In their submissions, the prosecution said it could not be disputed that the rape victim went through an "extremely traumatic and harrowing experience".

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) David Khoo told Justice Tay Yong Kwang yesterday: "In addition to the innate reprehensible nature of rape, the present offences taken in totality, also involve a significant element of violence."

DPP Khoo also said the rapist was examined at the Institute of Mental Health (IMH) and found to be suffering from adjustment disorder.

He said: "Despite the above diagnosis, it is highlighted that (his) IMH report clearly states that he was not of unsound mind...when the...act of rape was carried out."

In his mitigation, the man's lawyer, Mr Lee Cheong Hoh, told the court that his client's mental disorder could make him prone to violence.

The lawyer also stressed that the man is remorseful.

Before handing out the sentence, Justice Tay said he took into account that the man was 22 when he committed the offence. He also noted the previous sexual relations the man had with his ex-girlfriend before the relationship went sour.

But the judge noted the aggravating factors of the case.

The man had committed "a string of offences in a short space of time", said Justice Tay, who sentenced him to seven years' jail and six strokes of the cane.

For rape, the man could have been jailed up to 20 years and fined or caned. For voluntarily causing hurt by using a poison, he could have been jailed up to 10 years, and fined or caned.


The 22-year-old man becomes angry when his Malaysian girlfriend wants to leave his flat.

He pushes her down onto a bed, sits on her stomach and pins her hands down.

He then presses a pillow over her mouth to suffocate her before attempting to strangle her with his hand.

The man thinks she is dead when she becomes motionless.

He decides to get rid of her body by stuffing it into 
a suitcase, but fails to do 
so after two attempts.


He decides to die with the 23-year-old married woman when he is unable to carry her out of his flat.

When he realises she is still alive, he gets a bottle of air freshener concentrate and squeezes some into her mouth, causing her to vomit on 
the floor.


He removes the woman's shirt after noticing that it is stained with vomit.

But he becomes sexually aroused while undressing her and rapes her.

She does not resist or put up a struggle as she is in a semi-conscious state.


Still determined to end both their lives, the man takes a utility knife and uses it to cut the woman's right wrist. He also cuts her stomach.

Following this, he tries to commit suicide by cutting his own wrists.

He also drinks some of the air freshener liquid and swallows some prescription tablets used to treat fever.