Van Gaal: I would've gone to Spurs if I wanted an easy job

Louis van Gaal has no regrets taking on the job as Manchester United manager.
Louis van Gaal has no regrets taking on the job as Manchester United manager.

The Manchester United manager insists he has no regrets taking on the challenge of managing Manchester United instead of joining Tottenham Hotspur.

Louis van Gaal, 63, was a target for the north London outfit to replace Tim Sherwood at the end of last season but he was lured to United to succeed David Moyes instead.

While he enjoyed a bright start to his Red Devils career with a strong showing in pre-season, van Gaal is still searching for his first competitive win.

The former Holland coach remains unfazed by United's struggles and told the Daily Mirror that he would have joined Spurs if he wanted an easier job.

Massive job

He said: "No, I don't regret taking this job. Yes, it is a massive job I have taken on at Manchester United. I realise that.

"I could have opted for an easier job. If I had gone to Tottenham, the job would not have been as enormous as here at United."

Support

While van Gaal had a similar tough start to his career at Bayern Munich in 2009, he is enjoying the backing he is receiving at United.

He said: "My start at Bayern was just as bad as my start with Manchester United.

"But the big difference was that at Bayern I had already been called in for a major showdown with former president Uli Hoeness, who wanted an explanation.

"And what have United done? They have just bought more players for me...They are supporting me. That is a sign of trust in the manager. I feel that. I feel their trust and belief in my ability.

"Do I get worried when I look at the league table now? Come off it, that means nothing. We have only just started."

Source: PA Sport, Daily Mirror

MH17 victims' families grieve over loss as bodies return

he remains of television and theatre actress Shuba Jaya, husband Paul Goes and their infant daughter Kaela Maya were returned to their family on Tuesday.
he remains of television and theatre actress Shuba Jaya, husband Paul Goes and their infant daughter Kaela Maya were returned to their family on Tuesday.

The remains of television and theatre actress Shuba Jaya, husband Paul Goes and their infant daughter Kaela Maya were returned to their family yesterday.

Family members at the Nirvana Memorial Centre in Sungai Besi struggled to hold back tears before the ceremony started.

Despite pleading for privacy, photographers still descended on the funeral parlour, causing chaos to break out during the funeral.

Meanwhile, state leaders and representatives from the Penang MCA joined 20 family members of another couple - Jenny Loh Yan Hwa and husband Fan Shun Po - as they waited for the remains at Penang International Airport.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak sent out a message on Twitter urging families to remain strong.

 

 

To date, the remains of 31 Malaysians and two Dutch nationals haven been brought back to Malaysia. 

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 was shot down on July 17 over eastern Ukraine, killing all 298 people on board.

Sources: The Star, Bernama

WATCH: How people power in India saves two students trapped under a bus

Strangers came to the rescue of two students who were trapped under the bus after it rammed onto the motorcycle the students were on.
Strangers came to the rescue of two students who were trapped under the bus after it rammed onto the motorcycle the students were on.

Strangers came to the rescue of two college students who were trapped under a bus last week in Pune India.

Ashwin Doshi and Siddharthu Dudu were riding a motorcycle on Aug 29 when a bus collided with them. The impact of the crash resulted in the boys being pinned under the bus.

Thankfully, 50 bystanders immediately rushed to the bus to help.

The combined teamwork and strength as the strangers lifted the bus - with their bare hands - off the two students. The pair was soon pulled to safety and rushed to the hospital.

 

 

One of them was admitted to the intensive care unit. His condition has since improved. 

It's certainly nice to see people power taking place all over the world.

Just last month, when a man slipped and was stuck in the gap between a train and the platform, 50 people immediately stepped up to successfully tilt a train so that the man could be freed.

Source: Pune Mirror, YouTube

Tags: people, power, bus and students

'Bit chubby' Rooney to end England's 48-year wait for trophy?

England captain Wayne Rooney (L) listens to manager Roy Hodgson during a news conference at their team hotel in Watford, north of London. England will play Norway in a friendly soccer match in London on Wednesday.

Norway and England face off in a friendly later tonight.

But Norwegian defender Vegard Forren's TV interview about his opponents fell a little short on goodwill.

He has branded England striker Wayne Rooney "a bit chubby" ahead of the game.

Rooney, 28, was unveiled as the new England captain last week despite an underwhelming performance at this summer's World Cup.

The striker scored only one goal during the Three Lions' campaign. With 95 caps to his name, Rooney has at least twice as much experience as any other member of Roy Hodgson’s current squad.

Will the trophy come?

Despite England’s dismal group-stage exit at the World Cup, Steven Gerrard's successor still believes he can inspire the team to glory, the Herald Sun reported.

“I’ve always wanted to win a trophy with England, and if I can lead us to do that, that’ll be the pinnacle of my career,” Rooney told journalists at an eve-of-match briefing on Tuesday.

England last lifted a trophy in 1966, when they won the World Cup.

Norway are placed 53rd in the FIFA world rankings, 33 spots below England, but Forren insists he will not be afraid of his opponents at Wembley.

