1st dengue death of the year

Dengue has claimed its first victim for the year in Singapore.

The woman, a 53-year-old Chinese national, died on Monday.

She had been admitted to the National University Hospital only on that day,  and her condition deteriorated quickly.

The woman lived in West Coast Road, where there was an active dengue cluster with seven reported cases.

The National Environment Agency (NEA)has detected six spots of mosquito breeding since then.

The death came despite a dip in weekly dengue cases over the past three weeks.

According to the Ministry of Health website, the number of cases in the first week of February was 212. That was 49 cases fewer than the week before.

The number continued to fall to 172 in the second week,  and then to 100 in the week ending Feb 21 but the NEA said the recent figure may not represent the true situation because of the long Chinese New Year holiday break.

More than 1,400  dengue cases were reported in the first seven weeks of 2015.

A joint statement by MOH and NEA on the death said: "we need to remain vigilant and continue to keep dengue cases in check as a large proportion of our population is still susceptible to dengue infection due to the lack of immunity."

Last year, five people, aged between 59 and 85, died of the disease.

 

 

KFC staff praised for going out of her way for blind customer

Facebook user Dora Ong posted photos showing KFC staff Muza after she put in extra effort to serve a partially-blind customer - even going so far as to buy him a full meal.
Facebook user Dora Ong posted photos showing KFC staff Muza after she put in extra effort to serve a partially-blind customer - even going so far as to buy him a full meal.

A small act of kindness can sometimes go a long, long way.

It certainly did for one KFC employee here in Singapore.

Last Friday, Ms Muza, who works at the fast food chain's Bukit Merah outlet, showed extra attention to one elderly customer who is partially blind.

The man, who was previously seen selling tissue paper, ordered just one piece of chicken.

Not only did Ms Muza help him to his seat while personally taking and serving his order, she also paid to have his meal upgraded to a full set - including a drink and fries.

It was all seen by Ms Dora Ong, who shared her story about Ms Muza's act of kindness in a Facebook post along with several photographs.

 

 

 

Ms Ong was so touched by Ms Muza's gesture that she gave her a $10 ang pow to show her appreciation.

The story also reached KFC, who shared Ms Ong's post on their Facebook page while commending Ms Muza for her actions.

 

 
Post by KFC.

 

Ms Ong's original post has since been shared more than 2,000 times.

We've reached out to Ms Ong and KFC and will update this story once we hear from them.

But in the mean time, thanks for restoring our faith in humanity Ms Muza, Ms Ong and KFC.

Take a bow!

Source: Facebook

Arsenal say no to Beckham's son Brooklyn

Reports from England say Brooklyn Beckham, son of former Manchester United midfielder David, will not be offered a new deal at Arsenal.
Reports from England say Brooklyn Beckham, son of former Manchester United midfielder David, will not be offered a new deal at Arsenal.

David Beckham’s son Brooklyn has failed to land a scholarship deal with Arsenal and will be released by the club.

The 15-year-old had been hoping to earn a a two-year deal to stay with the north London club, with whom his father trained with back in 2008.

Brooklyn had been promoted to the Under-18 team but was left out of the squad taking part in a tournament in Qatar.

Right midfielder Brooklyn is thought to be behind other young players at Arsenal in his development.

But his younger brothers Romeo and Cruz will both remain at the Hale End Academy into next term.

It is unclear whether Brooklyn will look to find a new club following his release, which is expected to officially come at the end of the current campaign, reports the Daily Mail.

Brooklyn could possibly focus on his modelling career following his release, after making appearances at the New York Fashion Week recently, as well as featuring in high-end fashion shoots. 

Source: Mail Online

Enrique plays down Barca duo's visit to casino

Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique in training.
Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique in training.

Was it a gamble for Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique to be hitting a casino just hours before Barcelona’s crucial Champions League clash with Manchester City on Wednesday morning (Singapore time)?

