turf Club offer only telephone betting services. Both operators will allow bets to be placed online once they launch their new services. Singapore Turf Club will launch iTote, a new online wagering platform which can be accessed via the Internet, or through the iTote app available on both Apple and Android devices.
What can you bet on?
Singapore Pools: 4D, TOTO, football (including live betting during matches) and motor-racing sports betting
Singapore Turf Club: Horse-racing
What are the rules for users?
- Only those aged 21 and above will be allowed to open player accounts.
- Those who are excluded from casinos under Family Exclusion, Automatic Exclusion by law or Third Party Exclusion Order will not be allowed to open or maintain player accounts.
- Remote gambling can only be conducted through a player account with both operators. Before an account can be activated, the identity and age of the player will be verified in person, on top of the relevant exclusion checks on the applicant. Each time a player logs on to his account for remote gambling, a two-factor authentication process will be executed. The player will have to input his user ID as well as a one-time PIN, which will be sent to his mobile phone
- Gambling on credit is not allowed.
What are the rules for Singapore Pools and Singapore Turf Club?
Singapore Pools and the Turf Club have to implement several measures. These include:
- a self-exclusion system where individuals can voluntarily exclude themselves from betting;
- provide information on responsible gambling and help services (for problem gambling) to all players before they are allowed to gamble;
- notifications on daily deposits and winnings/losses when the player logs in or out of his account;
- alerts indicating that the player has exceeded 75 per cent of his expenditure limit when he logs in or out of his account;
- publish the odds of winning (where applicable) on the websites of the exempt operators; and
- provide player access to monthly statements of his gambling activities and patterns.