His mum inspired him to help stranger
How did it turn bad so quickly?
Man loses finger to frostbite... in Clementi
Minimart owner's finger amputated after he gets frostbite cleaning freezer
A man has lost his finger to frostbite in tropical Singapore.
In a rush for time on Dec 6 last year, minimart owner Ng Hoe Ghee, 42, forgot to turn off an ice cream freezer before cleaning it.
The middle finger of his left hand got so infected by the frostbite that doctors had to amputate it.
Mr Ng had not sought medical treatment as he was busy. By the time, he went to Singapore General Hospital on Dec 16, his finger had turned gangrene and had to be amputated.
Despite the loss of his finger, Mr Ng said: "I suppose you could say I'm very lucky. The doctors told me I could have gone into a coma because of my diabetes, or if my blood had got infected by the gangrene."
Read the full report in our print edition on Jan 7.
Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.
M'sian mother cuts her wrist, posts photo of injury on Facebook to spite daughter’s headmaster
A teacher in Penang and posted a photo of her injury on Facebook to show her displeasure with her daughter’s headmaster, Nanyang Siang Pau reported.
The teacher claimed her oldest daughter, who has acute leukaemia, was given an ‘E’ in co-curricular activity despite a doctor’s letter exempting her from taking part.
The woman had taught Mathematics and Physics at the same school in 2013, but later transferred to another school.
In her Facebook post on Friday, the teacher accused the headmaster of causing her stress.
'I want to avoid seeing you'
She also posted a caption under the photograph: "You can’t see that, so I’ll use a way where you can see how you have tortured me in the last one year.
"I have transferred to another school because I want to avoid seeing you, the devil.
"Thank you for your New Year’s gift, as a show of courtesy, I must return your gesture. I hope you like my gift."
The woman added that she would not commit suicide, and was merely expressing her dissatisfaction.
The school’s headmaster reportedly said that he was being targeted by the teacher after mediating an argument between her and a fellow teacher.
Source: The Star Online
Balotelli's attempts to flirt on Instagram fail spectacularly
It's just not happening for Mario Balotelli, is it?
Left to gather splinters on his bum as he continues to warm the Liverpool bench, the Italian striker has been trying his luck with two Icelandic ladies on Instagram - but to no avail.
His attempt to woo one lass were exposed on Twitter by her boyfriend:
In case you don't read Icelandic, Jonatan's message reads: "The moment Balotelli tries to steal your girlfriend."
To his credit, Jonatan could see the funny side of a (in)famous footballer hitting on his significant other.
That failure didn't deter Balotelli, however, as he went after another Scandinavian beauty.
While Margaret Iris didn't have someone like Jonatan to put her exchange with the former Manchester City footballer online, she did contact Icelandic football website Fotbolti.net and hand over a screenshot of her conversation to them.
Guess Balotelli's brags about being with another glamour model girlfriend after splitting with fiancee Fanny Neguesha in September weren't really true or lasting after all.
Down, down, down: Ringgit continues to slide
Singaporeans have been getting more bang for their buck across the Causeway as the ringgit has been falling against the Singapore dollar.
In the last six months, the ringgit has dropped by 3.63% against the Singapore dollar.
The exchange rate is now RM2.6493 for every S$1.
The ringgit has also fallen to its lowest against the US dollar since August 2009.
The downward pressure is likely to continue as concerns about the impact of falling crude oil prices on Malaysia's economy remain, said economist Lee Heng Guie.
Malaysia, which is a net exporter of crude oil and petroleum, is seen as the biggest loser in Asean of lower oil prices.
Here is the ringgit's performance against some currencies since July last year.
Source: The Star
Trouble at the Nou Camp? Puyol leaves as Barca sack director
Are Barcelona falling apart?
Trouble is certainly brewing at the Nou Camp after the struggling giants fired sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta, prompting his assistant Carles Puyol to leave the club he has been at since 1995 as well.
The news came after Barca suffered a shock 1-0 defeat to David Moyes' Real Sociedad on Monday morning (Singapore time), preventing the Catalans from taking La Liga's top spot from leader Real Madrid.
