WARNING SIGNS OF BULIMIA
Want a body like hers?
'TWO SIDES OF SAME COIN'
S'pore woman bodybuilder was once obese, then bulimic
She went all the way to the US to take on the locals and beat all but one of them.
Melissa Sarah Wee , 30, won second prize in the women's physique category at the Central California Classic bodybuilding championship two weeks ago.
Looking at the freelance personal trainer's impressive physique, it's hard to believe that she was once chubby, then underweight, then obese again.
She was bullied for her weight in secondary school and then suffering from bulimia nervosa, an eating disorder.
After recovering from bulimia, she put on weight again. Her turning point finally came when she asked her mum to get her a gym membership.
Read the full report in our print edition on Sept 27.
Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.
Fifa to ban third-party ownerships
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has confirmed that the world's football governing body is set to outlaw third-party ownership (TPO) of footballers.
While no details were released about when the new rule will come into effect, Blatter revealed that the ban will only come into place after a grace period.
Speaking after a Fifa executive committee meeting, the Swiss said: "We took a firm decision that TPO should be banned but it cannot be banned immediately. There will be a transitional period."
Secretary general Jerome Valcke said the length of the transitional period will be discussed by Fifa's working group, with a proposal to be submitted before the next executive committee meeting in December.
"The ban cannot be implemented immediately and we are discussing the number of transfer windows we have to wait for this ban (to come into affect)," said Valcke.
"It's a matter of whether we are talking about six transfer windows, meaning three years, or eight, meaning four years, this is what we will be discussing in this working group."
Third party ownership is a common phenomenon in South America and exists in some European leagues like Portugal, although it is banned in countries like England and France.
Sporting Lisbon president Bruno de Carvlaho, who experienced problems with third-party ownership when his club sold Argentine defender Marcos Rojo to Manchester United in the summer, blasted firms involved in the practice, describing them as a "menace" and a "monster" that undermines club finances and the game's integrity.
Blatter had said in 2007 that Fifa was looking into banning the practice but nothing was done about it.
Police nab 113 people during island-wide anti loan-sharking operation
Police arrested 113 people during a four-day anti loan-sharking operation this week.
The suspects were aged between 15 and 72. Eighty of them were men and 33 of them were women, stated a police press release.
From Tuesday to Friday, officers from the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) and six police divisions conducted simultaneous raids at multiple locations across the island.
Nine of those arrested are believed to have acted as runners for loan sharks by carrying out Automated Teller Machine (ATM) transfers, verifying debtors’ particulars and checking debtors’ units to confirm that harassment acts had been carried out.
Gave false contact information
Another nine are believed to have been harassers who splashed paint and scrawled loan shark-related graffiti on walls.
One is believed to be a debtor who gave false contact information to loan sharks.
The suspect will also be investigated for failing to report the change of address.
The remaining 94 suspects are believed to have opened bank accounts and given their ATM cards and Personal Identification Number (PIN) away to loan sharks for illegal moneylending activities.
Investigations against all suspects are ongoing.
Man, 26, arrested for suspected snatch theft at Choa Chu Kang Drive
Police have arrested a 26-year-old man for a case of snatch theft reported at Choa Chu Kang Drive.
On Sept 16, at about 9.50 pm, woman was walking along Choa Chu Kang Drive when an unknown male suspect came from behind and snatched her mobile phone, the police said in a statement.
After receiving the report, officers from the Jurong Police Division managed to track down and arrest the suspect on Thursday (Sept 25) at about 3pm in the vicinity of Dover Road.
He will be charged in court on Saturday (Sept 27).
Jose: I'm 'nobody' if Spain want to pick Costa
Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has bemoaned his inability to stop Spain from picking Diego Costa.
With seven goals from five English Premier League appearances, the Brazil-born player looks set to be the key to the Blues' quest for silverware this season after answering the club's long-standing striker problem.
But his fitness has prevented Mourinho from playing the striker twice in one week.
Costa's fitness could be tested with Spain set to play back-to-back Euro 2016 qualifiers with Slovakia on Oct 9 and Luxembourg just three days later, leading to Mourinho's latest lament.
When asked if he would prefer if Costa did not play for his country, the Portuguese tactician said: "Everyone knows Diego has been in trouble for quite a long time, but I'm nobody to make that decision.
"Everybody knows what is going on with Diego but I am nobody. The moment a national team wants to select a Chelsea player, I am nobody.
"It is their decision – they can do what they want. They can call up the player, it is completely out of my control, and what I think and feel doesn’t play a part.
"We can send reports, but at the end of the day it is their call. It is their decision, so when they make the pre-selection everything is in their hands. I can do nothing."
Related stories: Costa's dodgy hamstrings concern Jose
S’porean man arrested for allegedly molesting woman
The police have arrested a 26-year-old man for his suspected involvement in a case of outrage of modesty that occurred at Commonwealth Crescent.
On Thursday (Sept 25), a 26-year-old woman lodged a police report informing that she had been molested at vicinity of Commonwealth Crescent.
She provided the police with the description and attire worn by suspect, the police said in a statement.
Officers from Clementi Police Division conducted extensive ground enquiries and reviewed police cameras mounted in the vicinity.
The suspect was arrested within 10 hours.
He will be charged in court on Saturday.
If convicted, he could be jailed for up to two years, or fined, and may also be caned.