U2 criticise Trump at festival show

Irish rock band U2 are not keeping quiet about their disdain for Donald Trump.

At the iHeartRadio Music Festival in Las Vegas, Nevada, on Friday, they took the chance to criticise the controversial US presidential candidate.

During their performance of the song Desire, their accompanying visuals were intercut with a clip of the politician saying: "What do you have to lose?"

The words were used by Mr Trump to address black voters in his speech last month.

Frontman Bono then asked the audience: "Are you ready to gamble the American Dream?"

The comment lines up with what Bono had earlier mentioned on US talk show Charlie Rose: "I think he's trying to hijack America... Wise people of conscience should not let this man turn your country into a casino."


Jung Joon Young probed for sexual assault

South Korean singer-actor Jung Joon Young is having his worst week ever.

On Friday, news broke that a sexual assault complaint had been filed against the 27-year-old last month by an ex-girlfriend who claimed he filmed the two of them having sex without her consent.

She has since dropped the charges.

But Jung's case was re-opened the next day because sexual assault is a chargeable offence even without formal complaint.

During the second investigation, he revealed that while he did film the act, he had deleted the footage and failed to surrender his phone because it was broken.

In response to the incident, Jung said: "Should there be additional investigation into the case, I plan on cooperating with it truthfully and sincerely."


Magnificent showing at box office

The Magnificent Seven is living up to its title.

Produced for US$90 million (S$122.6 million), the Western action film starring Denzel Washington and Chris Pratt raked in US$35 millionover its opening weekend in the US.

It surged ahead of animated flick Storks, which snagged second place with US$21.8 million.

It also knocked Clint Eastwood's Sully, which held the top spot for the past two weeks, to third place with US$13.8 million.


Robbie Williams to release new album

Through an advertisement on British reality TV singing show The X Factor on Sunday night, English singer Robbie Williams announced he will be back with a new album, Heavy Entertainment Show.

To be released in November, it will be his first album since 2013's Swings Both Ways.

Williams is said to be collaborating with younger artists, such as British singer Ed Sheeran and US rock band The Killers frontman Brandon Flowers.


PHOTOS: AFP, JUNG JOON YOUNG INSTAGRAM, ROBBIE WILLIAMS INSTAGRAM

I don't hate Los Angeles, but I'm nervous about becoming one of those people who has a ferocious interest in how films did at the box office that weekend and, you know, would want to meet for egg-white omelettes in the morning.

- English actor Hugh Grant does not identify with the Hollywood lifestyle

Tags: Celebrities, pop and Music

Hacken Lee: No shame in losing to younger contenders

Veteran Cantopop singer Hacken Lee said that there is no shame in losing to younger contestants on reality singing competition I Am A Singer 4.

Veteran Hong Kong singer Hacken Leehad initial reservations about joining I Am A Singer 4, where he had to compete week after week to stay on the show and be judged by a 500-strong live audience.

In a separate phone interview with The New Paper yesterday, the 48-year-old father of two boys aged six and eight said: "I'd be lying if I said I didn't have my concerns. But once we started filming, the competition element wasn't so important anymore.

"Every singer who joins I Am A Singer is talented and impressive in his or her way. Besides, singing is pretty subjective, it's hard to say who's good and who's bad. All of us who competed are specialists in our different genres. Like Shin and Zhao Chuan are rockers, whereas I'm more pop-oriented."

Lee stressed there is "no shame at all" in losing to younger singers.

"Look at the Olympics. It doesn't mean that every gold medallist is the oldest contestant with the most experience," he said.

"Ultimately, no matter who won I Am A Singer, we enjoyed the competition process greatly."

Losing voice made Joey Yung feel like "the end of the world"

Hong Kong singer Joey Yung says losing her voice is the worst thing for a singer

PALS:(Above) Hong Kong singers Joey Yung and Hacken Lee are holding a joint concert in Singapore next month.
PALS: Hacken Lee flies during his concert with Joey Yung.

Cantopop diva Sammi Cheng made headlines two weeks ago when she lost her voice during the first show of her eight-night concert at the Hong Kong Coliseum.

According to Apple Daily, the 44-year-old veteran was battling a bout of flu and struggling with cough and a bad throat.

After butchering several songs, Cheng broke down on stage and told her audience tearfully: "I'm in pain. I still have seven shows to go. Can I give all of you a refund?"

Fellow Hong Kong singer Joey Yung, who was at one of Cheng's concerts last week, understands the anguish.

"Losing one's voice is the worst thing that can happen to an artist. It's what I fear the most before every performance," the 36-year-old told The New Paper in Mandarin over the phone from Hong Kong yesterday.

"If I sprain my leg, I can quickly get an injection and feel better.

"But losing my voice would make me go crazy. I don't want my fans to come to my concert just to take in the bright stage lights and nothing else."

Yung, who will be holding a joint concert with her good friend, Cantopop crooner Hacken Lee, in Singapore next month, praised Cheng for handling the situation well.

"Watching Sammi at her concert, I was very touched," said Yung.

"It must have been a huge disappointment for her, as she has spent months preparing for the show. But she displayed professionalism, experience and determination."

Yung herself encountered a similar scenario three years ago when she fell ill during her 2013 concert tour.

"My voice was in a horrible condition and I was so depressed. I felt like it was the end of the world," she said.

"It was a very vulnerable moment.

THANKFUL

"Thankfully, my fans were really forgiving. They'd joke with me that I had, for once, given them a 'limited edition' concert, one where I showed my imperfect side."

