M'sian woman, 25, flees to Turkey to marry ISIS militant

A man in north-east Syria waving a flag in support of militant group Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) in August.

A Malaysian woman ran off to Turkey to marry an Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militant, whom she had met on social media just weeks earlier.

The 25-year-old woman met the man online last month.

Later that month, she told her parents she wanted to marry the man in Turkey.

She said the man, who is from Johor, had deposited RM6,000 (S$2,300) into her account for the flight to Istanbul.

The woman then left home, telling her family that her flight was on Oct 8 and that the man would meet them in Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, on Oct 2 before the flight.

Terrorism

The woman's father made a police report on Sept 30, a day after she had gone missing.

He said he had found photos and postings of weapons, militant gear and activities relating to terrorism on his daughter’s laptop.

When his daughter and the man failed to turn up on Oct 2 as promised, the father made a second police report.

Relatives of the woman, a religious activist, said her behaviour changed drastically after she joined a Kuala Lumpur-based religious non-governmental organisation​ last year.

She started wearing the niqab, kept to herself and spent most of her time on the Internet, said a relative.

A Malaysian police source said this was probably the first police report made by a family member relating to their child joining such militant groups in the Middle East.

Source: The Star

Suarez misses out on Ballon d'Or shortlist

Barcelona forward Luis Suarez was not on Fifa's 23-man shortlist for the Ballon d'Or.
Barcelona forward Luis Suarez was not on Fifa's 23-man shortlist for the Ballon d'Or.

He might have lit up the English Premier League with Liverpool to stake his claim as one of the world's best players, but it looks like Luis Suarez's biting habit has come back to haunt him again.

The nippy Uruguayan striker, now with Barcelona, was a notable omission from Fifa's 23-man shortlist for the Ballon d'Or.

Despite ending last season as Europe's joint-top scorer with Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo with 31 goals apiece, Suarez's season ended in disgrace after he bit Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini during the World Cup and was banned from football for four months.

The incident seems to have cost the controversial forward a spot to vie for football's top individual prize as Ronaldo looks set to vie with his old foe Lionel Messi to retain his last year's award.

The EPL is represented by five players, although only Chelsea's Eden Hazard and Manchester City's Yaya Toure were based in England last season.

They are joined by Hazard's Blues' team-mates Thibaut Courtois and Diego Costa along with Manchester United's ex-Real Madrid man Angel di Maria.

World Cup winners Germany have more players on the list than any other nation with six.

The 23 names will be reduced to a top three on Dec 1 before the winner is revealed in Zurich on Jan 12.

In the coach of the year category, United's Louis van Gaal, Chelsea's Jose Mourinho and Man City's Manuel Pellegrini are the EPL's representatives on a 10-man shortlist.

Ballon d'Or shortlist: Gareth Bale (Wales), Karim Benzema (France), Diego Costa (Spain), Thibaut Courtois (Belgium), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Angel Di Maria (Argentina), Mario Goetze (Germany), Eden Hazard (Belgium), Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden), Andres Iniesta (Spain), Toni Kroos (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Javier Mascherano (Argentina), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Mueller (Germany), Manuel Neuer (Germany), Neymar (Brazil), Paul Pogba (France), Sergio Ramos (Spain), Arjen Robben (Holland), James Rodriguez (Colombia), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Yaya Toure (Ivory Coast).

Coach of the year shortlist: Carlo Ancelotti (Italy/Real Madrid), Antonio Conte (Italy/Juventus/Italy national team), Pep Guardiola (Spain/FC Bayern Munich), Juergen Klinsmann (Germany/ USA national team), Joachim Loew (Germany/Germany national team), Jose Mourinho (Portugal/Chelsea), Manuel Pellegrini (Chile/Manchester City), Alejandro Sabella (Argentina/Argentina national team), Diego Simeone (Argentina/Atletico Madrid), Louis van Gaal (Holland/Holland national team/Manchester United).

Source: PA Sport

Body found six months after Sewol ferry disaster

Lee Joon Seok, captain of the sunken ferry Sewol, arriving at a court in Gwangju on Monday. South Korean prosecutors sought the death penalty for the captain.

