Ang Mo Kio murder case update: Man, 40, arrested

A woman in her 30s was found dead in the Ang Mo Kio flat today.

A woman in her 30s was found dead in a flat at Block 406 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 today.

The ninth storey of the block was cordoned off and police officers were seen outside.

The victim is believed to be Vietnamese, according to a furniture shop owner in the area.

A man in his 40s has been arrested for murder and he will be charged on Saturday (Nov 22).

Murder suspect being taken away by police. TNP PHOTO: Jeremy Long

Neighbours said they heard loud noises in the morning - a man was shouting while a woman was heard crying. 

Investigations are ongoing and foul play has not been ruled out. 

 

Here are Singapore's best restrooms. How do they compare to America's toilet champion?

Check out these award-winning restrooms in Singapore.

So who has been crowned the King of Thrones? No, we're not talking about the best-looking Game of Thrones character.

Yesterday was World Toilet Day, so the Restroom Association (Singapore) handed out awards to toilets here that flushed away the competition. (And yes, we promise this will be our last toilet-related pun).

The accolades were given to public restrooms under the Happy Toilets Program, which awards certification (ranging from three to six stars) to participating organisations.

So fret not, if certain toilets didn't make it to the shortlist because they were not on the consideration list.

Without further ado, here are the four best restrooms in Singapore. 

1. Best food court toilet: The Gallerie Food Court at Marina Square

 

 

2. Best hawker centre toilet: Mayflower Market & Food Centre

 

3. Best shopping centre toilet: Palais Renaissance 

 

4. Happy toilet of the year: Republic Plaza Level 1 The Arcade

Do you know of any awesome Singapore toilets? Tell us!

And if you need some comparison, here is the award-winning American restroom:

The champion? Longwood Gardens, Philadephia

Photo: Longwood Gardens

Source: Restroom Association (Singapore), National Public Radio

U2's Bono fitted with metal plates and screws after bike accident

Bono, frontman of Irish rock group U2, needed hours of surgery after a cycling accident in New York's Central Park.

He suffered fractures to his face and shoulder blade and needed metal plates inserted in his arm, Rolling Stone magazine said yesterday (Nov 19).

The 54-year-old singer was trying to avoid another cyclist on Sunday when the accident occurred.

The mishap forced the group to cancel its week-long appearance on NBC's The Tonight Show.

"Bono was rushed to New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Center's Emergency Department and underwent 'multiple X-rays and CAT scans' followed by hours of surgery," the magazine said.

The bone in Bono's upper arm had shattered in six places and tore through the skin. Three metal plates and 18 screws were needed to repair the injury.

On Monday, the singer had more surgery on his fractured left pinky.


Photos: Reuters

A statement posted on the group's website on Sunday said:

"Bono has injured his arm in a cycling spill in Central Park and requires some surgery to repair it.

We're sure he'll make a full recovery soon, so we'll be back!"

An orthopedic surgeon told the magazine that Bono would need intensive therapy but was expected to make a full recovery.

Sunday's cycling accident was the second harrowing experience for the rocker in less than a week.

A private plane he was travelling in last week lost its rear hatch as it was approaching Berlin airport. The pilot managed to land it safely. - Reuters

WATCH: World Cup whistleblower says she lives in fear

Phaedra Almajid said that many of the treats received were directed at her children.

She had given evidence of corruption in Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid.

 Yesterday (Nov 19), the whistleblower claimed that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has offered her protection - after  threats made against her and her children.

Phaedra Almajid, who worked for the Qatar 2022 bid team before losing her job in 2010, provided evidence to investigator Michael Garcia’s independent inquiry into corruption allegations surrounding both the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids.

The Fifa World Cup trophy displayed at the Estadio do Maracana, Rio de Janiero, Brazil, during the final on 14 July. PHOTO: ACTION IMAGES

 

Almajid gave her evidence on condition of anonymity – a condition she believes was flouted deliberately when a summary of Garcia’s report was published by global football governing body Fifa’s ethics committee judge Hans-Joachim Eckert last week.

She told Sky Sports News:

"Do I regret being the Qatar whistleblower?

It has cost me personally, it has cost me emotionally – I know for a fact I will be looking over my shoulder for the rest of my life."

Children targeted

She added: "It has cost me my credibility and most importantly it has cost me the security of both me and my children.

"However I did witness something and I believe I did have to say what I had witnessed."

Almajid said she believed the threats had more to do with Qatar than Fifa: "I had a lot of cyber attacks, a lot of them were directed to my children.

"I do believe it was through the Qataris. They knew a lot of information about me that I don’t believe Fifa knew or were interested in.

"I was a bigger threat to the Qataris than I ever was to Fifa."

Almajid and fellow whistleblower Bonita Mersiades, who worked for Australia’s unsuccessful 2022 bid, have separately lodged formal complaints against Eckert’s summary.

Source: AFP

Boy, 12, turns into real-life Magneto after surviving deadly electric shock

Nikolai Kryaglyachenko woke up one morning to find coins stuck to his body.

Having superpowers can be attractive. 

Russian schoolboy Nikolai Kryaglyachenko, 12, was returning home from school one day when he stopped and leaned against a lamp post.

He didn't realise there was a faulty wire  until it was too late.

Upon contact, the 12-year-old was dealt a massive electric shock that blasted him across the pavement, the New York Post reported.

Nikolai recalled: "When I came round, I felt groggy but managed to get home and told my mum what had happened.

"When I woke up the next day and got out of bed, I found some coins that had been lying on the mattress stuck to my body."

Nikolai's magnetic powers have drawn similarities to the Marvel character Magneto, who controls magnetic fields.

