Here's Spidey: Australian returns from Bali with creature living in his tummy

Dylan Thomas was on holidays on the Indonesian island of Bali when the tiny creature borrowed through a small appendix scar and traveled up his torso.
Dylan Thomas was on holidays on the Indonesian island of Bali when the tiny creature borrowed through a small appendix scar and traveled up his torso.

Spiderman fans, meet the ordinary dude who can give the superhero a run for his money.

Australian Dylan Thomas came home from Bali with a rather creepy add-on: A spider in his stomach.

The tiny creature had brrowed through a small appendix scar on his body and traveled up his torso, leaving an red scar-like trail from the navel to chest.

 

 

 

Lifting his shirt, Thomas told an Australian television network “that’s where it actually borrowed underneath my skin”.

While still in Bali, Thomas visited a local medical centre and was prescribed an antihistamine for an insect bite.

He wrote on his Facebook post: "Well after running tests and putting things inside my stomach, they finally found out it was a tropical spider that’s been living inside me for the last three days.”

 

 

 

“They managed to pull the spider out of my naval and put it in a specimen jar and took it away,” said Thomas, whose friends have nicknamed him Spiderman. - Reuters

 

Tags: Australian, bali and spider

Barbie dolls? Pass, kids now want Frozen dolls and Lego

The Barbie brand recorded a 21 per cent decline in sales.
The Barbie brand recorded a 21 per cent decline in sales.

A decade ago, a new Barbie doll would have been on top of many little girls' Christmas wishlist.

But now, with the likes of Lego taking over as world's largest toy maker, Barbie is struggling as a brand.

Its toymaker Mattel reported that the Barbie brand saw a 21 per cent decline in sales during the third quarter, compared to the same period last year.

So what are some of the more popular dolls out there?

Fortunately, top sellers mostly belong to Mattel. So this may guide those of you already thinking about the kids' Christmas gifts.

1. Monster High dolls

This is arguably one of Mattel's most successful doll brands and has created an entire franchise that includes TV specials and upcoming films.

2. Frozen dolls

The hugely popular dolls, currently made by Mattel, from the hit Disney movie Frozen continues to ice out much of its competition.

However, Mattel is in trouble as Disney will be taking its license for the Frozen toys and other Disney princesses over to rival toymaker Hasbro.

3. Lego

These timeless toys has only grown more popular over the years - thanks to the success of The Lego Movie.

4. Tablets for kids

Definitely a sign that technology is an integral part of a kid's life.

It seems many children are making requests for tablets bearing cute games as opposed to wanting actual dolls.

Source: The Washington Post, AFP, Toys R Us and Facebook

Football: Messi eyes La Liga top-scorer record on 10th anniversary with Barca

Lionel Messi needs just two more goals to equal Telmo Zarra’s all-time Spanish top-flight record of 251, set in the 1950s.
Lionel Messi needs just two more goals to equal Telmo Zarra’s all-time Spanish top-flight record of 251, set in the 1950s.

In the week that he marked the 10th anniversary of his competitive debut for Barcelona, Lionel Messi could become the all-time top scorer in the history of La Liga.

The Argentine debuted as a 17-year-old in a 1-0 win at city rivals Espanyol on October 16, 2004.

Now he is preparing to face Eibar at the Camp Nou on Saturday - needing just two goals to equal Telmo Zarra’s all-time Spanish top-flight record of 251, set in the 1950s.

Messi, who told fans he was “constantly trying to improve and win more titles,” has been back at his best in the early weeks of this season to help the Catalans to the top of La Liga with six wins and a draw in their opening seven games.


Photos: Reuters, AFP

They are two points clear of Valencia and have yet to concede a goal so far. They will want to keep that form going against Eibar before they go to Real Madrid for the first Clasico of the campaign next weekend.

“To go into the Clasico in the best possible condition we need to win on Saturday,” said left-back Jordi Alba.

“If we don’t win this one, we will suffer when we play in Madrid. Eibar have had good results away from home and if we don’t play at a high level they will make it difficult for us.”

Eibar will hope that Luis Enrique’s side are distracted by thoughts of Madrid and their Champions League meeting with Ajax in midweek, although the Basque side have had an impressive start to the season themselves.

The entire population of the town could fit into the Camp Nou three times and still leave empty spaces, but Gaizka Garitano’s side, in their debut top-flight season, currently have as many points as their far more illustrious neighbours Athletic Bilbao and Real Sociedad combined.

