Code of conduct needed: MP
Ex-Gunner takes one year to reply to One Direction
Jens Lehmann was a great goalkeeper. He made many great saves.
But he may not be able to save himself from a red face over his year-late response.
On Saturday (Apr 25), the former Arsenal 'keeper responded to a tweet request from One Direction’s Niall Horan.
The boyband member invited the German via Twitter to play in a charity game in England on May 13.
That would be May 13, 2014.
Yes, it took Lehmann 11 months to respond to the diminutive warbler.
It's not known why Lehmann took so long.
Okay, he only became a regular tweeter last September. Before Sept 26, he last tweet was Feb 18 (an enigmatic shout of "TWITTER!!!.")
It could also be that because Lehmann is not a teenage girl, he has no clue who Horan is.
That could explain Lehmann's hilariously blunt reply: "what for?"
The lesson for Horan is that next time, get your people to call his people.
5 things we learnt about Bruce Jenner
On Friday night, Bruce Jenner confirmed what many had suspected, speculated and gossiped intensely about: That he was transitioning to a woman.
The patriarch of reality TV's Kardashian family admitted in a two hour interview with ABC's Diane Sawyer: "For all intents and purposes, I am a woman."
Jenner's family members and celebrities have taken to social media to voice their support for the former US Olympian.
Here's 5 things we learnt about Bruce Jenner
His stepdaughter Kim Kardashian once walked in on him while he was wearing a dress.
After that, she got into her car and drove off.
They never broached the subject again until much later on.
Surprise, surprise! Of all of Jenner's daughters, Kim has taken his transition the best.
But it was her husband Kanye West that "turned her around on this" with a talk about being true to oneself.
Change isn't coming easy.
Kim told NBC's Today: "I think there is still an adjustment and there's, you know, family therapy.
"And we're really close. You know, I— I see reports that say, you know, 'This one doesn't support him', and, 'This one's over here', and my mom, 'feels this way'. And it's all really so made up."
She added: "We all really support him. Is it a hard adjustment? Yes."
If you think this whole thing is just another publicity stunt for the Kardashian clan, well, it isn't, according to Jenner.
He said during his interview with ABC: "Would I go through a gender change and do all you need to do for that, for the show?
"Have you any idea what I've been going through all my life, and I'm doing it for publicity for a show? Oh my God."
Source: USA Today
He's transitioning to be a woman, but that doesn't mean he's gay.
Jenner told the ABC interviewer straight up: "I'm not gay."
Throughout the interview, he continued to use "he" rather than "she" to refer himself even though he said he had "the soul of a female".
"I'm not a girl in guy's body. I hate that. I am a person, it's who I am," said Jenner.
"My brain is much more female than it is male. It's hard for people to understand but that's what my soul is."
Source: USA Today
What Jenner's family is saying about him on social media:
What celebrities are saying about him on social media:
Girl battles cancer and wins, then she's expelled for missing school
In August 2012, Rose McGrath began the fight for her life.
The US girl was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia – cancer of the white blood cells.
But she was determined to battle the disease and win.
Two-and-a-half years later, the 12-year-old girl stopped her treatment. She had triumphed over cancer.
Then came the devastating news.
She was being dismissed from school for her low-attendance record and poor academic performance.
Rose said while crying: "I didn't do anything wrong, but they still got rid of me."
'She's not having fun, she's sick'
The notice of her dismissal from St. Joseph's Middle School, a private Catholic school in the US state of Michigan, came in the mail last week.
Rose's mother, Mrs Barbara McGrath, said:
"It's not like she's out at the mall having fun, she's in her bed, sick with nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain.
She's not having fun, she's sick. She'd be at school if she could."
She added that her daughter was still recovering from the sickness.
"Even though she's now done with her treatments you still have a very long recovery process because you've basically just put two and a half years of poison into your body.
You're not recovering overnight."
'When I'm at school I'm like everyone else'
Rose told WWMT: "When I'm at home, I'm sick, I don't feel well, no one else does that. But when I'm at school I'm like everyone else."
Despite only attending 32 full days of school this year, Rose was on track to pass her core classes, her parents claimed.
In the notice, the school said it had tried to work with Rose to reduce her workload, reported CBS News.
Father John Fleckenstein, with Battle Creek Area Catholic Schools, said: "These were extraordinary circumstances, but so many accommodations were made we felt eventually it became a point where we really had to help Rose, by being able to make sure that she was getting the assistance that she needed and to learn."
