News

snapshot

The monorail service on Sentosa was suspended for more than two hours yesterday evening.

Two-way shuttle bus services were available from the Beach Station to HarbourFront Bus Interchange, the Sentosa management said in Facebook and Twitter updates around 7pm.

"Our Sentosa Express has resumed normal operations as of 9.30pm," it tweeted later.

Some 9,000 runners were on the island yesterday, for the first day of the Color Run, a two-day event.

In December last year, some 60 passengers had to be rescued after a two-carriage Sentosa Express train stalled.


Three of the six workers injured in a fire at a Shell facility on Pulau Bukom were discharged from hospital by yesterday morning, the oil giant said.

The other three remained in hospital, two of them are in the Intensive Care Unit, and the third is in a "stable condition", The Straits Times quoted a Singapore General Hospital spokesman as saying.

A Shell spokesman said: "We continue to follow the progress and treatment of the other three workers closely and are working with our contractor to ensure all possible support and assistance are rendered to the injured workers and their families."

The fire broke out on Friday evening at a site under scheduled maintenance.


The son of ousted Thai premier Thaksin Shinawatra has more than doubled the reward offered by police for the capture of those behind the bombing in Bangkok on Monday. He has put up nearly US$200,000 (S$281,000).

The attack on the Erawan shrine killed 20 people, sending shock waves through the nation's vital tourism sector.

Police have offered a three million baht (S$118,500) reward for any information that leads to the capture of the assailant.

That offer has now been more than doubled by Mr Panthongtae Shinawatra, the first-born son of the former populist leader. Mr Thaksin lives abroad in self-imposed exile after a corruption conviction that he insists was political.


An explosion hit a chemical plant last night in Shandong, eastern China, state media Xinhua reported.

More than 150 fire fighters and soldiers spent about two hours bringing the ensuing fires under control, according to Chinese online publication The Paper, and at least nine casualties were taken to hospital.

The incident came just 10 days after the Aug 12 Tianjin warehouse blast, the death toll from which climbed to 121 yesterday, up from 116 on Friday, Xinhua reported.

The dead include 67 firefighters and seven policemen. A total of 54 people remain missing, and some 640 people are still hospitalised.