Woman stole wine so she could see boyfriend in jail but...

Alicia Walicke stole a bottle of cheap wine so she could get arrested and see her boyfriend, who was in jail.
Alicia Walicke stole a bottle of cheap wine so she could get arrested and see her boyfriend, who was in jail.

Most people would probably do anything for love.

But purposely trying to land yourself in jail? That's new.

A woman from Texas stole a bottle of $3.99 wine (below) just to get arrested so that she could see her incarcerated boyfriend in jailed.

Unfortunately (or fortunately for her), she was charged with misdemeanour theft and freed on $5,000 bond on Friday.

Police said that Walicke had stolen a bottle of wine from a gas station on Wednesday. They had found her outside of the gas station, drinking the wine.

She then told the cops to arrest her because she wanted to see her boyfriend, who was arrested just hours earlier.

The warrant stated that Walicke said that it was her fault that her boyfriend was arrested and "she wanted to make things right".

Hmm, points for trying?

Source: New York Daily News

 

Infected Ebola patients flee after attack on quarantine centre

A man gestures as he walks by the school that was used as an isolation ward for Ebola patients on August 17, 2014 in Monrovia.

Seventeen Ebola patients in Liberia who fled from a quarantine centre after it was attacked by club-wielding youths were missing on Sunday (Aug 17), striking a fresh blow to efforts to contain the deadly virus.

The attack on the centre in Liberia's capital Monrovia late on Saturday (Aug 16) highlighted the challenge faced by health authorities battling the epidemic that has killed 1,145 people since it erupted in west Africa early this year.

Doctors and nurses are not only fighting the disease, but a deep mistrust in communities often in the thrall of wild rumours that the virus was invented by the West or is a hoax.


Health workers wearing protective clothing prepare to carry an abandoned dead body presenting with Ebola symptoms at Duwala market in Monrovia. Photo: Reuters

“They broke down the door and looted the place. The patients have all gone,” said Rebecca Wesseh, who witnessed the raid in the Liberian capital’s densely populated West Point slum.

Attackers yelled: 'There's no Ebola'

The attackers, mostly young men armed with clubs, shouted insults about President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and yelled “there’s no Ebola,” she said, adding that nurses had also fled the centre.

A health ministry official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the youths took away medicines, mattresses and bedding from the high school which had been turned into an isolation centre to deal with the rapidly spreading virus.

The head of the Health Workers Association of Liberia, George Williams, said the unit housed 29 patients who “had all tested positive for Ebola” and were receiving preliminary treatment before being taken to hospital.

Ebola is spread by contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids, such as sweat and blood, and no cure or vaccine is currently available. 

Victims in their final days are wracked by agonising muscular pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and catastrophic haemorrhaging described as “bleeding out,” as vital organs break down. 

Source: AFP. 

Tags: Ebola and Liberia

Warning graphic video: 'Joking' student guns down coach at shooting range

Screenshot of the student running away from the scene after shooting his teacher in the head.

A horrific CCTV video of a teenager shooting his teacher in the head has emerged online. 

The incident which happened in Russia on June 13, 16-year-old Jamshedji H can be seen holding a gun at what looks like a gun range.

In the video, he raised the gun and points it at a man identified as his teacher Andrei Kiselev, who then slumped forwards onto his desk and then onto the floor. 

The Mirror reported that Kiselev was shot in the head and that he was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Immediately after the incident, the teen can be seen covering his mouth with his left hand before fleeing the scene.

He was later caught by the authorities and confessed that he was "joking" and that he thought that the gun was not loaded at the time.

Source: Mirror, YouTube.

Tags: Russia and shooting

Dwarf's hidden camera captures verbal abuse hurled at him

Jonathan Novick, 22, attached a hidden camera to his shirt to capture the daily abuse he faces in New York City.
Jonathan Novick, 22, attached a hidden camera to his shirt to capture the daily abuse he faces in New York City.

As a dwarf living in New York City, Jonathan Novick has unfortunately become accustomed to being photographed and mocked by strangers.

But the 22-year-old, who has a type of dwarfism called acondroplasia, finally thought enough is enough and decided to do something about it.

He said: "I wanted to stop telling people what happened to me and I wanted to start showing people what happened to me.

"I wanted to show everyone what a day in my life was like."

So he took a camera, disguised as a button on his shirt, and went about his day in the city. 

People were slyly taking photographs of him, thinking he wouldn't notice while others brazenly hurl abuse like "Hey short stuff"  at him. 

One man bizarrely told him as he walked past: "Little midget! Big man, big penis."

Some people even approached him thinking he was Zach Roloff, who is a cast member of reality show Little People, Big World.

Novick​ ends the film with a poignant note.

“The next time you see someone who is different than you, think about what their day might be like," says Novick.

"Think about all the events of their life leading up to that point, and think about their day — and think about what part of their day you want to be?”

Source: Huffington Post 

Feds order 2nd autopsy on teen shot by police

The church event was lead by the Rev. Al Sharpton in support of justice for Michael Brown who was killed by police on August 9th.
The church event was lead by the Rev. Al Sharpton in support of justice for Michael Brown who was killed by police on August 9th.

US Attorney General Eric Holder ordered a second, federal autopsy of eighteen-year-old Michael Brown, a teenager shot dead by a police officer in Ferguson, Missouri.

Holder called for the federal autopsy, in addition to one being conducted by state medical examiners, "due to the extraordinary circumstances involved in this case and at the request of the Brown family," Justice Department spokesman Brian Fallon said.

The family is also planning to have a pathologist conduct an independent examination of the body, a family spokesman said.

The US government is seeking to assure the family and community there will be a thorough investigation into a death that has sparked days of racially charged protests.