Sources: Mail Online, Herald Sun

Tags: rooney, chubby and trophy

Divorce selfie might just be the best selfie ever

Keith Hinson and Michelle Knight posted a divorce selfie after receiving their divorce documents.
Keith Hinson and Michelle Knight posted a divorce selfie after receiving their divorce documents.

Think you've seen all the selfies out there?

Think again. The most recent edition to go viral was taken by two lovely people who just got divorced. Yeah, you heard right.

Orlando couple Keith Hinson and Michelle Knight got their divorce finalised last Thursday after a three-year marriage.

But they're still on friendly terms. See the proof below.


Photo: Keith Hinson/Instagram

Keith, 36, said the reason they snapped it was to show their friends and family that they were okay.

Their loved ones won't need to pick sides.

"Michelle and I have a good sense of humor about this," Keith told the Huffington Post.

"And we also wanted to let people know that this didn't have to be a negative experience... We've been separated a year, and throughout that time, we've both been committed to preserving our friendship."

Michelle, 35, knows families and friends find the arrangement is unconventional but are happy with how it worked out.

"They first balked at our dog custody arrangement, which requires us to see each other each weekend with the dog! But ultimately, I think they are proud of how we are handling things. It makes it easier on our friends for us to be friendly."


Photo: Keith Hinson/Facebook

Although the marriage was just three years, they don't regret any bit of it.

"To share that kind of bond with another is one of the most divine gifts given to us," Keith said. "I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to love and be loved in return. I truly smile because I lived in that beautiful sunlight of love for a bit."

Now if only all divorces were this beautiful!


Gif: Weknowmemes

Sources: Huffington Post, Instagram, Facebook

Tags: divorce, selfie and marriage

Super Junior, Kpop fans mourn after Ladies' Code singer EunB dies in car crash

Ladies' code's EunB died after the van she was in slipped on a rainy road.
Ladies' code's EunB died after the van she was in slipped on a rainy road.

Member EunB, 21, from Korean pop girl group Ladies Code died in a car crash this morning.

The popular act was involved in a fatal accident on their way back to Seoul.

The van that the group was in slipped while driving down a rainy road at about 1.30am.

The wheel came off after the van slipped, causing the vehicle to spin several times before hitting a guard rail and hitting a protective wall.

Ladies' Code's agency Polaris Entertainment said: "Due to this, EunB unfortunately passed away."

The statement also said: "The other members, Rise is in critical condition while So Jung is injured and hospitalised and currently receiving treatment."

The group's two other members were not seriously injured.

The agency also said: "Our staff (are) also unable to recover from the shock and are in great sorrow right now," continued the statement. "We want to apologise to all the fans and everyone who have received much shock, and we ask for everyone to pray for the quick recovery of the members." 

Ladies' Code released their debut album in March 2013. Their single Kiss Kiss came out last month.

 

 

Fans mourned the stars' death on Twitter:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Stars also took to Twitter to express their condolences and a speedy recovery for the injured members.

Super Junior's Kyuhyun, who was involved in a serious car accident in 2007, expressed sympathy as he tweeted: "Someone else's business is different.. (Implying that she didn't make it like he did.)  If you see this, let's pray together a lot. Also let's pray to hear good news for the members undergoing treatment." 

miss A's Suzy: "I respectfully send my condolences. My heart hurts so much.. I hope the other people may recover one day sooner.. I will pray."

2AM's Changmin: "I read the news and my heart is at a loss.. I respectfully send my condolences... Please pray for them... The injured members and the families and friends in sorrow.."

2PM's Jun.K: "My heart hurts so much from the news about Ladies' Code. I respectfully send my condolences.. My heart is at a loss. Let's all pray together and keep praying..."

 

Sources: Allkpop, Daily Korean pop news

Beat the addiction! Women in university spend 10 hours a day on their phones

A study revealed that students in university spent 10 hours on their phones.
A study revealed that students in university spent 10 hours on their phones.

Are you always wondering where all that time has gone to?

Well, the answer may be right in front of you... literally.

A new study from Baylor University revealed women studying in US colleges spend ten hours a day on their mobile phones.

Men aren't trailing far behind as they spend eight hours on their phones every day.

And 60 per cent of the 164 students polled also said they were addicted to their phones. These are the same students who are more inclined toward social media like Facebook.

Lead researcher James Roberts said: "As cellphone functions increase, addictions to this seemingly indispensable piece of technology become an increasingly realistic possibility."

The study lists some of the top mobile phone activities below. For all you mobile phone addicts, we've provided some alternatives you can consider to beat the addiction.

1. Texting (1 hour and 35 minutes)

Alternative: There's no need to update your significant other or friends of your every moment!

Save all the stories for the next time you see them, so you don't have to end up talking about the weather. 

community animated GIF

2. Sending emails (48.5 minutes)

Alternative: Keep all your work emails in the office!

Animation Domination High-Def animated GIF

3. Checking Facebook (38.6 minutes)

Alternative: Ask your friends about their exciting weekend instead of piecing a story from Facebook photos.

popular animated GIF

 

4. Surfing the Internet (34.4 minutes)

Alternative: If you're surfing the Internet to pass time on public transport, try a book instead.