South Korean divers uncovered another body inside the sunken Sewol ferry on Tuesday – six months after it capsized and more than 100 days after the last corpse was recovered, said officials .

The body was found inside a women’s restroom in the upturned ferry which sank on April 16 with the loss of more than 300 lives – most of them students from the same high school.

“An operation is now underway to retrieve the body from the ship,” an official involved in the recovery operation told AFP by phone from the southern island of Jindo.

The last body to be pulled from the upturned ship was on July 18.

Since then divers have continued to search the ferry on a near-daily basis as victims’ relatives refuse to approve the raising of the Sewol before all the dead are accounted for.

Tuesday’s discovery means there are now only nine victims of the disaster still missing.

Only 75 survived

Of the 476 people on board the 6,825-tonne Sewol when it capsized, 325 were high school students on an organised outing. Only 75 students survived.

Relatives of those still unaccounted for have remained in Jindo for the past six months, despite warnings that their loved ones may have been washed out to sea.

The South Korean government has vowed not to bring in the heavy lifting cranes without the agreement of the victims’ families, but the recovery teams have warned that time is running out for the divers as winter approaches.

On Monday, the relatives still in Jindo voted for the first time on whether to allow the cranes in, with the decision going 5-4 against the idea.

The Sewol ferry capsized and sank off the coast of South Korea on 16 April with more than 300 people on board - mostly school children. 

Captain of the ship, Lee Joon Seok, has been charged with homicide.  

Source: AFP, The Guardian

Dee Kosh meets Girl's Day who can't wait to perform in S'pore for the first time'

Dee Kosh flew to Korea to meet Girl's Day, a South Korean quartet who are set to take the stage in Singapore for the KStar FanFest in November.

Former jock Dee Kosh jetted to South Korea with blogger Rachel Wong to meet the four-piece girl group Girl's Day.

The local 26-year-old YouTube personality posted the interview video on his channel two days ago.

Said Hyeri: "We can't wait to see the reactions of our fans in Singapore.

"(Especially) me and Yura, we always wanted to visit Singapore and it will be our very first time so we're excited."

Girl’s Day and another boy band B1A4 will be headliners at the KStar FanFest next month for a two-day extravaganza at the Marina Bay Sands Convention Hall C.

The inaugural Kstar Fanfest is scheduled for Nov 21 and Nov 22.

Check out Dee Kosh's interview with the girls here: 

 

Source: YouTube

Singapore to get huge balloon radar next year

A moored aerostat on the ground.

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's a humongous helium-filled balloon.

Singapore will be getting its very own surveillance blimp early next year.

Called an aerostat, the 55-long blimp will operate at 600m in the air and will be tethered to the ground at one of the military camps here.

The balloon will have a surveillance radar which can spot aerial and sea threats from as far as 200km away.

Minister for Defence Dr Ng Eng Hen ​announced the aerostat at the Mindef Productivity and Innovation in Daily Efforts (Pride Day awards presentation ceremony at Nanyang Polytechnic on Tuesday morning (Oct 28).

The blimp will enhance the country's security by overcoming obstructions such as high-rise buildings, stated a Mindef press release.

Compared to other conventional means of maintaining continuous airborne radar coverage, it will save an estimated $29.2 million a year, it added.

Here's how it works:

 

Birthday gift from dad turns daughter into a millionaire

Deisi Ocampo of Chicago with her lottery-winning ticket.

All he did was wish his daughter "Happy birthday" and hand over two US$20 (S$25) lottery tickets to her.

But for Deisi Ocampo, it was truly the best gift.

The teen, who turned 19, won US$4 million from one of two lottery tickets from a US$100 Million Money Mania scratch cards from the Illinois state lottery.

"It turned out to be the best birthday present ever," said Ocampo when she was presented the cheque at a gas station on Friday, according to News10.  

On spending the money, the birthday girl said she intends to “buy a new house for my family and pursue my dream of completing my degree and becoming a nurse”.

US$100 Million Money Mania is a game that offers players the opportunity to win prizes from US$100 to $100,000, or a US$4 million top prize.