Shot while unarmed

Brown, who was black, was shot by white police officer Darren Wilson on Aug 9. The police department in the St. Louis suburb has come under strong criticism for both the death of an unarmed man and its handling of the aftermath.

Seven protesters were arrested early on Sunday after Missouri Governor Jay Nixon imposed an overnight curfew aimed at quelling protests and looting. Police used canisters of smoke and later teargas to disperse the crowd, a Missouri State Highway Patrol spokesman said.

Patrol Captain Ron Johnson, entrusted by the governor with restoring order, told hundreds of people gathered at a local church for a rally that he was committed to protecting their right to protest.

"I'm sorry," Johnson, who is black, told Brown's family during remarks that prompted repeated standing ovations. "My heart is heavy."


Capt. Ronald Johnson speaks at an event at the Greater Grace Church by first apologising to Michael Brown's family on Aug 17, 2014. Photo: AFP


Parents of Michael Brown, Michael Brown Sr. and Lesley McSpadden (above in black and white), attend the rally at Greater Grace Church on Aug 17. Photo: AFP

The rally was led by civil rights activist Al Sharpton (above). - Reuters

Surgeon sacked after giving man a vasectomy by mistake

A surgeon in Liverpool has been sacked after giving a man a vasectomy by mistake.

The unidentified man had gone to the Royal Liverpool Hospital for a minor operation but received a vasectomy instead earlier this year, the Liverpool Echo reported.

It was reported that the man had underwent another procedure to reverse the vasectomy but the Liverpool Echo has now revealed that the procedure has apparently failed.

This means that the man can no longer have children naturally.

While there is not known whether the man will try to seek for compensation from the hospital, a clinical negligence lawyer  was quoted as saying that he could be eligible for more than £100,000 in damages (S$208,000).

Unreserved apology

The hospital has "apologised unreservedly to the patient".

The blunder is just one of five operations which Broadgreen Hospital, part of the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust, had admitted to have botched in the last 12 months, reported the Liverpool Echo.

The only other botched procedure that was revealed was a  medical swab that was left inside a patient after a procedure.

"We are still in the process of investigating some of these incidents, including looking at how to improve the processes and systems in place and are taking appropriate action. We cannot comment on the outcomes of these investigations at this stage," said Dr Peter Williams, medical director at the Royal Liverpool and Broadgreen University Hospitals NHS Trust.

“Patient safety is always our priority and we use the lessons learnt from any incident to continually improve our standard of care," he added.

Source: Liverpool Echo

Federer wins 80th title, only Lendl and Connors are ahead of him

 Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after beating of David Ferrer of Spain 6-3,1-6,6-2 during the finals of the Western & Southern Open on August 17, 2014 at the Linder Family Tennis Center in Cincinnati,Ohio
Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates after beating of David Ferrer of Spain 6-3,1-6,6-2 during the finals of the Western & Southern Open on Aug 17 at the Linder Family Tennis Center in Cincinnati,Ohio

Roger Federer won his 80th career title with a 6-3, 1-6, 6-2 win over David Ferrer in the final of the ATP Cincinnati Masters on Sunday.

Federer, 33, becomes just the third player in the open era to reach 80 titles, joining Jimmy Connors (109) and Ivan Lendl (94).

The world number three from Switzerland claimed his sixth Cincinnati title, hammering six aces and winning an impressive 76 percent of his first serve points in the one hour, 42 minute match.

16-0 record against Ferrer

Federer nows owns a 16-0 record against the sixth-seeded Ferrer dating back to their first meeting in Vienna in 2003.

He has never lost a final at Cincinnati, also winning the tournament in 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2012.

He regularly uses this event as a tune-up for the last Grand Slam of the season, the US Open which begins Aug 25 in New York.

Ferrer, who was coming off a quarter-final appearance in Toronto, won just 41 percent of his second serve points and had his serve broken three times. - AFP 

Indon tour boat sinks: Survivors swim 6 hours, drink own urine before rescue

Survivors rescued after a tourist boat sank rest at a house near to the Indonesian town of Bima.
Survivors rescued after a tourist boat sank rest at a house near to the Indonesian town of Bima in West Nusa Tenggara.

After their boat from Lombok to Komodo island sank on Saturday, ten tourists swam six hours to the nearest land, an active volcanic island, to wait for help.

Fortunately, rescuers finally came on Sunday.

The Bali vessel went down on Saturday in the midst of a storm. Fifteen people, who comprised five Indonesians crew and 10 tourists whose nationalities are still unknown, are still missing. 

Among those who were rescued were Britons, Spaniards, Dutch, Germans, French and New Zealanders.

 

The survivors in a house in Bima, Nusa Tenggara. Photo: AFP

A French survivor, Bertrand Homassel, recalled six people being in the lifeboat, while others tried to cling on to safety by climbing onto the roof of the boat that had not completely sunk yet.

"We waited until midday on Saturday. We were five kilometres from the coast and there were many big waves separating us from the coast.

"People started to panic... Everyone took the decision to swim to the closest island, where there was an erupting volcano."

He said they then swam for six hours and arrived on the island, Sangeang Api, just after the sun had set. 

Spent the night at volcanic island

The survivors spent the night there and got by with drinking their own urine and eating leaves.

As a boat passed by, the survivors waved their life jackets to catch their attention. They were then taken to the nearby Indonesian town of Bima.

Homassel said: "I was really very lucky."

Search and rescue officials said that efforts were still ongoing to find the 15 missing people.

Source: Metro, AFP

Tags: bali, tourists and sink

YOURSAY

Help is here for the depressed

Death of Robin Williams from Lili Tan, Executive Director, Singapore Association for Mental Health

Robin Williams.
Premium content not available

TV

Local prime time dramas come with subtitles

From Bernard Lim Managing Director, Television, Mediacorp

Premium content not available

Pages