Finally getting his man? Cheeky Jose teases loaning Gerrard

Jose Mourinho tried to bring Steven Gerrard to Chelsea in 2005 before the Liverpool midfielder had a change of heart.
Jose Mourinho tried to bring Steven Gerrard to Chelsea in 2005 before the Liverpool midfielder had a change of heart.

It's no secret that Jose Mourinho has had his eye on Steven Gerrard for a long time.

Now, with the prospect of a Gerrard-less EPL looming, Mourinho is turning up the charm.

The Chelsea boss revealed ahead of his side's League Cup clash with Liverpool that he had dreamt of a Blues midfield trio of Gerrard, Claude Makelele and Frank Lampard back in 2005.

Despite nearly succeeding in luring the all-action midfielder to Stamford Bridge, the move fell through when Gerrard had a change of heart and decided to stay with his boyhood club.

With the Liverpool captain set to leave the Merseyside legends for the Los Angeles Galaxy at the end of the season, Mourinho appears open to loaning Gerrard until the start of the Major League Soccer season.

Loan?

When asked by the BBC's 5 Live if he would like to keep Gerrard in England, the Special One replied: "Or perhaps to take him on loan?"

Even if the loan talk was tongue-in-cheek, Mourinho made his feelings clear on the Premier League losing one of the finest midfielders to have graced the competition.

"I'm not happy he leaves," declared the Portuguese tactician.

"I would love the Premier League to keep always the best players.

"I think he has more than enough quality to play in the Premier League. In spite (of the fact) he's my opponent, I feel sorry that he's leaving."

Source: BBC, Mail Online

Headmaster of M'sia school dies after collapsing on stage during farewell ceremony

The headmaster of a Perak school collapsed on stage during his farewell ceremony on Tuesday.

Mr Cheah Hock Hin officially retired on Jan 13, his 60th birthday, but had decided to work for a few more days.

The sending-off ceremony kicked off with appreciation speeches before Mr Cheah took to the stage to address his staff for the last time, reported The Star Online.

He delivered his speech and sang two songs for the audience.

Then midway through the second song, he collapsed.

Teachers quickly performed first aid before rushing him to hospital. He was pronounced dead at 12.15pm.

Work pressure

Mr Cheah’s wife Sin Lee Phin, 56, said her husband was dedicated to improving the school’s performance index.

"About two years ago, my husband complained of chest pains and blamed it on work pressure.

"As he is also diabetic and has high blood pressure, he went to see a doctor who said that he was healthy, and prescribed some medication for him.

"He looked normal before he left for work in the morning," said Madam Sin last night (Jan 20).

The couple have four sons aged 24, 26, 29 and 34.

Mr Cheah will be cremated in Taiping on Saturday.

Source: The Star Online

Boy, 4, drowns after falling into manhole at Penang school

The manhole at a school in Penang where four-year-old Law Bin Jian drowned.

Law Bin Jian, 4, had been accompanying his mother, a helper at the school canteen, to work.

Then he went missing. His mother, Ling Zhu, frantically searched for the boy after realising he was gone.

Then she spotted one of his slippers inside an exposed manhole which was filled with water.

Madam Ling immediately jumped into the manhole and pulled her son out, but he was pronounced dead.

Allocate funds for repair

Bin Jian was the fourth of five siblings and usually went with his mother to her work.

Police have confirmed the incident.

Chairman of the school’s board of management Chow Liong said he was deeply saddened by the incident and urged authorities to allocate funds to the school to carry out repair work.

Source: The Star Online

TNP poll: 7 in 10 readers agree with proposed curbs on public boozing

Young people gather in groups of between three and a dozen at Robertson Bridge before clubbing at Zouk. Armed with bottles of booze, they sit around chatting, laughing and binge drinking - “topping up” on liquor levels before making their way to the club.

Aye! The majority of those that TNP polled online agreed with the Bill that proposes to curb public boozing.

The Bill was discussed in Parliament on Monday (Jan 19).

Among the restrictions being debated:

  • No public consumption of alcohol at public places like parks and void decks from 10.30pm to 7am.
  • No take-away liquor sales after 10.30pm.

More than 200 people took the survey and 67 per cent agreed with these proposed curbs.

Meanwhile, three-quarters of respondents (or 150 readers) felt the proposed changes could benefit residents. 

About two-thirds also said they've come across drunk behaviour in their respective estates.

Here's a sample of their feedback, grouses and observations:

 

1) On drinkers who consume alcohol in public: They do not know how to clean up after themselves.