The Barca pair, along with Chelsea’s Cesc Fabregas, were snapped leaving  Casino de Barcelona in the early hours of the morning, shortly before the Spanish side were due to fly to Manchester.

This caused a bit of a stir, especially since it happened so soon after Barcelona’s shock 1-0 La Liga defeat by Malaga on Sunday morning.

However, Barcelona coach Luis Enrique refuted suggestions that his players had behaved inappropriately.

He said: “No gossip. Not interested. Only football.

“At this club, you sometimes need something extra to decorate the tree of life.”

When Pique was asked by a Spanish journalist if he had any comment about the incident, he said: “No. It is my private life. I just had a nice night.”

Source: Mail Online

Gunners fans reminisce in 'Invincibles' documentary

Arsenal's legendary Invincibles celebrate winning the EPL title in 2004.
Arsenal's legendary Invincibles celebrate winning the EPL title in 2004.

Some Arsenal fans in England took a walk down memory lane at a screening of a documentary depicting their famous unbeaten 2003/04 campaign.

They were joined by several members of that historic "Invincibles" side, like Robert Pires, Jens Lehmann, Martin Keown, Ray Parlour, Lauren and Sol Campbell. 

That season, Arsene Wenger's men became only the second English team in history to finish a top-flight season unbeaten and the first to do so in a 38-game campaign. 

Preston were the first side to finish a top-tier campaign without losing, but that was in 1888 in a 22-match division. 

Remarkably, in that 2003/04 season, Thierry Henry scored 30 goals in 37 games as the Gunners notched 26 wins and 12 draws, and having the best attack (scored 73 goals) and best defence (conceded 26). 

In the documentary, Gunners' favourites like Lehmann, Keown and Campbell shared their experience of finishing 11 points clear of second-placed Chelsea, then in the first season of the Roman Abramovich revolution and already splashing the cash.

Sources: Mail Online, Sky Sports

Budget 2015: How to spend your $500 SkillsFuture Credit? Learn Mandarin, make-up or...

Under the new SkillsFuture scheme announced in Monday's (Feb 23) Budget, all Singaporeans aged 25 and above will get a credit of $500 from 2016 to spend on courses supported by government agencies.

There'll be further top-ups at regular intervals.

The big question then is: How should you spend it?

Should you apply for a course in line with your diploma or degree?

Or should you branch out and try something new, like learn a new language, pick up DJ techniques or even learn how to develop a footwear design collection?

(Yes, there are such courses available.)

We got an expert to share her opinion on how to get maximum mileage from what's given.


Learning need not be boring. 

Here are some fun options:

1) Assemble fresh flower bouquets

Participants will learn how to assemble flowers into bouquets in basic design forms such as flat-wrap flowers, circular and spiral bouquets and hand-held sheaves.

Like flowers? Then try your hand at one of these courses. File Photo: Reuters

2) Develop Footwear Design Collection

Participants will learn how to interpret current fashion trends and will be able to conceptualise a footwear collection.

3) Advanced Make-up Dynamics

Participants will learn advanced make-up techniques, hair styling techniques, make-up usage and the handling of make-up products.

Voila! Pick up tips and tricks of the trade. File Photo: Reuters

4) Business Mandarin Comprehensive Beginner

Participants will learn workplace-related content.

Falling crane misses Potong Pasir home by mere inches

The boom of a construction crane fell yesterday afternoon, narrowly missing a home in Potong Pasir.
Workmen looking to remove the crane boom, which had fallen inches away from a home in Potong Pasir.

The boom of a construction crane fell along  Tai Thong Crescent, in Potong Pasir, missing a home by inches.

The accident happened at about 4.50pm today.

The crane was involved in the construction of a new condominium development, Sant Ritz.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force was alerted to the incident at 5pm and said there were no injuries.