While no official reason has been given for Zubizarreta's dismissal, the former Barca goalkeeper is believed to have been under-fire for the club's bungles in the transfer market.
Summer signing Douglas Pereira has started just one league match for Barca while Thomas Vermaelen has yet to make his debut since his move from Arsenal.
Compounding matters is a one-year transfer ban implemented by Fifa over the signing of underaged players - a situation that Zubizarreta has assumed responsibility for.
Shortly after Zubizarreta's departure was confirmed, club legend Puyol announced that would also be leaving his role as part of Barcelona's sports management team.
The former defender retired after the 2013/14 season and was subsequently placed under Zubizarreta's wing.
In a statement released on Facebook, Puyol did not rule out a return to Barca in the future as he said: "I now want to experience other things from another perspective and from elsewhere.
"I hope to grow both personally and professionally so that, in the future, I can return to this house and give back everything that you have undoubtebly given me during these unforgettable years."
Barca president Josep Maria Bartomeu is set to appear before the media on Wednesday (Jan 7) to explain Zubizarreta's sacking.
The club's troubles have also apparently found their way onto the playing field as well with several media outlets like Marca reporting mounting tensions between head coach Luis Enrique and Lionel Messi.
The Argentine superstar reportedly came down with gastroenteritis, forcing him to miss the training session after Barca's shock defeat to Sociedad.
But Messi's absence has been interpreted as sign that a rift between him and Enrique is festering amid reports that the former AS Roma boss has lost the dressing room at the Nou Camp.
Despite hanging on to second place and just one point behind Real Madrid, it isn't shaping up to be a better second half of the season Barca fans have been wishing for.
Sources: AFP, Marca
David Gan gives two local celebs a '$125k' Hermes Birkin bag each
David Gan sure knows how to treat his friends.
The local celebrity hairstylist shocked many of his followers on Instagram yesterday with a picture of him giving Taiwan-born Singapore-based host Quan Yifeng and local actor Ben Yeo a Hermes bag each. The picture was posted on all each of the trio's Instagram accounts.
According to Yeo, 36, each Birkin bag costs $125,000.
He added the hashtag #guesshowmuchisthis after captioning it : "(David Gan) Thank you so much for this crazy present."
Yeo later revealed the price of his gift which left many netizens green with envy.
On her post, Quan, 40, also thanked Gan for the "big present". The response to her was similar to Yeo's. A number of comments including, "wahhhh!", "oh my god!!!", "the size of it is so exaggeratedly huge!" and "i also want!" were posted.
Gan himself, who didn't reveal why he decided to buy such exorbitant gifts, instead cryptically called for a breakthrough for thelocal entertainment industry.
He wrote on his post: "There is no first or second, as long as one likes it, it will always be first. Let us cheer for our entertainment industry that has yet to take off, hopefully it flourishes someday. Thank you, I will always love you (Quan Yifeng)."
School bullies who allegedly beat up classmate in Kedah arrested
Video footage of a helpless boy in Kedah being kicked, hit and having a dustbin placed over his head has gone viral on Facebook and YouTube.
Kedah police spokesman Zamri Yahya said four police reports were lodged after the video showed year six pupils from a school in Alor Setar bullying their classmate.
They were arrested, the police said.
"The pupils involved in the incident know each other. Preliminary investigations showed that it happened in September last year and all of them had just finished their UPSR (Ujian Pencapaian Sekolah Rendah) examination," said the officer.
He added that the case was being investigated for rioting.
The New Straits Times reported that the video began circulating on WhatsApp on Friday (Jan 2).
The victim, who at one point had a broom brushed at his face, was not injured.
"All six have been released on police bail after their statements were recorded," said Mr Zamri.
The victim's family had a meeting with the headmaster and decided against taking legal action against the perpetrators, said Alor Setar Malaysian Indian Congress division youth chief W. Thiruchandru.
The boy will be transferred to a religious school in Perlis when school resumes next week, added Mr Thiruchandru.
Source: The Star Online