World

Glass in students' mee goreng

Seven students hospitalised after eating contaminated noodles

Seven students under the Malaysian government's Supplementary Food Programme were admitted to hospital after reportedly eating glass shards found in a mee goreng (fried noodles) meal on Wednesday.

Kuala Kubu Baru assemblywoman Lee Kee Hiong said the children's parents suspect that a glass window on the supplier's lorry shattered during the journey to Ladang Nigel Gardner School in Hulu Selangor.

This may have resulted in glass shards falling onto the food.

"I was told that when the students tried to show a teacher that there was glass in the noodles...(they) were told to throw it away, that it was just plastic," claimed Ms Lee.

But some of the children ate two plates of noodles because they were very hungry, reported The Star.

On Thursday, a few students complained about feeling ill.

But it was not until Friday that the situation appeared dire enough for the school to send them to the Batang Berjuntai clinic.

The staff there deemed the situation serious, prompting the parents to take the children to Sungai Buloh Hospital.

Four girls and three boys were admitted on Friday. Some found traces of blood in their vomit, while others complained of bloody stools.

"Very kesian (Malay for pitiful), because they don't know what to say, they're in pain. Other than that, they don't know what is happening," said Ms Lee, who added that two students have been discharged since her visit on Saturday.

At the time of The Star's report, the food supplier from Batang Berjuntai had yet to appear at the hospital, though the school's headmaster had apologised to the parents.

The parents have not lodged a police report yet as they were busy caring for their children.

Deputy Education Minister P. Kamalanathan sent an officer to meet the students on Saturday.

malaysiaUncategorisedfoodcontaminatedhospitalSelangor