Tiger on the loose near Paris sparks police hunt

A picture taken by a passerby shows a tiger on the loose walking in Montevrain, east of Paris, on November 13, 2014.

A tiger hunt is on in France after a Paris resident on Thursday (Nov 13), snapped a photo of the fearsome animal in a carpark.

The big cat still remains at large since and the public have been told to stay indoors.

It was spotted in a supermarket car park in the town of Montevrain - just a stone's throw from Disneyland Paris.

Supermarket manager Jean-Baptiste Berdeaux told reporters: "My wife saw it this morning. She didn't get out of the car and called me to say: 'I think I saw a lynx'."

Others later came forward claiming they had seen the tiger on the prowl.

Unsuccessful search

More than 100 police officers and firefighters armed with tranquiliser guns were deployed to comb the area in the Seine-et-Marne district near the French capital.

Despite being backed up by a helicopter, the search was unsuccessful.

A wildlife expert said: "We’re going to try and sedate it, but if it becomes dangerous or aggressive, we’ll give the order to kill it."

Earlier this month, a circus had visited the area but all of its animals have been accounted for.

Speculation suggests that the loose predator could have from Parc des Felins - a big cat park - in Lumigny Nesle-Ormeaux some 18 miles away from Montevrain.

Source: AFP, Mail Online, Mirror Online

Michael Schumacher's family 'speechless' at love and sympathy from fans worldwide

F1 ace Michael Schumacher is still recovering from a skiing accident that nearly ended his life.

Michael Schumacher's family are "speechless" at the love and support the stricken F1 star has been receiving from fans worldwide. 

On Thursday (Nov 13), Schumacher's official website was reactivated to mark the 20th anniversary of clinching his first Formula One title.

On his new relaunched website, the former F1 driver's wife Corinna, 45, and children Mick, 15, and Gina-Marie, 17, said: "Every day wishes for his recovery arrive and the extent of sympathy for him makes us speechless.

"We can only say thank you for that, that you fight with him and us together. We remain confident and hope for the best for Michael.

"Your strength helps us continue to support him in his fight."

Website a "home"

Schumacher's manager Sabine Kehm is hoping that the website will give fans of the motor-racing star a “home” as they continue to support him in his recovery.

“We hope to thus give the many fans from all over the world, whose sympathy is still unbroken after his accident, a home,” said the manager. 

Schumacher is receiving treatment at his home in Gland, Switzerland, after suffering brain injuries when he slammed his head against a rock in a skiing accident in December.

He had two operations to remove potentially fatal blood clots and was then put into a medically induced coma.

But he was allowed to leave hospital in September after being treated first in a hospital in the French city of Grenoble and then in a clinic in Lausanne, Switzerland.

While no new information was given about his condition, a doctor in charge of his care said in September that Schumacher was making progress but would need years to recover.

Source: Mirror Online, AFP

Raffles Place drama: Two injured in attack this afternoon

A stabbing took place earlier this afternoon at 1pm in Raffles Green after a suspected robbery.
A stabbing took place this afternoon in Raffles Green after a suspected robbery.
Lunch-time drama and blood at Raffles Place.

Raffles Place was buzzing during lunch hour after an attack near UOB Plaza.

The New Paper saw blood on the ground as well as a red shirt, bloodied tissue paper and a briefcase.

A witness told The New Paper that he saw a man chasing after another man just outside Raffles Place MRT station. 

The chase stopped just outside UOB Plaza after a member of the public tackled the first man and subdued him.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force said two men were sent to the Singapore General Hospital with injuries.

Read the full report in our print edition on Nov 15.

Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.

This man can hear Wi-Fi

A visualisation of Wi-Fi fields sensed by the system.

Science writer Frank Swain, 32, was diagnosed with early onset of hearing loss when he was in his 20s

When given his first pair of hearing aids in 2012, Frank was inspired to hack it.    

Two years later, Frank now 'hears' Wi-Fi when he walks.

Thanks to a grant from UK innovation charity Nesta and a collaboration with sound artist Daniel Jones, the 32-year-old has produced a tool that makes Wi-Fi audible.

Signals into sound

The technology, Phantom Terrains, works on iPhone and can detect nearby signals, converting them into a unique sonic tune.

"This audio is then streamed wirelessly over a Bluetooth connection to a pair of Starkey Halo hearing aids," Frank told The Independent.

"These hearing aids are designed so that audio sent by Bluetooth can be blended with the normal output of the devices.

"In effect, I hear the Wi-Fi sound mixed into my normal hearing."

Positive

Through his project, Frank said he has learnt to look at the positives towards hearing loss.

"I don't feel like I've lost something any more, instead I feel like I've gained something." 

Source: The Independent, Metro 

Sim Lim Square LATEST: New shop takes over Jover Chew's Mobile Air from today

There's a new shop and owner at the Sim Lim Square unit that notorious retailer Jover Chew operated Mobile Air from.

A new mobile phone shop is now operating at the space formerly occupied by the much criticised Mobile Air at Sim Lim Square.

The current store's name is not on the signboard.

The New Paper spoke to a man inside, who identified himself as one of the new company's partners, who said it is called HJ Mobile.

Mr Ricky Lee, 33, told TNP that he bought over the store and all its goods from Mr Jover Chew last week.

He declined to reveal the amount he bought it for and stressed that the current store is not affiliated to Mr Chew.

Read the full report in our print edition on Nov 15.

Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.

Fann Wong's back: She shed over 17kg despite eating 'like a sumo' during pregnancy

Svelte Fann Wong shed over 17kg - three months after giving birth to baby Zed.
Svelte Fann Wong shed over 17kg - three months after giving birth to baby Zed.

