Aliff Aziz speaks up after mobile phone theft case

Malay actor-singer Aliff Aziz has finally spoken up about his mobile phone theft charge which resulted in the star paying a S$2000 fine last week.

News surfaced last week that Singaporean singer-actor Aliff Aziz was charged with stealing two mobile phones.

A recent report in The New Paper wrote that the singer, 23, was fined S$2,000 on Friday (Oct 3) for stealing two mobile phones - a HTC One and a Samsung Note 1, valued at $800 each - which belong to a man identified as Mr Yong Kit Siong.

He was accused of the theft which reportedly happened at void deck of Block 36, Tanglin Halt Road, just past midnight less than five months ago (May 24).

Since then, the singer had deleted all of the images of his Instagram account.

On Tuesday (Oct 7) evening, Aliff posted several tweets suggesting his innocence and pleading with his fans to "forgive him for the confusion". 

He also claimed that he would "never do things of that nature".

See what Aliff had to say about the incident in the series of tweets below:

 

 

Dedicated fans responded with messages of support, which were retweeted by the singer. 

 

 

 

 

Sources: Twitter

Tags: Aliff Aziz and theft

3 more people isolated in Spain as fears grow of European Ebola outbreak

An entrance to the Carlos III hospital, where a Spanish nurse who contracted Ebola is being treated.
An entrance to the Carlos III hospital, where a Spanish nurse who contracted Ebola is being treated.

Fears grew on Tuesday that the Ebola epidemic was spreading outside Africa.

Three more people were isolated in Spain following the infection of a nurse in a Madrid hospital.

The European Union demanded answers about how the disease could have spread in Spain’s most specialist unit treating Ebola.

The nurse cared for two elderly Spanish missionaries who died from the virus after being flown home from west Africa.

Tests confirmed that the 40-year-old nurse is the first person to contract the virus outside Africa.

Doctors said her husband was at “high risk” and has been admitted to the La Paz-Carlos III hospital, where the nurse worked. 

Suspect case

Another “suspect case” – a man recently returned from abroad – is also being monitored there.

One of the nurse’s colleagues, who has been suffering from diarrhoea, has also been taken in for observation.

The infected nurse began to feel ill on Sept 30 while on leave after treating the two priests in the hospital’s isolation unit.

But she did not go to hospital until Sunday – five days later – complaining of a fever, government officials said.

She is now being treated in the same unit.

Health officials said they were trying to find out who she came into contact with, and were monitoring 30 people – including co-workers – for Ebola symptoms.

The infection also sparked questions about how safety procedures were applied when treating the two missionaries.

Health workers attend a protest outside La Paz Hospital calling for Spain's Health Minister Ana Mato to resign.

Health workers attend a protest outside La Paz Hospital calling for Spain's Health Minister Ana Mato to resign.

“People are freaked out,” a cardiologist at the hospital told AFP. 

“We cannot understand how someone who was wearing a double protection suit and two pairs of gloves could have been contaminated.”

She claimed Spain was not up to dealing with the hemorrhagic fever and questioned the decision to repatriate the missionaries.

Source: AFP

 

WATCH: Jessie J surprises fans as she goes busking in London

Jessie J surprises her UK fans as she busks at Camden Markets.

An award-winning diva busking on the street?

UK singer Jessie J, 26, did just that, appearing at Camden Market in London on Monday (Oct 6) singing her latest hits in front of a bunch of excited fans, Contact Music reported

She says during an interview before her performance that spent "a lot of time" in Camden when she was younger, and that the place "houses a lot of memories (for her)."

The Bang Bang singer displayed her vocal brilliance in the most simple manner possible - with just a microphone and a guitar.

Jessie J, whose real name is Jessica Cornish, revealed her surprise gig in a series of tweets.

Two hours later, she wrote:

Not long after that, she said:

In the YouTube video, she tells her fans that one of her first gigs ever was at the Camden Stables (another name locals give to Camden Market).

