Ms Serene Lim died on Sunday night (Feb 14) when she became unconscious during a tuina therapy at a Traditional Chinese Medicine clinic in Orchard Road.

Woman dies after TCM massage

Woman dies after massage at TCM clinic

Last Sunday, she told her mother that she would be home for dinner.

Ms Serene Lim (below), 27, had gone to Orchard Road in the afternoon to do some shopping and to go for a facial and a massage.

While waiting for her return, her family received a call from Tan Tock Seng Hospital at about 8pm, informing them that she was undergoing emergency treatment.

By the time the family arrived at the hospital, it was too late. Ms Lim had died at 8.47pm.

Her mother told Chinese daily Lianhe Wanbao that her daughter had gone for tuina therapy at a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) clinic in Orchard Road.

During the TCM massage, Ms Lim, a former manager, slipped into a coma after experiencing body convulsions, the paper reported.

Two doctors contacted by The New Paper said that in general, there are no concerns with having massages if a person is healthy. 


Ms Lim's mother, a part-time cleaner, told Lianhe Wanbao: "She was a filial daughter. She told us that in five years' time, we would not have to work any more."

Ms Lim, an only child, lived with her mother and her father, an air-con technician, at Hougang Avenue 1. She was due to start her new job at a bank the day after her death.

It is unclear if she had any health conditions.

At her wake yesterday evening, many guests in office attire lined up to pay their respects.

Her family members declined to be interviewed.

Lianhe Wanbao reported yesterday that a physician at the TCM clinic called the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) for assistance at around 7.30pm when Ms Lim became unconscious.

An SCDF spokesman told TNP that pending the arrival of an ambulance at the clinic, "dispatcher-assisted cardiac pulmonary resuscitation was initiated over the phone" with a person from the clinic.

The clinic owner, a physician and an employee were said to be helping with police investigations, reported Lianhe Wanbao.

The owner told the daily that it was Ms Lim's first visit to the clinic.

A police spokesman told TNP yesterday that a report had been made and investigations are ongoing.