Ancelotti: Impossible to shut Blatter up

Carlo Ancelotti is not too impressed with Sepp Blatter's comments.

Real Madrid boss Carlo Ancelotti has launched a scathing attack on Fifa president Sepp Blatter as he backed Cristiano Ronaldo’s case to win a second consecutive Ballon d’Or in January.

The 23-man list for the award announced on Tuesday includes four-time winner Lionel Messi, and six German World Cup winners.

Blatter said earlier this week that German goalkeeper Manuel Neuer should have been crowned as the best player of the World Cup rather than Argentine Messi – something Ancelotti sees as potentially influencing those whose Ballon d’Or votes will count.

And the former AC Milan and Chelsea boss said he believes Ronaldo’s goal-scoring feats in Madrid’s Champions League success makes him the deserving winner for the Ballon d’Or.

“It always surprises me what he does, but what are we going to do? It’s impossible to shut the mouth of the FIFA president,” said the Italian ahead of Madrid’s Copa del Rey game against UD Cornella on Wednesday.

Ronaldo's year

“There isn’t much to think about. It is Cristiano’s year, he scored goals and won important titles. There should be no doubt that he is the Ballon d’Or.”

Madrid begin their defence of the Copa del Rey in promising form after brushing Barcelona aside 3-1 at the weekend to register their ninth consecutive win in all competitions.

Some of Sepp Blatter's most controversial comments:

2004 - Regarding the attire of female footballers, he said: "Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball. They could, for example, have tighter shorts. Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men—such as playing with a lighter ball. That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?"

2008 - On Cristiano Ronaldo's desired move from Manchester United to Real Madrid he said: "I think in football there's too much modern slavery in transferring players or buying players here and there, and putting them somewhere." 

2010 - On the issue involving the gay community, Blatter mentioned: "I'd say they (gay fans) should refrain from any sexual activities," regarding the cultural aspects at Qatar in 2022.

2010 - Surrounding John Terry's involvement in a scandal with the ex-girlfriend of former team-mate Wayne Bridge which saw him lose England captaincy, Blatter said: "Listen, this is a special approach in the Anglo-Saxon countries". He added: "If this had happened in let's say Latin countries then I think he would have been applauded."

2011 - On racism: "There is no racism, there is maybe one of the players towards the other, he has a word or a gesture which is not the correct one, but also the one who is affected by that, he should say it's a game, we are in a game. At the end of the game, we shake hands, this can happen, because we have worked so hard against racism and discrimination."

Source: AFP, Bleacher Report

Related stories:

Blatter pledges Fifa support for Russian World Cup despite boycott threats

Fifa to ban third-party ownerships

​Blatter: Qatar World Cup a mistake

Lorry driver fined $25,000 for dumping waste at Old Upper Thomson Road

File photo of a lorry being loaded with earth. A lorry driver was fined $25,000 on Wednesday for illegally dumping excavated earth at Old Upper Thomson Road.

A lorry driver was fined $25,000 on Wednesday for illegally dumping excavated earth at Old Upper Thomson Road.

Neo Aik Khee was instructed by his employer to dispose of the unwanted material at Changi Staging ground, stated a National Environment Agency (NEA) press release on Wednesday.

But when his lorry tyre punctured, he decided to dump the 10 tonnes of earth at a public place instead.

The NEA investigated the incident after a complaint was made on Oct 28 last year.

He was charged under the Environmental Public Health Act.

On Wednesday, Neo was fined $25,000, in default 25 days imprisonment.

In the press release, NEA said the number of illegal dumping cases has dropped from 160 in 2000 to 38 last year.


How you can help:

  • Call NEA's 24-hour hotline 1800-CALL NEA (1800-2255-632) if you witness any illegal dumping activity.
  • If possible, give the date, time and location of the incident as well as the registration number of the vehicle.
  • Any photos and videos that can provide leads are welcomed

Man arrested for attacking three women in Woodlands

Police have arrested a 31-year-old man who allegedly attacked three women in Woodlands in separate cases earlier this year.