 

Is this football or wrestling? 2 body slams you may have missed over the weekend

Worcester City player Shab Khan (No. 3) reacts to a challenge by Stockport County's Charlie Russell - by body slamming him.
Worcester City player Shab Khan (No. 3) reacts to a challenge by Stockport County's Charlie Russell - by body slamming him.

Much of the post-weekend football chatter was about Nemanja Matic's red card for his furious reaction to a tackle by Burnley's Ashley Barnes.

To be fair to the Serb, it was an awful and potentially career threatening challenge. Shame on you Martin Atkinson for not handing a similar punishment to Barnes.

While many witnessed Matic's angry clothesline/shove, there were two other incidents that occurred over the weekend that would have WWE stars nodding in approval.

After Raheem Sterling sealed Liverpool's 2-0 win over Southampton at St Mary's on Sunday, one Reds fan tried to join in the celebrations on the pitch.

That didn't sit kindly with a nearby steward, who promptly took the over-enthusiastic man down.

 

 

Anyone having bright ideas about invading a pitch had better start thinking otherwise.

The second incident took place outside of the cushy confines of the English league football in the Conference North when Worcester City faced Stockport County.

Like Matic, Worcester fullback Shab Khan was on the receiving end of a bad challenge by Stockport's Charlie Russell.

Erupting with righteous indignation, the Pakistan international leapt to his feet and body slammed his opponent without giving a second thought.

 

 

Khan was sent off while Russell escaped with a yellow card, but the incident occurred so late in the game that it didn't affect the outcome as Worcester won 2-0.

Speaking to BBC Hereford and Worcester, Worcester manager Carl Heely later defended Khan saying: "We've got to remember that incident wouldn't happen if the Stockport player didn't commit an awful challenge. There were a number of poorly-timed tackles that we were the victims of.

"Football's an emotional game. Shab is a lovely, mild-mannered lad. He will just feel he's let his team-mates down.

"He's just got a run of games in the side. There had been extreme provocation and we can certainly understand it."

Perhaps the "apologetic" Khan can now find an understanding soul in Matic for drinks while they're both suspended...

Sources: BBC, The Guardian, YouTube, Vine

Acid-throwing wife flees after attack on plumber-husband

There's no happily ever-after for this couple.

A 47-year-old plumber lies in Penang Hospital’s intensive care unit.

His Thai wife, who allegedly threw acid on him last week, is on the run.

The attack reportedly took place when the plumber was sleeping in his house at around 6.30am last Tuesday. But the reason for the attack was not given.

Penang Hospital Visitors Board chairman Lim Thoon Deong said the man suffered about 30 per cent burns on his face, arms and upper body.

Lim said yesterday: 

“He faces the possibility of going blind.

"His condition is reported to be stable but he’s not out of danger."

George Town OCPD Asst Comm Mior Faridalathrash Wahid said police were still searching for the wife to aid investigations.

The 29 year old wife fled in his car.

Source: The Star

Tags: acid, wife, malaysia and penang

3 of the funniest Twitter reactions to the Choa Chu Kang LRT breakdown

File photo of an LRT train on the Bukit Panjang line.
File photo of an LRT train on the Bukit Panjang line.

Singaporeans in the northern part of the island were left facing a second rail disruption in as many days after the Bukit Panjang LRT broke down this afternoon (Feb 24).

While many expectedly took to Twitter to voice their frustrations, three tweets stood out in the wilderness for looking at the lighter side of things.

One guy succinctly summed things up for SMRT.

Local funnyman Mr Brown had to rub his eyes a little when he saw SMRT's Facebook post announcing the disruption to make sure he wasn't reading a troll post from satire group SMRT Ltd (Feedback).

Last but not least, one woman, amid all the chaos, decided to give SMRT a sobering crash course about how to use social media.

On Monday afternoon, a breakdown on the North-South SMRT line caused a disruption between Yew Tee and Kranji stations for four hours.

Source: Twitter

Related reports:
Train services on North South Line disrupted, passengers transferred to another train
Stalled train causes human jam

Pages