Cycling for a good cause
Monk given new lease of life after kidney transplant wants to raise awareness for kidney disease
S'pore pop star: Having same name as infamous China blogger made my life hell
She was a victim of netizens' nasty comments for close to three years.
But singer Jocie Kok, 32, did not do anything wrong.
Kok, whose Chinese name is Guo Meimei, was being mistaken for an infamous blogger in China, who goes by the name Guo Meimei Baby.
It was only when Ms Guo was arrested in July for illegal gambling that Kok's name was cleared.
The doe-eyed singer shared with The New Paper in a phone interview how the confusion came about at a time when she was suspected of having cancer.
Read the full report in our print edition on Sept 19.
Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.
Li Na to retire?
Asia's top tennis star Li Na is set to retire, according to an employee of her agent company.
The two-time Grand Slam winner's future had been pulled into doubt in recent weeks after knee injuries forced the 32-year-old to pull out from the US Open and other hard-court tournaments.
Xinhua reported that an agent, who requested to remain anonymous, from Li's agent company IMG said that the China star will break the news later today (Sept 19).
"Li Na will break the news via Sina Weibo on Friday morning and will meet reporters on Sept 21 (Sunday) in Beijing," said the agent.
Li became a regional superstar after she won the French Open in 2011, earning the honour of becoming the first Asian national to clinch a Grand Slam singles title.
While she came close to retirement last year following a poor run of form, the current world No. 6 changed her mind and went on to land a second Grand Slam by claiming this year's Australian Open. The win propelled her to a career high world No. 2 ranking.
Prior to the latest development, Li had been scheduled to make a return in her home city at the inaugural WTA Wuhan Open on Sunday.
Sources: Xinhua, AFP
Man tries to bribe S'pore policeman by offering a whopping $2 million
A man tried to bribe two police officers earlier this month by offering them outrageous sums of money.
The man, who was arrested for disorderly behaviour, first offered a police officer any amount of money to release him, stated a police press release.
The officer, who was processing the 45-year-old man's admission at 2.05am on Sept 6, rejected the offer.
The man then tried to bribe another officer by offering him a whopping $2 million to release him. This out-of-the-world offer was also turned down.
The Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau is investigating the man for the bribery attempt. Police are investigating him for disorderly behaviour.
Costa's dodgy hamstrings concern Jose
Perhaps there might just be a chink in Chelsea's seemingly impenetrable armour.
While the Blues have started the season in blistering fashion thanks largely in part to Diego Costa's goal, Jose Mourinho has revealed that the Spanish goal machine isn't capable of playing three games a week becuase of his dodgy hamstrings.
Despite scoring a hat-trick against Swansea in the English Premier League on Saturday, the 25-year-old began Chelsea's Champions League opener against Schalke on the bench as the Blues were held to a 1-1 draw.
Not enough recovery time
Mourinho said: "Costa has a problem. If he has one week to let the muscle recover he can start a game. Playing on Saturday, three days is not enough for him to recover.
"It was not to protect for the game Sunday (at Manchester City) it was because today he was not in condition to start the game."
Costa has a well-documented history of problems when it comes to his hamstrings.
The striker was substituted during the Champions League final in May with a hamstring injury as his former team Atletico Madrid fell 4-1 to city rivals Real Madrid.
The Brazil-born player then had an ineffective World Cup campaign as Spain crashed out in the group stages and later suffered a hamstring problem while on international duty earlier this month.
Chelsea might still be favourites to win the EPL, but knowing that their star striker has a real weakness might just give opposing teams some hope just yet.
Source: PA Sport
Drog Ron it! Wenger rues missing out on duo
Arsenal fans, put your partisan allegiances aside for a moment and try to imagine what your team would be like with Didier Drogba and Cristiano Ronaldo in it.
Can you picture it? Well, Arsene Wenger sure can - and he rues not making it a reality.
The duo later went on to join Chelsea and Manchester United and their contributions to those clubs only served to prolong a nine-year trophy drought for Arsenal.
While the Gunners have since broken their trophy duck last season with an FA Cup win, Wenger still harbours regrets over missing out on the two players.
Speaking during a question and answer session, Wenger declared: "I would have loved to have managed Didier Drogba, for two reasons.
"One, I missed him when he played at Le Mans in France, not even in the top league. I knew there was a good player there and I missed him.
"And secondly, because he hurt us so much in big games that all this pain would not have happened."
On the biggest transfer target that got away, the Frenchman added: "My biggest regret, I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.
"And not only did I not get him, but he signed for Manchester United.
"That, of course, still hurts today."
Just imagine that, Gooners.
Source: PA Sport
Watch adorable Gwen Stefani in lip sync battle with Blake Shelton, Jimmy Fallon
Gwen Stefani put on a hella good show on stage with Jimmy Fallon and Blake Shelton this week.
The No Doubt frontwoman participated in a lip sync battle with country star Shelton and comedian Fallon on the latter's talk show.
Shelton tackled two retro goodies - Puttin' On The Ritz (the version done by 80s singer Taco) and Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by 80s band Starship.
Fallon dramatised Ellie Goulding hit Burn and 40s classic Cocktails for Two by Spike Jones.
But it was Stefani who outdid the other two, with her lip syncs of Carly Rae Jepsen's Call Me Maybe - complete with sexy dancing in front of Fallon - and the very romantic Endless Love (by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie) with the help of Shelton.
Watch the video above.
Solskjaer leaves Cardiff
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has parted ways with Cardiff City by mutual consent after just nine months as manager.
The ex-Manchester United striker was recruited by the Bluebirds in January to replace Malky Mackay but could not prevent the Welsh club from losing their English Premier League status.
While Cardiff began their return to the Championship with a draw and two wins, the club have suffered three defeats in their last four games, leaving them three points away from the relegation spots in 17th place.
The poor run of form looks to have cost Solskjaer his job.
Cardiff chairman Mehmet Dalman said: "Having spoken with Ole on deciding the best course of action for all parties, I'm sorry to say that we have agreed that it is in the best interest of the club for us to go our separate ways.
"Ole has been a wonderful professional to work with since his arrival at the club. Due to a difference in philosophy of approach to the game, we have decided to part company amicably."
Source: PA Sport