“This is football and it’s clear that if we defend well, don’t make mistakes and get a bit of luck, we can come away with at least a point,” said optimistic midfielder Dani Nieto, formerly of Barcelona B. - AFP

 

Deadly row: M'sian man, 60, runs wife over after quarrel

Deadly quarrel

The couple quarrelled.

But they didn't make up. Instead, the tension spilled over, leading to the wife's grisly death.

Malaysian paper Harian Metro said  the husband, 60, stopped the car near a bridge in Sungai Mekam after their verbal fight and pushed her out.

The incident happened on Wed­nesday night, Star Online reported.

While the woman, 61, writhed in pain on the road, the husband reversed the car over her, crushing her skull. He then continued with his journey to his friend’s house.

Later, when the friend asked him where his wife was, he kept quiet.

Passers-by who came across the woman’s body near the bridge alerted the police.

Source: Star Online

 

WATCH: US Marine gets shot in the head and lives, thanks to helmet

A US Marine was shot in the head... only to be saved by a helmet.
A US Marine was shot in the head... only to be saved by a helmet.

Perhaps not many moments can encapsulate a 'close shave' more than this video.

It shows shocking footage of an American marine who fought in Afghanistan last year getting shot directly at the head - only to be saved by his kevlar helmet.

The 3-minute clip was uploaded on Tuesday (Oct 14). It follow three US marines as they took part in a joint helicopter raid in Now Zad, Helmand Province in 2013.

The trio were investigating after hearing gunfire and paused at the exit of a tunnel.

That's when a marksman, believed to be a Taliban sniper, shot the second marine, British newpaper Mirror reported. 

Once back under cover, the shot marine said: "My ears are ringing."

The look of relief after he takes out his helmet to see the bullet is certainly palpable.

Although, if it was me, I would never take out my helmet. Ever.

Sources: Daily Beast, YouTube, Mirror

Tags: watch, us marine, shot and helmet

Sacking Redknapp now is a 'premature decision' says QPR legend Rodney Marsh

Club great Rodney Marsh says to push the panic button so quick into the BPL season and sack Harry Redknapp is a "premature decision."

Struggling Queens Park Rangers have failed to learn from the past and sacking manager Harry Redknapp this early in the season would be another rash move, according to club great Rodney Marsh.

The former striker told talkSPORT radio on Thursday (Oct 16) that talk of replacing Redknapp at Loftus Road was "a little bit premature". 

"We've seen this movie before guys, haven’t we? Mark Hughes, Neil Warnock, same time of year, bad results, the same thing happened.

"We are seven or eight games in and it is sack the manager again. It’s the same thing around and around and around," said Marsh.


Manchester United added on to Queens Park Rangers' bad streak last month in a 4-0 win at Old Trafford. PHOTO: Reuters

Rangers are bottom of the Premier League with four points from seven games since they won promotion in the Championship playoffs last season.

Thus far, the West London side have only one win to their credit and the worst goal difference in the Premier League, with only four goals scored to 15 conceded.

Redknapp, who was talking about a contract extension only recently, is increasingly under pressure with the media speculating on who might replace him while players have spoken out in support.

"We are not even in double figures for the amount of games played yet," former England captain Rio Ferdinand, himself under pressure after laboured performances, told the Evening Standard.


Former Manchester United defender agrees with Marsh when he says sacking Redknapp now would be a premature decision. PHOTO: Reuters

Ferdinand signed for newly promoted Premier League club Queens Park Rangers in July this year on a one-year contract.

"To push the panic button now would be crazy in my eyes...He wants to get the club out of this situation we're in. It’s not for the lack of trying."

The names of former Tottenham Hotspur head coach Tim Sherwood has been mentioned as well as former Stoke City and Crystal Palace manager Tony Pulis – two very different characters.

Source: Reuters

New victim reports Stephen Collins for exposing himself to her in the 80s

Three different law enforcement groups are on Stephen Collins recently surfaced molestation case of minors which reportedly happened in the 70s and 80s.

Another woman has come forward to accuse Stephen Collins of exposed himself to her, authorities said.

The alleged victim was 13 years old at the time when she claims the US actor exposed himself to her in Hollywood, California, in 1983, USA Today reported.

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department confirmed on Wednesday (Oct 15) that it had opened an investigation after the woman's report.

Collins is best remembered for his role in the family drama TV series 7th Heaven which ran for 11 years from August 1996.

Special Victims Unit (SVU) detectives are also investigating the actor for indecent exposure and whether he annoyed or molested a child, the Sheriff's Department said in a statement.


Collins during his days filming 7th Heaven where he played Eric Camden, a reverend and father of seven children. PHOTO: Worldvision Ent

The Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) is also reportedly involved. LAPD investigated Collins in 2012 after a woman said he had molested her in New York and she thought he may have molested one of his relatives in California, the publication added.

