Maid jailed 1 year for hurting 87-year-old woman more than 20 times

A maid who hurt an 87-year-old bedridden woman more than 20 times was jailed for a year on Wednesday (Jan 21).

Indonesian Sulastri Sakiran Sumadi, 37, bore a grudge against her employer over a dispute they had in February last year and decided to take it out on her employer's mother.

She used her bare hands or an object to hurt the elderly woman, who suffers from a host of medical conditions including Alzheimer’s disease, reported The Straits Times.

Sulastri was employed in April 2013 to do household chores and take care of the elderly woman.

From May 17 to June 21 last year, Sulastri repeatedly hurt the woman. 

'Sakit'

The 87-year-old did not retaliate or shout during the incidents. Instead, she would say "sakit" (Malay for pain) softly and apologise to the maid, despite not knowing what she had done to lead to the assault.

The maid's actions of voluntarily causing hurt were recorded by a closed-circuit television installed in the victim’s room.

It was only when the victim complained to her daughter of pain in her head did the latter review the CCTV footage.

She faced 24 charges and admitted to eight counts.

Cruel and wicked

Pleading for a light sentence, Sulastri said her mother died in February last year and she had asked her employer for leave to go home but was rejected.

She said she could not control her mind and took it out on the victim.

District Judge Lee Poh Choo said she had been cruel and wicked towards the victim, who was totally dependent on her care.

"You used such force that you left bruises and marks on this old lady. I agree with prosecution a deterrent sentence is definitely called for," she said.

Source: The Straits Times

Maria all hot and bothered

"I just tried to take it a point at a time, think positively, and change my thought process a little." - Maria Sharapova (above, cooling off with an ice towel), on how she staged her comeback
Premium content not available

Nadal made to sweat

Ill Spaniard survives scare to scrape 
past American qualifier Smyczek

"In terms of feeling bad (physically), it was my toughest ever victory." - Rafael Nadal (above) who battled dizzy spells and stomach cramps to win an energysapping five-setter in 4hr 12min
Premium content not available

Allenby fights back, sort of

Premium content not available

Mixed expectations after hockey hiding by Malaysia

HOCKEY BOYS NEED TO STEP UP: Singapore (in red)will have to pick themselves up as they host Poland tonight, after a dismal 16-1 defeat by rivals Malaysia (in yellow) on Tuesday.

Former Singapore Hockey Federation (SHF) president Annabel Pennefather remembers the brickbats all too vividly, when critics called for her head and even asked for the players to burn their sticks.

The Singapore women were trounced 16-0 by South Korea, the then-world No. 3 side, at the 1990 Beijing  Asian Games, and they were subsequently branded as “tourists”, as star player Melanie Martens and Co. were lambasted from all sides.

But most of the same squad returned in 1993 to famously strike gold at the 1993 South-east Asia (SEA) Games on home soil.

The 16-1 drubbing the Singapore men’s team suffered at the hands of Malaysia in the World League Round 2 clash at the Sengkang Stadium on Tuesday resurrected painful old memories for Pennefather, who called for calm in the aftermath of the worst loss in history on home soil.   

“(Tuesday’s) result brought (the 1990 incident) immediately to mind and I hope people won’t overreact.

“Make no mistake, the scoreline was a complete shock and something went awry, and it would only have come with a complete meltdown, but it still doesn’t reflect the capabilities of this team,” she told The New Paper.

Singapore finished bottom of Pool A and will play Pool B winners Poland today in a quarter-final fixture and Solomon Casoojee’s men will look to regain some lost pride.

But many fear another drubbing, as the 36th-ranked Singapore side take on world No. 18 Poland with the wounds from the Malaysian massacre still fresh.

Read the full report in our print edition on Jan 22.

Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.

Year's extension likely for Jalan Besar's King George's Stand

Temporary stand at Jalan Besar Stadium set for a stay of execution as SEA Games loom

MILESTONE: LionsXII defender Baihakki Khaizan celebrating his goal - the first scored in front of the Jalan Besar Stadium's King George's Stand - against Kelantan in the Malaysian Super League in 2012.

Baihakki Khaizan rose above a sea of defenders and nodded the  immaculate cross by Shahdan Sulaiman into the far corner of the Kelantan goal.

The moment his feet touched the ground, the LionsXII defender raced behind the goal and into the warm embrace of the fans at Jalan Besar Stadium’s King George’s Stand (KGS).

It was the first goal scored in front of the stand, in a Singapore side’s first appearance in the Malaysian Super League (MSL) in 18 years, and it looked like the start of something special.

While the LionsXII fell 2-1 to Kelantan that day in 2012, the team went on to finish second in the MSL that season.

They roared to the title the following season but, as the fortunes of the LionsXII dipped in 2014, so did fan numbers, with fewer and fewer opting to sit behind the goal adjacent to King George’s Avenue.

It looked as if the temporary seating area for 1,500 spectators would be removed this year before the LionsXII kick off the 2015 MSL campaign next month, as the licence required to keep the stand operational runs out this Sunday.

When contacted yesterday, though, the Football Association of Singapore (FAS)  revealed that moves are under way to keep the stand in place for another year.

Read the full report in our print edition on Jan 22.

Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.

Spurs, Thunder seal wins

Kevin Durant.
Premium content not available

Goh aims for hat-trick

Christabel Goh.
Premium content not available

New, old citizens save elephants

Man City's Bony and Toure combine to set up Ivory Coast's equaliser

CITY CONNECTION: Yaya Toure (left, No. 19) provided a defence-splitting pass for Wilfried Bony, who set up Seydou Doumbia for Ivory Coast's equaliser.
CITY CONNECTION: Yaya Toure provided a defence-splitting pass for Wilfried Bony (above, No. 12), who set up Seydou Doumbia for Ivory Coast's equaliser.
Premium content not available

Keep an eye on Meshmaker

GOOD WORKER: Six-year-old Meshmaker surprises trackwatchers with a good training gallop.
Premium content not available

Pages