You won't be as frustrated with the terrible reception in the trains.

I'm an artist animated GIF

5. Listening to music on the phone (26.9 minutes)

Alternative: How else are you able to enjoy buskers at the MRT stations?

 

Source: New York Magazine

All a-flap as police chief kills boy's pet chicken

Ashley Turnbull made a formal complaint against a Police Chief decapitated her 5-year-old son's pet chicken.
Ashley Turnbull made a formal complaint against her local police chief decapitated her 5-year-old son's pet chicken.

A mother is upset with the cops.

Ms Ashley Turnbull is so angry, she has made a formal complaint against the police chief of a Minnesota department - for trespassing on her property and killing her 5-year-old son's pet chicken.

The fowl play took place on August 16.

Police chief Trevor Berger told the West Central Tribune that city laws forbade keeping fowl. He was simply enforcing the order after repeated complaints from a neighbour.

Turnbull says she was warned on Aug 7 to remove the three chicken and two ducks. But she insisted that beating her son's small red hen to death with a shovel and then decapitating it was not right.

Like a puppy

She said the pet had been her son Phoenix's birthday gift.

“The chicken was like a puppy dog to my son,” she added. “You wouldn’t do that to a puppy.”

Berger said when he reached the home, he chased the chicken for about 15 minutes before grabbing a shovel. He did not want to use his gun as children were nearby.

He exited the yard with the carcass but forgot to take away the severed head left behind.

“I guess I don’t regret it, because it’s like taking care of any rodent in town,” Berger said.

“I still feel he owes my son an apology and he owes us a chicken," Turnbull said.

Sources: Huffington Post, West Central Tribune

Tags: chicken, police, severed and fowl

Chris Brown pleads guilty to punching fan for photo-bombing

Chris Brown pleaded guilty on Tuesday to misdemeanor assault and told a court he was sorry for breaking the nose of a fan.
Chris Brown pleaded guilty on Tuesday to misdemeanor assault and told a court he was sorry for breaking the nose of a fan.

Grammy-winning singer Chris Brown pleaded guilty to assault on Tuesday.

His misdeed this time: Breaking the nose of a fan, after the man tried to thrust himself, uninvited, into a picture with the R&B star last year.

The R&B artiste was sentenced to time served in jail, which works out to two days. He was also ordered to pay US$150 (S$188) in court costs. Brown, 25, had rejected a similar plea deal in June.

"I would like to say to the court I am sorry," Brown said.

He had faced six months in jail and a US$1,000 (S$1250) fine. But Judge Franklin Burgess Jr. said he would accept a plea bargain that called for a more lenient sentence.

"I feel he has suffered consequences for what he has done here," Burgess said.


Photo: AFP

As part of the plea agreement, Brown admitted to punching Parker Adams, 20, when he tried to put himself into a photo with two women outside Washington's W Hotel in October 2013.

Brown's bodyguard Christopher Hollosy, 36, was convicted in April on an assault charge for the same incident.

Adams has filed a US$1.5 million(S$1.88 million) lawsuit against Brown and Hollosy.

Last year's scuffle occurred while Brown was on probation for a 2009 felony assault against his then-girlfriend, pop singer Rihanna.

As a result of that assault conviction in Los Angeles, Brown will remain on probation until early 2015. Jailed for nearly three months, he must serve 500 hours of community service.

Brown made his mark in the music world as a teenager. Despite several brushes with the law, he has been able to bounce back professionally.

U.S. Attorney Ronald Machen Jr. said in a statement: "No matter your status or celebrity, you will be held accountable for such conduct in our city." - Reuters

Dethroned Myanmar beauty queen denies getting breast implants, wants apology

Dethroned beauty queen May Myat Noe holding a press conference at a restaurant in Yangon on Tuesday. She denied any wrongdoing and said she would not return the crown until she received an apology from the organisers.

A Myanmar beauty queen dethroned for alleged misconduct said on Tuesday she would only return her pricey crown if South Korean pageant organisers apologised.

She also denied accepting free breast implants worth US$10,000 (S$12,500).

May Myat Noe, 16, was training to become a K-pop star in South Korea after winning the Seoul-based Miss Asia Pacific World beauty pageant in May.

But last week, event organisers stripped her of the title for alleged dishonesty. They accused her of absconding with the US$100,000​ crown and breast implants, which they say they funded to enhance her budding singing career.

On Tuesday, the beauty queen hit back and demanded an apology from the organisers.

She said at a press conference in Yangon: "It is natural for me to feel that an apology should be demanded to rectify the damage they have done to the integrity of my country."

"I will return the crown only when they apologise to Myanmar, for the dignity of our country."

The teen also denied accepting free breast implants.

"I was put under duress to undergo head-to-toe cosmetic surgery which I refused... I didn’t have breast implants, but I don’t want to go into details, to preserve my dignity," she said.

Event organisers have accused her of being hard to manage, saying her behaviour had left them "very angry".

"She lied a lot to us about many things. Our past queens also complained – because of her, their reputations will suffer," event spokesman David Kim told AFP from Seoul.

Read our earlier report here.

Source: AFP

Pages