New ambition

"I can do things I couldn’t do before, but I don’t have a lot of control over it. Even when I do not want to do it, I still attract things," Nikolai said.

"Once I even attracted a glass — it just moved towards me."

The uncanny power is shaping a brand new career path for the boy: Nikolai now wants to be a superhero instead of a fireman when he grows older. 

In school, his superpowers have made him popular with classmates who ask for on-the-spot demonstration of his new-found abilities. 

Nickolai even claims that he is able to share his superpowers with others — and turn them into living magnets as well.

Sources: Metro, New York Post, Mirror Online

Man with mental illness kills 7 people, including six nurses, in China

A man with a history of mental illness stabbed and killed seven people, six of them nurses, at a sanatorium dormitory in northern China on Thursday in the latest of a string of attacks on medical workers, state media reported.
A man with a history of mental illness stabbed and killed seven people, six of them nurses, at a sanatorium dormitory in northern China on Thursday.

A man with a history of mental illness stabbed and killed seven people, six of them nurses, at a sanatorium dormitory in northern China today (Nov 20).

The case is the latest in a string of attacks on medical workers, state media reported.

A hospital administrator was among those killed. Another nurse was seriously injured in the attack, Xinhua said.

The hospital is in Beidaihe, a seaside resort close to Beijing that senior members of the ruling Communist Party favored.

The Beijing News identified the suspect as Li Xiaolong, 27.

He had confessed to having a history of mental illness and had received treatment in Beijing and the nearby city of Tangshan in 2006.

Better security at hospitals

"It is initially understood that the suspect did not have any obvious problems with the deceased," the newspaper website said.

A spate of attacks on doctors and nurses in the past two years has prompted the health ministry to provide better security at hospitals.

While the government has ramped up health spending, hospitals are frequently overwhelmed with patients.

Doctors are also badly paid, leading to corruption and suspicions that staff are more interested in making money by prescribing unnecessary drugs and treatment than they are in tending to the sick.

Despite government efforts to provide a basic safety net, many Chinese are unable to afford health care - a concern that has also prompted attacks in the past. - Reuters

Man jailed 10 years for stabbing 3 strangers

Ong stabbed three strangers and was jailed 10 years.

A man who has schizophrenia was today jailed 10 years for stabbing three strangers in Yishun and Ang Mo Kio in April.

Ong Eng Huat, 44, committed the offences on April 12 and was also ordered to receive six strokes of the cane.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of voluntarily causing hurt, one count of criminal intimidation and two drug-related offences.

One of the attacks happened at the void deck of Block 101 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 while the other at the void deck of Block 227 Yishun Street 22.

The third attack opposite Chung Cheng High School was taken into consideration during sentencing.

Bye bye, Angelina Jolie? Actress prefers to be behind the camera

Angelina Jolie said that she is considering retiring from acting in favour of directing.

Are we bidding farewell to Angelina Jolie soon?

The Hollywood actress, who has recently turned to directing, hinted that she might be retiring from acting.

She said:

"I've never been comfortable as an actor; I've never loved being in front of the camera.

"I didn't ever think I could direct, but I hope I'm able to have a career at it because I'm much happier."

But Jolie fans, don't panic just yet. You'll still get to see one of the most successful movie stars around.

She told Entertainment Weekly: "I see myself moving into directing more and doing much less as an actor.

"I have a few more in me, once I have been developing for some time, so I will do those before I step away."

She can still be see in By the Sea, which co-stars husband Brad Pitt.

The movie is the couple's first together since Mr and Mrs Smith in 2005, where they met and fell in love. 

The mother of six didn't find it easy juggling three roles - actress, director and wife - at once. 

"The tricky thing is directing myself and directing Brad. It's hard dramatic material, and we're balancing... It's a heavy film, and it's not easy for us.

"But even as you struggle through it, you're in the trenches together and you don't expect it to be easy.
"We're challenging each other and that's a really good thing."

Source: Vanity Fair

Maths teacher in M'sia freed of raping student - because he's impotent

Maths teacher in Malaysia walks away a free man after being accused of raping his student.

He was accused of raping his student twice last year.

But the Maths teacher, 39, walked away a free man.

He didn't even have to enter his defence for the alleged offence, newspaper The Star reported.

The reason: The teacher was impotent.

Sessions Court judge Datuk Anita Harun freed Mohd Faddil Abdul Rahman who was accused of raping the victim who was then in Year Six.

He allegedly raped the girl on two occasions at a house in Seremban, Malaysia, on Sept 14 and the following day.

The judge said based on testimony by a medical expert, the accused had suffered from impotency at the time of the alleged rapes.

"The court acquits the accused based on testimony by the witness (a medical expert) and which was corroborated by the wife of the accused," she said earlier today (Nov 20).

Source: The Star

I don't know: Quiz on S.League stumps Singaporeans but when it comes to EPL...

Unfortunately the people in the video did not score to well in the quiz.

The S-League has been receiving some bad press of late.

And going by a recent video that SPH Razor did, public perception towards the beleaguered league is still wanting.

The SPH crew sprang a pop quiz on ordinary Singaporeans - testing their knowledge about the S.League compared to foreign counterparts like the English Premier League. 

The results are out. Warning for those associated with our 19-year-old league: You may end up heartbroken

While those quizzed could easily answer anything related to the English Premier League, they struggled when it came to teams on home turf.

They had no problems when asked who the current English Premier League champions (Manchester City) or the current World Cup champions (Germany) are.

But when asked about the current S.League champions, here's the outcome... 


 

For the record, the current 2014 S.League champ is Warriors FC.


 

They won the title on the league's thrilling last day when Brunei DPMM lost to Tampines Rovers on Oct 31. 

Related stories: S.League: Drama as Warriors take home record ninth title 

Pages