Check out the full video below:

 

Source: YouTube, Contact Music and Twitter

EPL Hits and Misses: The one after the Hari Raya Haji break

Chelsea top the list (again) after Jose Mourinho gets the better of Arsene Wenger (again). Manchester United are clicking into gear while Burnley finally overcome their goal drought. Read on for Hits and Misses from last weekend's EPL action...

Santi Cazorla reacts during Arsenal's 2-0 defeat to Chelsea.
Santi Cazorla reacts during Arsenal's 2-0 defeat to Chelsea.

HITS

Chelsea
Jose Mourinho might not be able to see his team joining Arsenal and Preston North End among the ranks of the Invincibles, but after chewing through the Gunners with ease, the Portuguese seems to be making his own words look hollow. The Blues are five points clear of second-placed Manchester City and have a healthier than healthy goal difference of 14. Even though this exciting incarnation of Chelsea looks a far cry from the defensive and dour Mourinho sides of old, their firepower up front is irresistible with Cesc Fabregas more than happy to keep feeding goal machine Diego Costa. There's still a long way to go this season with more than 30 games to go still, but it's really hard picturing the Blues slipping up any time soon.

Diego Costa and Cesc Fabregas
Take it away, Opta Joe.

 

 

 

 

 

Manchester United
Slowly easing their way out of their worst start in the EPL era and back in familiar ground on the league table. While the fixtures list granted United the advantage to face an Everton side fatigued by a gruelling Europa League tie in Russia, the Toffees proved that they were no pushovers at Old Trafford and were foiled from repeating their Merseyside derby heroics by an outstanding David de Gea. However, in the aftermath of losing to Leicester, it seems like United have been slowly rediscovering the resilience and menace that were lost under David Moyes. United's first test of the season against top four opposition will come when they host Chelsea at the end of the month, but the Red Devils will take a massive confidence boost into the international break instead of the gloom and doom they felt in September.


David de Gea
Simply top drawer stuff to ensure his team kept all three points.

Radamel Falcao
With said visit of Chelsea looming, the Colombian could not have picked a better moment to open his Old Trafford account.

Yaya Toure
Scored a beauty to break down a stubborn Aston Villa and shoot down some of his critics.

Mauricio Pochettino
Gets one over his old team while stopping a rot in home form with one win. Not too shabby.


Liverpool
A much-needed win to arrest a worrying slide. It wasn't the prettiest performance from the Reds, but Brendan Rodgers and Co. will certainly take all three points against a West Brom side that had been steadily gaining form before their visit to Anfield. Along with Adama Lallana getting off the mark with a well-worked goal for the opener, Rodgers should be pleased with Steven Gerrard's response to being switched into an attacking midfield role behind Mario Balotelli. It could be the remedy for the Liverpool captain's waning on-pitch influence and help him rediscover some form.

Jordan Henderson
Aside from a lovely one-two for Lallana's opener and well-placed finish for the winning goal, Henderson certainly deserved his man of the match award for a tireless match-winning display.

Conor Wickham and Steven Fletcher
The first Sunderland strikers to score this season.

Burnley
Finally ended their goal drought after 655 minutes of football. Apart from that massive relief, earning a point off high-flying Leicester to get off the foot of the table is a pretty sweet bonus.


Diafra Sakho
The latest EPL success story out of France with five goals from five starts for West Ham. Could prove to be a real bargain buy for Sam Allardyce if he continues his current form.

MISSES


Arsene Wenger
 He might be known as the Professor, but Arsene Wenger clearly has a problem outsmarting Jose Mourinho. Twelve games played between them, none won by the Frenchman. While Arsenal have an admirable commitment to playing attractive football, it must infuriate Gunners fans to see their manager continuing to use the same tactics against the Portuguese and see them backfire in his face every time. It seems strange calling a 64-year-old man naive, but that's exactly how Wenger is when it comes to taking on their top rivals. Like his being goaded into a shoving match on the touchline with Mourinho, Wenger's side were played by their opponents who knew exactly what buttons to push to get the win.

Stoke City
That win over Manchester City seems an eon ago.

