Singapore

HDB: Choke not caused by upgrading

The choke at Madam Tan Siew Tin's flat last weekend was not caused by the Home Improvement Programme upgrading.

The Housing Board told The New Paper that Block 606, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 5, where she lives, was upgraded in August last year.

Its spokesman said: "The improvements carried out under the programme included upgrading the existing toilets and bathrooms, and replacing the sanitary pipes.

"Upon the completion of the works, the sanitary pipes were flushed and cleaned to ensure that there were no chokes."

After receiving complaints from Madam Tan's household about the incident last weekend, an HDB-appointed contractor flushed the main waste pipe and found rags and napkins inside.

The HDB spokesman said: "We urge residents not to discard items like sanitary napkins, diapers and solid waste into the toilet bowl and floor trap in the future, as they may cause chokage of pipes."