It has only been three months since local actress Fann Wong gave birth to baby Zed.

But the 43-year-old has managed to revert to her pre-pregnancy figure, which she flaunted at her first official public appearance earlier this morning (Nov 14).

Wong was gracing the worship ceremony of upcoming drama series My Secret App, which she will start filming next month when her maternity leave is over.

Looking radiant in a long-sleeved printed dress, the new mum told The New Paper that even though she's been eating "like a sumo", her weight has dropped from 70.5kg to around 53kg.

Read the full report in our print edition on Nov 15.

Subscribe to The New Paper, now available in print and digital, at http://bit.ly/tnpeshop.

Polish woman rises from the dead in morgue

Polish woman Janina Kolkiewicz has no recollection of the unusual incident, when she woke from the dead.

She woke from the dead - literally.

Polish woman Janina Kolkiewicz surprised morgue workers when she began moving - 11 hours after being declared dead at home.

Public television broadcaster TVP reported yesterday (Nov 13) that the 91-year-old woman found herself inside a body bag within a cold morgue chamber in eastern Poland last Thursday (Nov 6).

“I was sure she was dead,” said doctor Wieslawa Czyz.

“I’m stunned, I don’t understand what happened," she added. "Her heart had stopped beating, she was no longer breathing."

Speaking to a local newspaper, Janina's niece, Bogumila Kolkiewicz said that her aunt has no recollection of the incident due to her late-stage dementia.

“Once we got her home, she said she was freezing and asked for a hot cup of tea,” she said.

Police are investigating the incident.

Source: AFP

Tags: poland and morgue

What?! Pregnant schoolgirl mannequins shock mall shoppers in Venezuela

A display showing mannequins of pregnant schoolgirls at a Caracas mall is shocking shoppers and stirring debate over sex education in Venezuela.

Shopping? You're not seeing things. That's a mannequin portraying a pregnant schoolgirl.

The display of pregnant schoolgirl mannequins is turning heads at a mall in Venezuela.

It has also sparked a debate on the country's high adolescent pregnancy rate.

The three mannequins are dressed in blue school uniforms, which school girls under 15 typically wear. They're the brainchild of two local charities who want to draw attention to the issue.

Venezuela's adolescent pregnancy rate is one of the highest in South America: One girl under-18 becomies pregnant every three minutes.

And a whopping 23 per cent of all births come from that age group.

Some Venezualans were appalled at the display. Student Kelly Hernandez, 18, said: "I think it's horrible, awful. If I'm a mother, I wouldn't want my child to see that."

But her friend understood the message behind the campaign, which will run for a month.

Auriselvia Torrealba, 20, said:

"Yes, it's disturbing to see (the display). But it's the truth. You see pregnant girls all the time on the streets.

So this forces you to think about them, doesn't it?"

High number of teenage pregnancies

This display comes just days after a United Nations (UN) women's rights watchdog expressed "deep concern" about the country's high rate of teenage pregnancies.

According to the most recent UN data, Venezuela's adolescent birth rate of 101 per 1,000 women aged 15 to 19 makes it one of the highest in Latin America in 2010.

Maternal mortality was 92 per 100,000 live births, around mid-range for the region.

The two children's charities behind the campaign, Fundana and Construyendo Futuros, are delighted with the controversy and resultant publicity.

Construyendo Futuros president Thalma Cohen said:

"It's amazing seeing people react as they walk by. This is such a taboo subject in Venezuela, we want people to talk about it.

"Some people get angry and complain. Others congratulate us."

Source: Reuters

Thai mother wants police to arrest son for raping his biological sister

A Thai mother was enraged at what her married son did: Raping his own biological sister and making her pregnant.

Her report shocked Thai cops.

A mother from Chonburi, a city south-east of capital Bangkok, turned up at a police station on Wednesday (Nov 12) with a shocking accusation: Her adult son, 46, had raped her youngest daughter, 32.

The daughter is now seven months pregnant.

That led to mother Somwang Nithimonkhol filing a police report against her son Boonsong Saeton, local media said.

The 65-year-old Somwang told the police that Boonsong and his wife visited her house while she was out selling vegetables seven months ago.

Victim tried to kill herself

With the help of his wife, Boonsong raped his biological sister.

Their mother only learned of the attack recently - after the daughter, suffering from stress, tried to kill herself. 

It seems the man had threatened to kill his sister if she told anyone about what happened.

The victim has been sent to the hospital for a physical examination while the suspects will be brought in for questioning, Thairath reported.

Sources: Thairath, Morning News, Facebook/ Coconuts Bangkok 

Ex-Chelsea striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink is manager of League Two side Burton Albion

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink giving an interview to Royal Antwerp Football Channel.

Former Leeds United and Chelsea striker Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has taken his first management job in England.

The new posting is with Burton Albion, the League Two (fourth tier) club said on Thursday.

He became only the third black and minority ethnic (BME) manager among the 92 Premier League and Football League clubs, along with Huddersfield Town’s Chris Powell and Carlisle United’s Keith Curle.

Born in Surinam, Hasselbaink played 23 times for the Netherlands and was in charge of Royal Antwerp for the 2013-14 season. 

During his time in charge of Belgian club, Sky Sports News, his winning percentage stood at 37 per cent. 

 

 

His appointment comes in a week when a new campaign was launched to get more non-whites involved in coaching.

A report by the Sports Person’s Think Tank released on Monday said that of 552 jobs in English professional football, only 19 were held by BME coaches and that there was “institutional discrimination” in the leagues.

He however has told BBC that the colour of his skin has got nothing to do with his appointment. 

 

 

His upcoming matches will be against Wycombe Wanderers on Nov 18. 

Sources: Sky Sports News, BBC 

Pages