Halted evacuation of Aleppo leaves Syrians stranded
ALEPPO, SYRIA Dozens of buses began entering the last rebel-held parts of Aleppo yesterday to resume the evacuation of thousands of increasingly desperate trapped Syrian civilians and rebels.
The operation was suspended on Friday, a day after convoys of evacuees had begun leaving the rebel sector under a deal allowing the Syrian regime to take full control of the battleground city.
Buses started entering several neighbourhoods yesterday under the supervision of the Red Crescent and the International Committee of the Red Cross "to bring the remaining terrorists and their families out," state news agency SANA said, referring to the rebels.
A military source confirmed to AFP that a new evacuation deal had been reached. State television said 100 buses would take people out of Aleppo.
The main obstacle to a resumption had been a disagreement over the number of people to be evacuated in parallel from two Shiite villages, Fuaa and Kafraya, under rebel siege in northwestern Syria. - AFP