World

Over 190 people still trapped on Mt Kinabalu

A total 151 people are still trapped on the summit of Mount Kinabalu while the fate of 40 others on the Via Feratta route to the mountain remains unknown.

Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said so far, 29 climbers had returned to base at Kundasang.

He added that three people — a female Turkish tourist Semiha Turkay, mountain trainer Robi Satingga, 30 and a trainer with Mountain Torq, James Mikol, 29 — sustained serious injuries during a rockfall after the 7.17am earthquake on Friday (June 5).

Earlier, Tourism, Culture and Environment Minister Masidi Manjun said there are about 38 to 42 Sabah Parks guides and workers in the mountain with the climbers. 

Meanwhile, tremors shook Kota Kinabalu and other parts of Sabah’s west coast.  

Initial reports from the Malaysian Meteorological Services Department said the quake struck 16km northwest of Ranau.

No tsunami warning

The US Geological Survey put it at 6 on the Richter scale.

No tsunami warning was issued.

It said that the strong quake struck at a depth of 10km, The Star reported.

Apart from the state capital, the tremors were felt in the northern Kudat and Kota Marudu districts, and as far away Beaufort in the south. 

The tremors shook buildings and rattled windows prompting people to run out from their houses, shops, and even at the Kota Kinabalu International Airport terminal. 

The iconic Donkey’s Ear Peak has been destroyed due to the tremors.

The twin peak landmark resembles a pair of donkey’s ears, with the top of one of the peaks falling off.

Source: The Star 

 

malaysiaMt KinabaluNatural DisasterUncategorisedearthquake