"Two men were drunk laying at the multi purpose hall with bottles of beer and rubbish strewn beside them.

"It was 8am in the morning on a Sunday, (when) residents were out and about."

2) On how public drinking can contribute to unruly behaviour:

"Few guys hanging around having alcohol, suddenly one of them who had a little more got high and started overturning the table as well as using vulgarity at the rest. 

"A fight broke out after that."

3) Personal encounter with drunken behaviour:

"It was late at night and my neighbour from the storey above knocked my door very loudly.

"He was so drunk, he didn't even know his way to (his) home."

Many also talked about rubbish that drunk revellers leave behind.

______________________________________________________________________________

Related report:

WATCH & VOTE: Are proposed curbs on public drinking 'timely'?

Man sends love letters to lure women into bed to film and blackmail them

In the age of instant messaging and e-mail, an old-fashioned love letter is quite a treat. 

When penned by a suitor or admirer, it can be considered an extremely romantic gesture.

A man in Kuala Lumpur has been doing just that, except he has not limited himself to just one woman.

The man in his 40s has been sending love letters to housewives, career women and students in an attempt to woo them into bed, reported China Press.

His motive? To film their sex romps and then blackmail the women.

Duped

The man, who is described as good-looking and masculine, has duped at least seven women, two of whom have paid a total of RM29,000 (S$10,700).

The woman lodged a complaint with Malaysia Community Policing Association president Kuan Chee Heng several days ago.

The lothario would send them love letters. When they responded positively, he would arrange dates at hotel rooms, where he would recorded their sex sessions.

While only seven women have been revealed as blackmail victims, it was reported that the man has made 250 bookings for hotel rooms in the past three months.

Mr Kuan said the video footage used in the blackmail attempts did not show the man and urged other victims to lodge police reports.

Source: The Star Online

Snatch thief dies in road accident shortly after stealing woman's handbag

His act of robbery ultimately robbed him of his life. 

A thief died when he was knocked down by a car moments after snatching a woman's handbag along Cheras-Kajang Expressway in Malaysia. 

The incident happened when the motorcycle being ridden by the woman and her husband, was approached by another motorcycle which was ridden by the thief. 

Without warning, the thief took a swipe at the woman's handbag.

The woman refused to let go of her handbag which resulted in a tug-of-war. 

This lasted for a few seconds before all three fell onto the road. 

The thief managed to get back on his motorcycle and flee with the handbag.     

Hit from behind 

"However, as the man rode off on the main expressway, he was hit from behind by a car," said a police spokesman.

"The driver said she couldn’t stop in time when the robber swerved into her lane."

The couple sustained minor injuries from the incident and were taken to a local hospital. 

Source: The Star Online

WATCH: Prankster fills house with plastic balls to surprise wife

YouTube prankster Roman Atwood and his wife are known for being a couple who loves pranking each other and other people.

This time, Atwood decided to prank his wife, but in a sweet way. 

His friends and family helped fill his living room with 250,000 plastic balls after his wife left for work, and when she returned home, she had the most colourful surprise. 

It's a much sweeter prank than one of his earlier stunts.

In November, he thought it would be funny to convince his other half think that he had thrown one of their kids from the balcony.

What a fun guy. Occasionally.

 

Source: YouTube, Mashable

Tags: prank and plastic balls

Punished for not reaching work goals? Staff 'voluntarily kneel' on public bridge

Voluntary punishment? Staff kneel on a bridge for an hour as punishment for not reaching their goals at work.

They failed to reach their goals at work.

As punishment, several employees of a company ended up kneeling on a bridge in Xiamen, east China's Fujian province, for an hour.

Each of the five men and sole woman had a piece of paper with their names in front of them, which read: “I voluntarily kneel for 60 minutes on this bridge for not reaching my goals.” 

The incident happened on Jan 15 and stirred much debate online.

Photo: Weibo/ fjbaoliao

 

The story has received over 100,000 views since Xiamen Daily published it this week.

Jimei University law teacher Ju Donghong told the daily:

"The company might be legally responsible for such punishments if it was found to have coerced its employees to do so.
"If it's not voluntary, then it violates their rights as people."

Many netizens who left comments sympathised with the workers' plight.

One said:

"It's so humiliating to kneel in front of the public and have your name there for the world to see.
"If I was one of them, I'd rather quit this job."

Another said it was a terrible blow to the pride.

While some people wondered whether it was some kind of business promotion that the company put on, others were critical of the workers themselves.

Added another online user: "These employees have no guts."

