Ex-KTV lounge employee jailed three years for pocketing $360,000

To pay off her gambling debts, a KTV lounge staff member pocketed close to $360,000 from her employer.

Jasmine Teo Rui Ling, 38, who was an accounts administrator with Legend Palace at Sophia Road, offered to help the cashier bank in the daily takings.

The cashier agreed to the arrangement, and would hand over the daily cash proceeds to Teo in a ziplock bag.

But Teo did not bank in the full sum and tried to cover up discrepancies in the accounts with cash proceeds from subsequent days. 

The offences took place between December 2012 and March 2013, reported The Straits Times.

Confronted the woman

Her colleagues later discovered that the funds deposited was less than the $359,280.60 noted in sales reports.

They confronted her and gave her a chance to return the money.

But by March 22 last year, she had paid back only $160,000. A police report was then made.

To date, $188,000 has been returned.

Gambling addiction

On Wednesday, Teo was sentenced to three years’ jail for committing criminal breach of trust.

Teo was previously jailed in 2004 and 2009 for offences which included criminal breach of trust.

Defence counsel Surian Sidambaram said Teo committed the crimes due to her gambling addiction, which she started seeking treatment for in 2011.

She had stopped gambling, but committed her most recent crime to pay off debts that had arisen from the habit, her lawyer said.

Teo is out on $50,000 bail. The judge granted her request to spend time with her children over the Chinese New Year period. She will start serving her sentence on Feb 24.

Source: The Straits Times

Boy, five, falls to death from sixth floor unit in Petaling Jaya

The place from where the boy fell to his death on Wednesday
The place from where the boy fell to his death on Wednesday

He was playing a game of chase with his older brother on Wednesday (Jan 28).

But tragedy struck after the five-year-old fell to his death through the railings from the sixth floor of a People’s Housing Projects block in Kota Damansara, Petaling Jaya, The Star reported.

Their mother was cooking lunch for the family when the older brother, seven, ran into the house and told her about the incident.

“My legs gave away after seeing his lifeless body sprawled on the ground,” she said in between tears.

He was the youngest among five siblings.

Security guard Zarina Johan, 52, said she heard a thud coming from upstairs as she was standing guard on the ground floor of the block.

She told The Star: “I thought someone had thrown a large pile of rubbish. I was so shocked to see the body of a boy lying on the spot where the sound came from.”

Ms Zarina alerted the mother after she recognised the child.

She said: “I saw his mother falling to her knees upon reaching his body.”

Source: The Star

Luis Figo announces bid for Fifa presidency

Figo has claimed he has secured the necessary support from five national football associations, but declined to identify them
Figo has claimed he has secured the necessary support from five national football associations, but declined to identify them

Former Portugal and Real Madrid winger Luis Figo announced on Wednesday (Jan 28) that he is to challenge incumbent Sepp Blatter in this year’s Fifa’s presidential election.

“I care about football, so what I’m seeing regarding the image of Fifa — not only now but in the past years — I don’t like it,” the 42-year-old said in an interview broadcast by CNN.

“If you search Fifa on the Internet you see the first word that comes out: scandal — not positive words. It’s that we have to change first and try to improve the image of FIFA. Football deserves much better than this.”

Figo joins Asian Football Confederation vice-president Prince Ali bin Al Hussein, Dutch football chief Michael van Praag, ex-Fifa executive Jerome Champagne and former France winger David Ginola in the running to unseat Blatter, who will bid for a fifth term in office in the May 29 election.

The deadline for nominees to announce their candidacies falls on Thursday (Jan 29).

Figo told CNN he had secured the necessary support from five national football associations, but declined to identify them.

He said: “I’ve been talking with so many important people in football — players, managers, president of federations — and they all think that something has to be done.”

Figo won the Ballon d’Or in 2000 and was voted Fifa World Player of the Year in 2001.

Source: AFP

Win! One tennis ball autographed by Serena Williams up for grabs!

Serena Williams at the Australian Open.
Serena Williams at the Australian Open.

Can't be at Melbourne to catch the Australian Open live?

Fret not.

You can now own an exclusive piece of tennis memorabilia - a tennis ball signed by women's world No. 1, and four-time Australian Open winner Serena Williams - even from the comforts of your home!

The New Paper sports desk wants to reward you, our lovely readers, throughout the year. 

And this week, we are giving away ONE Serena Williams autographed tennis ball, courtesy of Qatar Airways.

The contest ends at 4.30pm on Saturday, Jan 31

Stand a chance to win with these simple steps - Follow, Favourite, Retweet and Reply

Step 1: Follow us on @TNPSports on Twitter
Step 2: Our contest tweet will be hashtagged #TNPIWant
Step 3: Favourite, retweet and reply the contest tweet

Winners will be picked at random, and notified via Twitter at 5pm on Feb 1.

Remember, you must be a follower of @TNPSports on Twitter to win.

So what are you waiting for? Start following us @TNPSports for awesome prizes!

Southeast Asia’s most wanted terrorist may be still alive: reports

Marwan was believed to have been killed in a clash with Philippine troops on Sunday
Marwan was believed to have been killed in a clash with Philippine troops on Sunday

Several newspapers in the Philippines are reporting that Southeast Asia’s most wanted terrorist Zulkifli bin Hir, alias Marwan, is alive.

It is contrary to a claim by Philippines Interior Secretary Manuel Roxas that there was a high likelihood he was killed.

The Philippines Daily Inquirer, quoting Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) commanders, had reported that Marwan and another terrorist Basit Usman may have been killed in a clash with troops near Cotabota, in Mindanao, on Sunday evening.