Yung takes setbacks in her stride.

In April, she and Lee took part in the hit Chinese reality TV singing competition I Am A Singer 4, which pits professional singers against one another. Chinese-American vocal powerhouse CoCo Lee was crowned the champion that season based on votes cast by the studio audience.

Yung came in seventh out of 14 contestants, finishing behind younger stars such as South Korean rookie Hwang Chi Yeol (third) and Taiwanese singer-songwriter Lala Hsu (sixth). Lee placed fifth.

"Of course, there can only be one champion, but despite losing, I feel proud of myself for having the courage and confidence to join this competition," said Yung.

"I went into I Am A Singer without any expectation of my eventual placing and I had a lot of fun singing alongside all these other great singers. I think through the competition, I've improved too."

Fans can look forward to sizzling chemistry between her and Lee at their double-bill gig - just don't expect her to wipe off the latter's perspiration.

"I used to do it because Hacken gets very sweaty when he sings," said Yung with a laugh.

"But I've stopped helping him because he once complained, 'Hey, don't wipe my face so hard. You're wiping off my make-up.'

"It hit me then that Hacken is rather vain."


FYI

WHAT: Hacken Lee & Joey Yung Live Around The World In Singapore

WHERE: Resorts World Ballroom, Resorts World Convention Centre


WHEN: Oct 9, 8pm


TICKETS: $128 to $288 from Sistic (6348-5555 or www.sistic.com.sg)

Suspected human-smuggling leader arrested in Jakarta

Abraham Louhenapessy.
Premium content not available

Gunmen on scooters open fire at four men in Sweden

HIT: Eyewitnesses said two scooters were chasing a car with four men inside before the car crashed into a tree and the riders opened fire.
Premium content not available
Tags: Police, Crime and Terrorism

I want justice and truth: Burn victim

Anger mounts over only one person jailed in Taiwan water park explosion investigation

Premium content not available
Tags: taiwan, Accident and Police

Woman convicted of allowing boyfriend to abuse her son

Last week, a man was jailed for abusing his girlfriend's year-old son. Yesterday, she pleaded guilty to allowing him to abuse her son. 
TAN TAM MEI (tammei@sph.com.sg) reports

GUILTY: The girlfriend of Franklie Tan Guang Wei (above), who was last week jailed six and a half years' and given six strokes of the cane for abusing her son, yesterday pleaded guilty to two charges of letting him do so.

She knew her boyfriend was ill-treating her son, but chose to turn a blind eye.

The 25-year-old sales assistant even lied on his behalf by telling others that "spirits" had caused the toddler to develop bruises.

Yesterday, the woman, who cannot be named to protect the child's identity, pleaded guilty to two charges of letting her boyfriend abuse her son, who was a year old at the time.

Over a period of about six months, the boy endured repeated abuse that culminated in the March 25 incident last year where he suffered a fractured skull, with swelling and bleeding in the brain.

The injuries occurred after her boyfriend, Franklie Tan Guang Wei, 26, shoved him off the bed.

The boy, who is now three, survived after emergency surgery, and is now in foster care and undergoing rehabilitative therapy.

Earlier this month, Tan pleaded guilty to one charge of causing grievous hurt and three charges of ill-treating a child.

He was sentenced to six and a half years' jail and six strokes of the cane. He is appealing the sentence.

Tan and the woman have a one-year-old boy who is under her care.

Yesterday in court, Assistant Public Prosecutor Dillon Kok strongly criticised the woman's actions.

He said she did "absolutely nothing" to protect her child's interest and, instead of shouldering her maternal responsibilities and showering him with love, displayed a callous disregard for his well-being.

She had on at least two occasions left her son alone with Tan, despite knowing that Tan had ill-treated him before and was not allowed unsupervised contact with the boy at all times.

APP Kok said: "It is not in dispute that the accused did not, by her own hands, inflict harm on the victim.

"However, in placing the victim right in the hands of Franklie, who had developed an alarming penchant for venting his frustrations on the victim, it was a very real and foreseeable outcome that the victim would come to serious harm."

SELFISH

He also said: "Perhaps misguided by her love for Franklie, the accused selfishly chose her relationship over the well-being of her own child, exposing him to the horrors of abuse resulting in tragic consequences.

"Her act of condoning such abuse to the extent of persistently placing the victim within the grasp of his tormentor is particularly reprehensible."

APP Kok asked for a jail term of 12 months, as the woman had not only failed to blow the whistle on the abuse, but persisted in placing her son, who was young and defenceless, in danger.

The mother will be sentenced at a later date.

Her defence lawyer, Mr A. Revi Shanker, will argue for a more lenient sentence before District Judge Adam Nakhoda on Oct 27.

For permitting her child to be ill-treated, under the Children and Young Persons Act, the mother could face up to four years' jail and a $4,000 fine.

THE NEW PAPER, SEPT 20
Tags: Court, Crime and Abuse

Man charged with murder of father

Bishan death

ACCUSED: Sabri Aslam was yesterday charged with the murder of his father in their Bishan family flat.
Premium content not available
Tags: Murder, Court and Singapore

Forever, the King

Nicklaus and Woods acknowledge Palmer's stature, 
on and off 
the course

Arnold always had my back, and I had his. We were always there for each other... He was the king of our sport and always will be. — Jack Nicklaus (right), paying tribute to his close friend Arnold Palmer (left)
Premium content not available

Pages