Rose's parents have filed a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights.
Street stripper found
The “Petaling Street stripper” – who was initially thought to be a foreign tourist – is in fact a 32-year-old Malaysian.
Police arrested the Sabahan who was caught on video removing her white jacket, black blouse and bra at the popular tourist street during an argument over her refusal to pay for her meal.
The then set off down the Petaling Jaya street topless. The video of the incident went viral.
Dang Wangi OCPD Asst Comm Zainol Samah confirmed that following a public tip-off the woman was nabbed at a hotel in Jalan Sultan at about 5.30am on Saturday.
“Initial information indicated that she could be an Iranian, but it is not true. She is a Malaysian,” he said.
ACP Zainol said the woman was unable to provide any personal identification. Police will conduct a drug test.
In the video, she was seen arguing with another person and later took off her clothes.
The incident took place 4.30pm on Thursday.
The woman had eaten at a chicken rice restaurant with a man – described by witnesses as Caucasian – and refused to pay.
ACP Zainol suggested the as yet unnamed woman may have had too much to drink having consumed two bottles of beer at the restaurant.
“She scolded the owner and taunted her,” he said, adding that the restaurant owner did not file a police report.
The woman stripped, apparently to avoid settling the RM18 ($6.70) bill.
Witnesses said the woman’s companion got into a scuffle with the restaurant operator when she was not allowed to leave.
The duo fled when policemen arrived at the scene.
Source: The Star Online
City pull off last-minute win after almost throwing away victory
MANCHESTER CITY 3 - ASTON VILLA 2
Substitute Fernandinho struck a late winner as Manchester City killed off an Aston Villa comeback to claim a frantic 3-2 victory at the Etihad Stadium.
City looked to have thrown away victory as Villa recovered from 2-0 down with second-half goals from Tom Cleverley and Carlos Sanchez but Fernandinho had the final word in the 89th minute.
City had been gifted an early lead when Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan blundered and Sergio Aguero pounced.
The hosts were far from convincing but looked to have the game wrapped up when Aleksandar Kolarov curled home an excellent free-kick after the break.
But FA Cup finalists Villa, initially flat after last week's Wembley exertions, hit back, showing plenty of urgency in what is still a fight against relegation for them.
Sanchez thought he had snatched a hard-earned point but City recovered to reclaim second place in the table ahead of the clash between rivals Arsenal and Manchester United later in the weekend.
City were unchanged and similar to last week - when West Ham's James Collins gifted them an opener - the hosts were handed an early goal.
This time goalkeeper Guzan erred when, seemingly under no pressure, he badly miskicked a Ron Vlaar backpass and effectively gave Aguero an open goal.
Naturally, City's ace marksman accepted the chance and slid home his 27th goal of the season with just three minutes on the clock.
If Guzan was hoping to force his way into manager Tim Sherwood's thinking for Wembley, having deferred to Shay Given so far in the cup run, it was the worst possible start.
Things almost got worse for the American too as he came out to claim a Kolarov free-kick but completely missed the ball. To his relief Fernando was unable to guide the ball into the empty net.
Guzan did deal with an Aguero shot from the edge of the area but Villa's sloppy start continued as an aimless Leandro Bacuna backpass played in the Argentinian yet again. This time Villa were able to scramble back and Jesus Navas' follow-up effort was blocked.
Sherwood looked far from happy on the Villa touchline but his team did eventually settle and start to control some possession.
A defensive lapse from City almost allowed them back into the game as the ball rebounded into Christian Benteke's path while the back line appealed for offside. Fortunately for City, goalkeeper Joe Hart blocked from the Belgian.
Toure looked laboured in the latter stages of the first half, clutching his hamstring at times. It was no surprise he was withdrawn at the interval with Fernandinho taking his place.
City showed more purpose after the restart, with Navas breaking to the byline but finding no-one has he pulled the ball back across goal.
Aguero went down in the area after tangling with Jores Okore but referee Mike Dean was not convinced.
City looked to have made the game safe with Kolarov's superb free-kick after Fernandinho was felled 30 yards from goal in the 66th minute.
The set-piece was cleverly disguised as Milner faked and Kolarov bent a low shot around the wall which gave Guzan no chance.
It seemed City had the game sewn up but Villa had other ideas and quickly responded.
A free-kick of their own caused problems in the City box and Jack Grealish's cross was only half-cleared. Cleverley came running onto the loose ball outside the area and drove a shot through several bodies and past Hart.