The women made the reports of Aggravated Outrage of Modesty between March and August, stated a police press release on Wednesday.

The police conducted intensive investigations, but the culprit remained elusive for months.

The authorities eventually established the culprit's identity, and arrested him near Kranji Road at about 8.25pm on Tuesday (Oct 28).

He will be charged in court tomorrow (Oct 30) with Outrage of Modesty under Certain Circumstances.

If found guilty of the offence, he can be jailed for up to 10 years and caned.


Police advice:

  • Be wary of strangers who approach you in crowded areas
  • Stay close to your friends or move around in groups when in crowded places
  • Be aware of your surroundings
  • If someone stands exceptionally close to you, or if you suspect that you are being followed, remain calm and proceed to a crowded area or call the police
  • Avoid taking short-cuts through dark and deserted places
  • ​Do not enter a lift with a stranger. Let the stranger take the lift and wait for the next one
  • Where possible, do not nap while travelling on public transport
  • If you are returning home late at night, ask someone to escort you
  • If you are molested, shout for help or activate your shrill alarm. Take note of what the culprit looked like, where he/she went and his/her mode of escape. Call the police

Indonesian teams disqualified over 'elephant football' scandal

YouTube screenshot of a news report showing a goalkeeper failing to stop an own goal being scored during an Indonesian Premier Division football match.
YouTube screenshot of a news report showing a goalkeeper failing to stop an own goal being scored during an Indonesian Premier Division football match.

The two teams who tried to throw an Indonesian Premier Division football match which saw five own goals scored have been disqualified by the Indonesian Football Association (PSSI).

The farcical Indonesian second-tier match, which has been coined as the "elephant football" scandal in Indonesia, saw PSS Sleman and PSIS Semarang unwilling to compete as they tried to avoid a semi-final tie against Pusamania Borneo FC, a team that has alleged links with local mafia.

AFP reported that PSSI has thrown the two teams out of the competition and will place the remaining matches on hold to investigate the matter.

Hinca Panjaitan, who is heading PSSI's discplinary commission looking into the matter, said: "We have disqualified the two clubs from the competition."

He also warned that the "actor behind this drama" could be hit with further punishments as the PSSI continue their probe.

 

 

Source: AFP

Related story: Footballers score five own goals in dodgy Indonesian second-tier match

Ref Clattenburg dropped...over an Ed Sheeran concert

Referee Mark Clattenburg has been dropped for this weekend's English Premier League matches due two breaches of protocol.
Referee Mark Clattenburg has been dropped for this weekend's English Premier League matches due two breaches of protocol.

English Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg has been axed from this weekend's round of top flight matches after he breached protocol - to attend an Ed Sheeran concert.

Various media outlets in the UK reported that the 39-year-old drove to Newcastle on his own after West Brom's 2-2 draw against Crystal Palace to attend the pop star's gig.

He broke a referee body rule that states that match officials must travel together to and from a stadium in order to maintain their integrity and security.

Clattenburg, who is considered one of England's top referee, also fell afoul of another Premier League regulation by speaking to Palace boss Neil Warnock on the phone after the match.

Regulations dictate that all match officials must be present during any conversation with a club manager.

Source: BBC, The Guardian

WATCH: Daniel Radcliffe wows audience with rapping skills on The Tonight Show

Daniel Radcliffe famous for his protagonist role in the Harry Potter film series.

Daniel Radcliffe, take a bow. 

During his appearance on The Tonight Show on Tuesday, the Harry Potter star revealed that he was obsessed with  memorising fast-paced and lyrically intricate songs.

Host Jimmy Fallon then decided to test Radcliffe by getting him to sing Blackalicious' tongue twisting "Alphabet Aerobics."   

Sit back, turn up the volume, and be awed. 

Source: Metro, The Huffington Post

Ellen's three funniest (borderlining mean) celeb scare pranks

Check out the funniest Ellen scare pranks.

Halloween's on Friday (Oct 31) but we thought we'd have a funny twist to things before the spookiness takes over at the end of the week.

With that, we thought we'd show you some of Ellen Degeneres best celeb-scare videos.

