The 14 African-born gold medallists
- Femi Ogunode (born in Nigeria) - two golds
Set a new Asian record in the men's 100m with a time of 9.93 seconds - no Asian-born runner has broken the 10-second barrier. He completed a double with gold in the 200m.
- Mohamad Al-Garni (born in Morocco) - two golds
Won gold in the 1,500m and 5,000m.
- Abubaker Ali Kamal (born in Sudan)
Won gold in the men's 3,000m steeplechase
- Ruth Jebet (born in Kenya)
Won gold in the women's 3,000m steeplechase. Moved to Bahrain at the age of 16, began competing for Bahrain in February 2013.
- Ali Hasan Mahboob (born in Kenya)
Won the men's marathon gold. He became naturalised in Bahrain after switching from his birth country Kenya in 2005.
- Kemi Adekoya (born in Nigeria) - two golds
Won golds in women's 400m and 400m hurdles after becoming a Bahrain citizen this year.
- Eunice Jepkirui Kirwa (born in Kenya)
Won gold in women's marathon.
- Maryam Yusuf Jamal (born in Ethiopia) - two golds
Won golds in the women's 5,000m and 1,500m.
- El Hassan El Abbassi (born in Morocco)
Won gold in the men's 10,000m.
UNITED ARAB EMIRATES
- Alia Saeed Mohammed (born in Ethiopia)
Won gold in women's 10,000m.