Source: Xiamen Daily, Weibo

The X-Files and Prison Break may return to TV - Here are 9 other shows we'd love to see come back

Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully from The X-Files.

Fox has confirmed that it is looking to bring back two hit shows, The X-Files and Prison Break.

This comes after the success it had resurrecting the show 24 last year. 

CEOs Dana Walden and Gary Newman said the new season of The X-Files will not happen without original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. 

Duchovny is currently working on the drama Aquarius while Anderson is involved in two series. 

"It's a little bit hard," Newman said. "I really don't know how fast it could happen because of (the stars' schedules). But there are ongoing conversations happening."

As for Prison Break, a new season will likely have to be a prequel, since the original series ended with Wentworth Miller's character dying. 


Photos: Twentieth Century Fox​, Fox

Newman said, "We've made it clear over the years that we'd bring Prison Break back in a heartbeat.

"I think the audience forgives you quite a bit if you're bringing back one of their favourite shows."

If TV shows making a comeback are a new trend, we're going to start lobbying for some of our favourites to return as well. 

  1. FRIENDS
    Even a decade after its finale, we're still watching and talking about Friends. 


     

  2. THE OFFICE
    Steve Carell's departure was a big blow to this comedy, but the remaining characters were still adorable and offbeat enough to charm audiences.


     

  3. HAPPY ENDINGS
    This show, with its rapid-fire pop culture references, was a gem. It got cut way too soon. 


     

  4. GILMORE GIRLS
    This sweet, funny mother-daughter comedy was a joy to watch, mostly because of the banter between main stars Alexis Bledel and Lauren Graham.


     

  5. EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND
    Who says being mean isn't funny! Yes, we know the late Peter Boyle (Raymond's dad) will be missing if the show ever returned, but the rest of the characters are amazing enough to make you want to see them again. Who knows, the kids might be old enough to create some chaos too!


     

  6. PUSHING DAISIES
    This whimsical show about a man who bakes pies and who can bring dead people back to life was so, so charming. 


     

  7. FREAKS AND GEEKS
    It was the show that made Linda Cardellini, James Franco, Samm Levine, Seth Rogen and Jason Segel big stars. How awesome would it be if they all got back together?


     

  8. ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT
    Although the show was brought back for one more season after it ended, we still haven't had our fill. There's literally not a single sane character, and that's exactly why we love it. 


     

  9. BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER
    It would be fun to see how Buffy slays the modern-day (twinkly) vampires that are all the rage these days. 

    Sources: Mashable, Moviestalk, TV Guide

Two ex-pro wrestlers sue WWE over concussions

50 -year-old Vito LoGrasso along with another former WWE wrestler has brought a lawsuit against WWE

Two former WWE professional wrestlers say they have serious brain injuries after suffering repeated concussions in the ring.

And they have filed a potential class-action lawsuit against the Connecticut-based company in federal court in Philadelphia, US.

Vito LoGrasso, 50, of Coatesville, Pennsylvania, and Evan Singleton, 22, of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, accuse World Wrestling Entertainment of “selling violence” and ignoring their “numerous” concussions.

The lawsuit state that WWE has - for decades - subjected its wrestlers to extreme physical hurt that it knows or should have known causes a variety of medical problems that include brain damage.

All in the name of entertainment.

LoGrasso, whose ring names included Big Vito and Skull Von Krush, (who wrestled in the WWE from 1991 to 1998 and from 2005 to 2007) was “seriously and obviously injured countless times,” according to the lawsuit.

big vito on Make A Gif
Vito LoGrasso​ going for the big move during his time in WWE

 

It said he was “forced to wrestle though he was losing consciousness before and during matches.”

LoGrasso now suffers from “serious neurological damage” and has memory loss, depression and anxiety, the lawsuit said.

Singleton wrestled for WWE under the name of Adam Mercer from 2012 to 2013. He started his career at the age of 19 and was among the youngest wrestlers in WWE history.

He now has “an array of serious symptoms” including tremors, convulsions, memory loss and “impaired ability to reason.”

The lawsuit is similar to those filed in several other US sports, including the National Football League, whose settlement with former players over concussions could reach as high as $1 billion.

Attorney Jerry McDevitt, representing the WWE, said the suit was similar to one filed in Oregon and that WWE had never concealed medical information from its wrestlers.

He said:

“WWE was well ahead of sports organizations in implementing concussion management procedures and policies as a precautionary measure as the science and research on this issue emerged.”

Source: Reuters, Twitter, YouTube

Tags: WWE, wrestlers and injuries

Pages