Everton
It might seem harsh to place Everton here after they put up a proper fight at Old Trafford only to be thwarted by an inspired David de Gea, but the fact of the matter is that the Toffees are clearly struggling to come to terms with the added burden of European football this season. Despite starting off their Europa League campaign with an impressive 4-1 win over Wolfsburg, the Blues have been floundering since then, especially in the Premier League. A shock 3-2 home defeat to Crystal Palace followed that win over the Germans and while they ground out a respectable draw with Liverpool last week, their latest setback has Roberto Martinez and his men hanging on just outside of the relegation spots. Improvement must start in their next game against Aston Villa to avoid being dragged into the relegation mire.

Michael Oliver
The referee finds himself here for the sin of giving a penalty for a foul outside the box. Hang on your head in shame, Mr Oliver.


Aston Villa
In a tail spin since reaching those lofty heights of second place. The fixtures list might have been unkind to them (Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City all in a row), but having two weeks to stew on yet another defeat is not the way to go ahead of another tough game against a wounded Everton.


QPR
Bottom of the pile after another defeat. Definitely not looking good for ol' 'arry Redknapp.

Shorter waiting times for MRT trains

How long do you have to wait for a train to arrive? The short answer is: a little less.

More trains have been deployed this year and the number of train trips has been increased, stated a joint news release by SBS Transit and the Land Transport Authority (LTA).

Commuters can now expect shorter waiting times for trains, especially during off-peak periods, it stated.

So, who has the longest wait? Those using the Circle Line, though things are expected to improve when new trains are brought in next year and in 2016. 

 

North-South and East-West Lines

Average interval during peak periods
Previously: 2.5 minutes
Now: 2.3 minutes (12 seconds less)

Average interval during off-peak periods​
Now: Between 4 and 5 minutes 
(Except when trains have to be withdrawn due to maintenance activities)

Changes: About 400 weekly train trips (5 per cent) have been improved on

 

North East Line

Average interval during evening peak period
Previously: 3 minutes
Now: 2.7 minutes (18 seconds less)

Average interval during off-peak periods​
Now: Not more than 5 minutes 
(Except when trains have to be withdrawn due to maintenance activities​)

Changes: About 400 weekly train trips (14 per cent) added since January 2014​

 

Circle Line

Average interval during evening peak period
Previously: 3.5 minutes​
Now: 3.5 minutes​ (no change)

Average interval during off-peak periods​
Now: Between 5 and 6 minutes 
(Except when trains have to be withdrawn due to maintenance activities​)

Changes: Over 390 weekly trips (8.4 per cent) added since January 2014

WATCH: Two kangaroos get into a boxing match in the middle of the street

Two kangaroos were filmed fighting in the middle of a street.
Two kangaroos were filmed fighting in the middle of a street.

There is something strangely fascinating about watching two kangaroos just going at it in the middle of the street.

Just look at them throwing in the punches and kicks at each other while still managing to look fairly graceful in the video, filmed in Australia

.This Kangaroo Fight Is Better Than Most Boxing And UFC Matches

It certainly helped that the uploader chose to add classical music to the video.

Don't let their gracefulness fool you. They look like they can probably take on someone like Mike Tyson.

So, moral of the story? Never piss off a kangaroo.

Why do you think they were fighting?

Common love interest, maybe?

And who won this amazing street fight?

Watch the video above to find out. 

Source: The Concourse

Tags: animals

Rambutans or longans? Tosh Zhang answers fans' questions on Twitter

Ah Boys To Men actor Tosh Zhang had a Twitter chat session with his fans on Tuesday (Oct 7) night. Check out 13 answers to tweeted questions from his dedicated fans.

Ah Boys To Men star Tosh Zhang, 25, held an #askTosh Twitter session, giving fans the opportunity to ask the local star questions of all sorts.

The session started on Tuesday (Oct 7) at 7.15pm and ran for about two hours.

Fans got creative, asking everything from whether he prefers dogs to cats right down to the colour of his bed sheets and his biggest fear.

It was during the online chat session that Zhang also revealed that Ah Boys to Men 3: Frogmen would be the last movie the famed Ah Boys would be appearing in together.