Another nightmare seemed to be unfolding for City when Hart flapped at a corner five minutes from time and Sanchez took full advantage.
They could even have lost the game and were thankful for a dubious offside flag against Benteke before he was tripped in the penalty box by Hart.
But there was still time for one final piece of drama and Fernandinho provided it at the other end as he controlled on his chest from a corner and drove home the winner.
Source: PA Sport
Nepal earthquake: Singapore Red Cross contributing $50,000
The Singapore Red Cross will be disbursing $50,000 worth of relief items and emergency supplies to those affected by the 7.8-magnitude earthquake in Nepal on Saturday (April 25).
At least 1,800 people were killed and more than 4,500 people were injured in the quake, which rippled through capital Kathmandu and unleashed a deadly avalanche at Everest base camp.
Rescuers battled landslide debris and communication blackouts on Sunday (April 26) as they frantically searched for survivors.
SRC is appealing for donations for the relief and recovery efforts in Nepal. (Details below.) The Singapore Government has contributed $100,000 towards this appeal.
Aid from Singapore
Mr Benjamin William, secretary general of SRC, said: "We are appealing to the Singapore public to help the affected people as they mourn their loss and begin to rebuild their lives.
"The Singapore Red Cross will channel the funds collected towards acute emergency relief and recovery assistance for the affected communities and the people who have lost homes and livelihoods."
The Singapore Armed Forces will be sending a team of about 15 medical personnel, as well as personnel from the Changi Regional Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Coordination Centre, to assist in the relief efforts.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force will be sending a 55-man search-and-rescue contingent. The police will be sending a contingent of officers.
A spokesman for Nepal’s home ministry said the government had released around US$500 million (S$666m) as emergency funds for rescue operations.
Sources: AFP, The Straits Times
How you can help:
Donate cash to SRC
SRC will be accepting walk-in donations starting Monday (April 27).
You can visit the Red Cross House (15 Penang Lane, Singapore 236486) from 9am to 6pm on weekdays to make a contribution.
Send a cheque to SRC
Make your cheque payable to "Singapore Red Cross Society", indicate "Nepal Earthquake Relief Fund", donor’s name, contact number and address at the back, and post it to Red Cross House (15 Penang Lane, Singapore 236486).
Trying to contact a relative in Nepal?
Those wishing to contact their loved ones in the affected areas can register here or call the SRC hotline at 6664 0501 from Monday (April 27).
Sweet medley of fruits and vegetables
This is a simple yet fun dish to make and guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
Invest in an authentic rojak mixing bowl for that touch of authenticity.
Don't skimp on the rojak sauce.
Prawn paste is the anchor ingredient of this dish. I prefer those produced in Penang as they are thicker and the darker shade is also more attractive.
Prepare your own crushed peanuts. You can buy skinned raw peanuts and dry-fry them in a wok over medium-low heat. Stir-fry continuously to prevent them from burning.
Once cooled, crush them using a mortar and pestle. Don't use the food processor as it makes the peanuts too fine.
The portions given here are just a guide. You can always decide on what ingredients you want to use and their quantities - the best part about making your own rojak.
- 4 tbsp prawn paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 4 tbsp water
- Dried chilli paste
- 4 tbsp crushed peanuts
- 1/3 green mango, use a peeler to create slices
- 1 large slice of pineapple, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 bang kwang (yam bean), use a peeler to create slices
- 1 cucumber, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 you tiao (fried dough stick)
- 1 tau pok (fried beancurd puffs)
- 1 jambu (water apple), cut into cubes
- 100g kang kong
- 100g beansprouts
- 100g cooked jellyfish
- 1 century egg, cut into small pieces
- 1 torch ginger bulb
1. Mix tamarind pulp with water. Strain and reserve the the tamarind juice.
2. Boil the kang kong for three minutes. (A)
3. Boil the beansprouts for three minutes. Strain and set aside.
4. Toast the you tiao and tau pok until crispy. Cut the you tiao into 3cm pieces. Cut the tau pok into small pieces.
5. In the rojak bowl (or a big bowl), mix the prawn paste, sugar, salt and 1 tbsp of tamarind juice. (B)
6. Add the chilli paste and mix well.
7. Add some slices of the torch ginger bulb.
8. Add the kang kong and beansprouts. Mix well.
10. Add the you tiao, tau pok, bang kwang, cucumber and jelly fish. Mix well. (C)
11. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
12. Top with century egg. 13. Garnish with crushed peanuts.