Source: Telegraph, Mail Online, News10 ABC 

 

 

 

Sex lubricant is talking point in Anwar Ibrahim appeal case

Malaysian Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim (C) waves as his wife Wan Azizah (L) acompanied him before entering the court in Putrajaya on October 28.
A supporter of Malaysian Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim (C) holds a placard outside the court of appeal in Putrajaya on October 28, 2014. A Malaysian court.
Supporters of Mohamad Saiful Bukhari Azlan hold placards and shout slogans against Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim outside the court of appeals in Putrajaya, outside Kuala Lumpur on October 28,2014.

Malaysian opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim's fate hangs in the balance as the final appeal to set aside his five-year jail sentence is before a five-member panel led by Chief Justice Arifin Zakaria, reported The Star Online. 

His 14-men defence team led by former Federal Court judge Datuk Seri Gopal Sri Ram arrived in court on the morning of Oct 28 with one purpose, to overturn a Court of Appeals verdict in March of 2014 which found him guilty of sodomising his former aide, Mohd Saiful Bukhari Azlan. 

As the day progressed, all talk surrounded how Anwar's head lawyer attempted to poke holes in the case by charging that the presence of sex lubricant KY Jelly in the evidence list raises doubts.

 

Anwar's lawyers charged that the KY jelly was submitted as an "afterthought".  Saiful had not made any mention of the lubricant  in his police report and he was said to have been in pain, reported Malaysian I​nsider

A man forced to be sodomised will hardly buy a gel.” ​- Datuk Seri Gopal Sri Ram, one of Anwar Ibrahim's lawyers
 

Testimony to his standing in Malaysian politics, a large crowd gathered  outside the Palace of Justice to show their support for the 67-year-old politician.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Some of the  supporters even expressed their anger at Anwar's accuser, Saiful

 

 

 

 

The hearing  is ongoing.

Source: Twitter, The Star Online, Malay​sian Insider.

Related Report: Malaysian crowd breaks through university gates to attend Anwar Ibrahim's talk 

GALLERY: Stunning images from Nat Geo's 2014 photo contest

There's no other photography competition like the annual Photo Contest organised by National Geographic.

It sees thousands of entries every year by amateur and professional photographers from around the world, all capturing scenes that involve people, places or nature.

The winner of the contest receives US$10,000 (S$12,700) and a trip to Washington, DC to participate in the annual National Geographic Photography Seminar in January 2015.

Here's a look at some of the stunning entries that have been submitted so far:


Photo: Eiko Jones


Photo: Melissa Fague


Photo: James Friedland


Photo: Charlene Sanchez Tarazona


Photo: Mark Seabury


Photo: Jason Thueson


Photo: Laetitia Baudin


Photo: Alexander Casassovici


Photo: John Van Den Hende


Photo: José Mingorance

And if this inspires you to take part, the closing date is on Oct 31. 

Entry details are available here

Source: National Geographic

How did he get stuck? M'sian boy, 4, gets trapped in bed

Mohd Amirul, four, had to endure 25 minutes of agony before he was freed by firemen.
Mohd Amirul, four, had to endure 25 minutes of agony before he was freed by firemen.

Firemen had to be called in after a four-year-old boy managed to get his neck trapped between the steel rails of his bed in Malacca yesterday (Oct 27). 

Mohd Amirul Syahir Amir Hamzah endured 25 minutes of agony in the 2.50pm incident at his home in Lorong Solok Tambak, Balai Panjang, reported The Star.

His mum, Rafidah Aman, 33, said Amirul,​ her youngest son, was playing with his elder brother Mohd Amirul Syafiq, six, when he managed to get himself trapped.

“I was in the toilet when I heard a loud scream before discovering that my son’s neck was trapped in between the rails," she told the newspaper.

“My attempts to free him were futile,” she said.

Rafidah said she called the emergency line while her son continued to yell in pain.

When the firemen arrived, they found it hard to retract the rails from around his neck and had to use a cutter to free him. 

Tags: boy, Stuck, bed and trapped

Pages