Let's check out some of the quirky answers Zhang had for them:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

He even got quite a sensitive question, but Zhang played it safe with his smart answer

Source: Twitter

M'sia teen runs away from home after school confiscates her phone

A 16-year-old girl ran away from home five days after her mobile phone was confiscated by her school.

Yi Qian could have left home thinking that her parents had done nothing to help her get her mobile phone back, said her mother, N. Sithara Devi.

The mobile phone was confiscated by the secondary four student's school on Sept 25.

Madam Sithara, 46, said she had visited the school on Sept 28 and Sept 30 to try to retrieve the phone.

"But the principal was not around on both occasions," she said.

Disappointed with her family

The Malaysian girl, who is the youngest of four siblings, disappeared on Sept 30, leaving a letter behind for her parents.

In the letter, the teen apologised for running away and said she was disappointed with her family for not giving her a chance to improve herself.

She also told her father that she would be “going somewhere far away” and asked her parents not to disturb her best friend over her disappearance.

The girl's father Khor Ooi Seen, 48, was seen crying as the letter was read out at a press conference on Saturday.

'Hugging her sister'

Madam Sithara said she last saw the girl at about 7pm on Sept 30 at their home in Alor Setar, Kedah.

Said the mother: "She went out via the backdoor after hugging her sister and taking RM50 (S$19) from her.

"We found her clothes missing and the letter for her dad."

A police report was lodged on Thursday.

Source: The Star

'I'm a datuk... You cannot arrest me'

The “datuk” allegedly kicked at a police vehicle, cursed the police and headbutted an officer.
The “datuk” allegedly kicked at a police vehicle, cursed the police and headbutted an officer.

“You can’t arrest me, I’m a datuk!” shouted a suspect as he was being handcuffed by Malaysian police.

The arrest came after a high-speed chase from Nilai in Negeri Sembilan to Serdang in Kedah, on Monday morning.

In an apparent bid to avoid being arrested, the 33-year-old, self-proclaimed “Datuk” even said that he was a lawyer and was friends with an opposition leader, The Star reported.

The “datuk” then allegedly kicked at a police vehicle, cursed the police and headbutted an officer.

Sepang Superintendent Mohd Yusoff Awang said the police had first tried to pull over the suspect and two others in a gold Mercedes Benz on the Seremban Highway because the car had dark tinted glass.

Supt Mohd Yusoff said the police officers came out with guns drawn and directed the driver in the car to step out and lie on the ground.

Filmed the incident

As the officers were placing handcuffs on the suspect, he claimed to be a “datuk”.

He said the two other passengers in the Mercedes then got out and filmed the incident on their smartphones. They claimed the police were “provoking them”.

Even after they were taken to the police station, the “datuk” allegedly shouted vulgarities at the police officers and spat at one of them.

The three suspects were later released on police bail and are being investigated.

Source: The Star 

Thieves use jackfruit sap to steal from ATMs

File photo of jackfruit. Philippine thieves have been using jackfruit sap to steal from cash dispenser machines in banks.

Who would have thought that automated teller machines​ (ATMs), with all their high-tech security measures, could be defeated by tree sap?

Philippine thieves have been using the sticky plant fluid to steal from cash dispenser machines in banks, police said on Tuesday.

The thieves would insert a metal bar coated with jackfruit sap into the card slot of​ ATMs, said a suburban Manila police spokesman Inspector Edwin Malabanan.

Bills would stick onto the bar inside the machine whenever someone tried to make a cash withdrawal.

The thieves would retrieve the money after the disappointed customer had left.

Mr Malabanan told AFP: "The sap is really sticky. It was really clever of them to think of it."

Tampering of electronic devices

Police began to investigate the incidents after customers of several banks complained of losses.

One of two thieves was arrested last week thanks to closed-circuit television footage of a bank ATM, he said.

Police are not sure how many other thieves are using this method, said the inspector.

The authorities initially charged the suspect under a law punishing tampering of electronic devices for theft, but the case was thrown out since he had used a non-electronic tool.

The suspect will now be charged with simple theft which carries a lesser penalty of up to six years in prison instead of up to 20 years in jail under the electronic devices law.

Source: AFP

Pages