World

Search for MH370 likely to stop next year if no new info emerges

The search for missing Malaysia Airlines MH370 jet will likely end early next year if no new information emerges, the Australian government-led Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC) said in a statement.

"As announced in April, the search area has been expanded beyond an original 60,000 sq km search area to enable up to 120,000 sq km to be searched if required.

"In the absence of credible new information that leads to the identification of a specific location of the aircraft, Governments have agreed that there will be no further expansion of the search area," the agency said.

The plane disappeared on March 8 last year with 239 people on board.

It was flying from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Australia, Malaysia and China have been involved in the search for the missing aircraft.

Search teams have been conducting underwater operations in the southern Indian Ocean, where the plane is thought to have ended up at.

Sources: CNN, Mirror

MH370malaysia airlinesIndian OceanAustraliaChinamalaysiaUncategorised