Collins, 67, has not been charged in Los Angeles or New York, Fox News reported.

The increased interest in the case comes not long after after TMZ released an audio recording of Collins admitting to molestation in a therapy session with, at the time, wife and actress Faye Grant.

Grant, who shares one daughter Kate, 25, filed for a divorce from Collins in May 2012. The divorce hasn't been finalised.

Meanwhile, the actor hasn't spoken or issued a statement.

Sources: TMZ, Fox News and USA Today.

Related report: Dad from 7th Heaven admits to molesting multiple underaged girls

EPL: Coach Pochettino gives positive spin as Spurs head for Man City

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino hopes his players are positive ahead of Saturday’s clash at Premier League champions Manchester City.
Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino hopes his players are positive ahead of Saturday’s clash at Premier League champions Manchester City.

Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino likes to erase bad memories and cherish good ones.

It's a trait he hopes his players have acquired ahead of Saturday’s clash at Premier League champions Manchester City.

The north London club, then managed by Andre Villas-Boas, were crushed 6-0 in the fixture last season and a few weeks later, with interim manager Tim Sherwood in charge, they collapsed to a 5-1 home defeat.

Many of the players involved in those beatings will be on duty again at The Etihad on Saturday lunchtime as sixth-placed Tottenham try to snap a run of four consecutive league defeats away to Manchester City.

Labelling that sequence mere “statistics” during his news conference at Tottenham’s training ground on Thursday, Pochettino highlighted the positives.

After all, in his first few weeks as Southampton manager in 2013, he orchestrated a 3-1 victory over City.

Last season, his Southampton side gained a well-deserved 1-1 draw at home. But he did not mention a 4-1 away defeat.

Likewise, he played down a poor record when up against City boss Manuel Pellegrini while both were managers in the La Liga.

“In football you need to keep the good memories and the good feelings and get rid of the bad ones,” he told reporters. “The past is just about statistics. We know Man City are the champions and they have a strong squad and a good team but we need to show we can compete with a team like them."

"My history in Tottenham only started three months ago.”


Photos: Reuters, Action Images

Pochettino has made a steady enough start with Tottenham who have picked up 11 points from seven league games – just three shy of City who have already lost at home. - Reuters

 

Man sues after he wakes up from surgery in the US wearing pink panty

A man is suing a surgery center after he woke up from a colonoscopy wearing pink women's underwear.
A man is suing a surgery center after he woke up from a colonoscopy wearing pink women's underwear.

He went for surgery and came out wearing more than he bargained for.

Now the man is so traumatised by a pair of pink women's underwear that he has taken legal action this month.

Andrew Walls, from Delaware, US, alleged that he woke up from a colonoscopy  at the surgical centre in Oct 2012 - only to find the piece of intimate wear on him.

He was panty-absent before the operation, he added.

The lawsuit stated that Walls suffered severe emotional stress and mental anguish after the incident.

His attorney, Gary Nitsche, wrote in the complaint: "The defendant's extreme and outrageous conduct went beyond all possible bounds of decency."

Walls claimed the fallout has affected him financially, causing "lost wages and... earning capacity".

So I guess he's not going to drop by Victoria's Secret anytime soon?

Sources: New York Mag, Delaware Online

Now boarding: Over 5,000 M'sian names on their way to Mars and beyond

Blast off to Mars!

Want a trip that's out of this world?

Over 5,000 Malaysians will get the chance to make this happen, literally. Their names will have a seat on the next National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) mission to Mars.

They have submitted their names to be included on the Orion flight test on Dec 4.

The names will be etched on a microchip to be sent on Nasa destinations.

"Your name will begin its journey on a dime-sized microchip when the agency's Orion spacecraft launches Dec 4 on its first flight, designated Exploration Flight Test-1," said Nasa in a media release.

After two orbits around Earth to test Orion's systems, the spacecraft will travel back and splash down in the Pacific Ocean.

Chalking up more space miles

Wait, there's more.

After returning to Earth, the names will also fly on future Nasa exploration flights and missions to Mars.

"Nasa is pushing the boundaries of exploration and working hard to send people to Mars in the future," said Orion program manager Mark Geyer.

"When we set foot on the Red Planet, we'll be exploring for all of humanity. Flying these names will enable people to be part of our journey."

The deadline for receiving a personal "boarding pass" on Orion's test flight closes Oct 31.

Sources: Star Online, YouTube

Tags: Nasa, malaysia, names and orbit

Pages