“They did not get Marwan, he’s still alive,” Manila Standard Today quoted Absalom Cerveza, a spokesman for the MNLF as saying.

His MNLF members have been closely monitoring the “very fluid situation” in Mindanao.

Cerveza said former MNLF rebels, who have contacts in both Moro Islamic Liberation Front and its renegade faction Bangsamoro Islamic Freedom Fighters, were reporting that Marwan was no longer in the area during the early Sunday raid in Mamasapano, Maguindanao, that resulted in the death of 44 police commandos.

“It’s anybody’s guess,” Cerveza said when asked if he had an idea where Marwan was now, “but my contacts reiterated that Marwan was not in the area when the assault occurred”, The Star reported quoting reports from the Philippines.

Source: The Star 

KFC Philippines unleashes a new meat monster with the Double Down Dog

The KFC Double Down Dog.
The KFC Double Down Dog.

Meat lovers, feast your eyes on this.

As if their Double Down "burger" wasn't enough of a calorific terror, Kentucky Fried Chicken has whipped out a new creation that will surely strike fear into the hearts of cardiologists and fitness trainers everywhere the Double Down Dog.

Featuring a chicken sausage sandwiched in a golden fried chicken breast topped with a honey mustard and relish, the Double Down Dog was released in limited quantities at select KFC outlets in the Philippines on Monday and Tuesday.

The demand for it was so great, the fast food chain announced that it would be making the Double Down Dog available at all outlets across the archipelago.

 

 
Post by KFC.

 

Will this cardiac monstrosity appear in Singapore?

The ball's in your court, KFC Singapore.

Source: Facebook

GALLERY: US woman took her dying dog on a bucket-list adventure

Lauren Fern Watt took her dying dog on a bucket list adventure
Lauren Fern Watt took her dying dog on a bucket list adventure

Lauren Fern Watt's best friend was her 73kg english mastiff, Gizelle.

When she found out last year that the dog had terminal bone cancer, she was devastated.

The 25-year-old woman wrote on her blog: "Together Gizelle and I had been through college, boyfriends, our early 20s, and a move from simple Tennessee to big and scary New York City. This dog wasn’t just my best friend, she was my roommate and confidant."

Ms Watt decided to make the most of Gizelle's remaining time by taking her on a bucket-list adventure

After the dog died earlier this month, she shared her story on Yahoo! Travel. 

"It was my mission for us to indulge and explore life's joys," said Ms Watt.

She said the adventure helped her cope with the loss of her pet and view life in a different way. 

Here are some of the things they did.

Go for a canoe ride

See the Times Square

Eat ice cream on a dock

Go on a road trip

Cuddle as much as possible

Find the best doughnut in the world

Sit on the beach in the winter

Sources: Yahoo, Instagram, Lauren Fern Watt, Aplus

Congrats, Joanne Peh and Qi Yuwu! Here's why we bet you'll have a boy...

Happy news: Qi Yuwu (above, left) and Joanne Peh are over the moon at expecting their first child.

Celebrity couples seem to be saying "I do" when it comes to making babies - and fulfilling their "National Service" duties.

The latest to announce success are actress Joanne Peh and hubby Qi Yuwu,38.

Yes, it's official: Joanne, 31, is pregnant.

Hello, SG50 baby!

MediaCorp released a statement today:

"We are delighted to share that Joanne Peh and Qi Yuwu are expecting their first baby.
"Parents-to-be Joanne and Yuwu waited until the “safe period” to share this happy news. They thank their well-wishers and fans for their care and concern.

We presume the safe period was after she has passed her first trimester.

Joanne had this to say:

“Thank you, thank you. I am in good health and we both look forward to welcoming the new addition to our family.”

Gazing into the crystal ball, TNP is predicting the new addition will likely be a boy.

Here's some - admittedly unscientific - evidence: Just look back at the celebrity kids born in the past year:

 

 

A photo posted by Fann Wong(@fannaiaiwong) on

 

Christopher Lee and Fann Wong with son Zed.

 

 

 

A photo posted by *Andie Chen 陈邦鋆 (@andiechen) on

 

Andie Chen and Kate Pang with son Aden.

 

 

 

A photo posted by Zoe Tay (@zoetay10) on

 

Yvonne Lim (bottom right, in mustard vest) with son AJ (Alex Junior).

 

 

 

A photo posted by Fann Wong (@fannaiaiwong) on

 

Brandon Wong (in yellow) with son Jave.

 

Do you believe us now?

PM Lee Hsien Loong chides S'pore hipsters for not picking up after themselves

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong gently chides Laneway Festival goers for not picking up after themselves.

How many hipsters does it take to turn Gardens by the Bay into trash by the bay?

Apparently, 13,000 people - the number that turned up at Singapore's sold-out Laneway Festival on Saturday.

On Facebook, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong lightly chided Singaporeans for not cleaning up after themselves after one of the biggest music festivals in Singapore.

Placing a photo of the festival's aftermath besides a photo of a Myanmar fan cleaning up after an AFF Suzuki Cup match in November, Mr Lee reminded Singaporeans that "it takes a continuous effort to keep Singapore clean".

He added:

"All of us can play a part - picking up our own litter, educating our children and grandchildren, and reminding others to do the right thing."
 

 

So here's the question: How many people does it take for hipsters to clean up after themselves?

Apparently, all it takes is your Prime Minister.

Below are some photos of what The Meadow at Gardens by the Bay looked, post-litterbugs.

 

 

 

 

 

With more outdoor gigs lined up over the next few months, here's hoping that hipsters would have learned by then:

1. The Gathering at Fort Canning Green

 

2. Future Music Festival Asia 

 

Pages