After all, she has scared quite a few people in her time hosting her talk show and everyone knows she does it pretty well.

We've seen her most recent scare video where she shocks her show's executive producer Andy with the Annabelle doll...four times.

Hilarious!

Here are three other videos where Ellen takes her 'expertise' to A-listers Jake Gyllenhaal, Taylor Swift and Eric Stonestreet.

1. Jake Gyllenhaal Gets Scared

 

2. Taylor Swift was headed to check out her private bathroom until...

 

3. Modern Family's Eric Stonestreet gets scared...again...

 

Source: YouTube

Maradona accuses girlfriend of theft after leaked video

Diego Maradona at Johannesburg, South Africa in 2010.

Former Argentine soccer star Diego Maradona filed a theft complaint on Tuesday against his girlfriend, Rocio Oliva, after a video which allegedly shows him hitting her was leaked online.

“I spoke to Diego and he filed the complaint,” Oliva told Argentine television.

Oliva, 22, has a turbulent relationship with Maradona, 53. He lives in Dubai and has a sports promotion contract.

Argentine television channels have released a short video supposedly shot by Oliva in a room in Maradona’s home.

In the blurry footage, Oliva can be heard saying “Stop, stop” as if she is trying to stop an attack.

Maradona has said he had knocked the phone from her hands but denies hitting Oliva, a footballer.

She said she was not responsible for the video being leaked and instead blamed an unnamed “nephew” of Maradona.

In March this year, Maradona accused her of stealing jewellery and other valuable items in their home in Dubai.

The couple are a staple in Argentina’s tabloid and celebrity press.

Source: AFP

Robbers hijack armoured van while guards were away having dinner

Robbers in Malaysia hijacked an armoured van on Monday evening while the guards were having dinner at a nearby restaurant.

They tied up the driver, who was the only person in the vehicle, and made away with RM 2 million (S$778,000) in cash.

The incident happened in Seri KembanganSelangor

The van was parked several metres away from the restaurant where the three guards were having their meal.

Caught him by surprise

The driver told police that a couple of men with pistols caught him by surprise and tied him up, reported The Star.

The robbers drove off in the vehicle, but abandoned it soon after at about 9pm.

It was only 15 minutes after finishing their meal that the guards realised the van was missing,

They combed the area and found it nearby with the driver still tied up. But by then, the robbers had already fled.

'Why stop to eat?'

But the police have doubts about their story and have detained the driver and the three guards.

Selangor police chief Abdul Samah Che Mat said they should not have stopped the vehicle with so much money inside.

He said: “Standard operating procedure does not allow them to stop. They were carrying a lot of money. Why stop to eat?

"That’s against their training.” 

Source: The Star

Woman gets relatives to 'abduct' her husband in a bid to save their marriage

She wanted to patch things up with husband who had left home after a misunderstanding.

So she asked her relatives to bring him back to their home near Petaling Jaya, Malaysia.

Her plan? To keep things hush-hush and resolve their differences privately.

But things didn't go as she expected.

The woman's relatives tracked him down to a restaurant in Taman Sri Manja.

But when they approached him on Tuesday morning, he refused to return home.

'Abduction'

The 53-year-old man started kicking and screaming, and a brief scuffle ensued.

Thinking that the man was being abducted, a passer-by recorded the incident and uploaded it on social media.

In the video, the quartet is seen trying to persuade the man to board the car. 

But the man refuses and waves his hands, trying to free himself.

A brief scuffle ensues before the group grabs the protesting man by his legs and arms and carries him into the car.

'Avoid a public scene'

The one-minute recording went viral, with netizens urging the police to act.

Petaling Jaya Assistant Commissioner of Police​ Azmi Abu Kassim said they contacted the supposed victim and confirmed that he was safe.

"His wife wanted to bring him home so that they could settle their differences. To avoid a public scene, she asked four of her relatives to find and bring him home," he said.

Mr Azmi said people reported seeing four men tussle with the victim outside a restaurant before dragging him into a car and driving off at about 11.40am.

Source: The Star

 

Pages