Sports

FIFA: No action against Zuniga for Neymar tackle

Colombia defender Juan Camilo Zuniga will not be punished for the tackle on Neymar that left the Brazil striker with a broken bone in his back and forced him out of the rest of the World Cup.

After investigating the incident from Friday's quarter-final, won 2-1 by Brazil, FIFA's Disciplinary Committee ruled on Monday that no retrospective action could be taken.

In a statement, soccer's world governing body said their own rules prevented them reopening the case because the incident had already been dealt with by the referee on the pitch.

"After an analysis of the matter and the extensive submission and documentation received from the CBF (Brazilian Football Confederation), the chairman came to the conclusion that the FIFA Disciplinary Committee cannot consider this matter in light of the conditions outlined in the FIFA Disciplinary Code (FDC) for the Disciplinary Committee to be able to intervene in such a situation," the statement read.

GWhXtS on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

"In particular, in this specific case, no retrospective action can be taken by the FIFA Disciplinary Committee, since the incident involving the Colombian player Juan Camilo Zuniga Mosquera did not escape the match officials..."

Neymar disappointment

FIFA, in a break from its standard formal statements, expressed its disappointment that Neymar - one of the host nation's most popular and charismatic players - had been ruled out of the World Cup because of the injury.

But FIFA said the extent of the injury and the profile of the player involved could not have any bearing on their disciplinary rules.

"It is important to note that the conditions by which the FIFA Disciplinary Committee can intervene in any incident have to be considered independently of the consequences of that incident, such as an unfortunate injury suffered by a player," FIFA said.


Combination of pictures showing Colombia's defender Juan Camilo Zuniga (L) challenging Brazil's forward Neymar (down) and Brazilian defender Marcelo (R) shouting for help during the quarter-final football match between Brazil and Colombia at the Castelao Stadium in Fortaleza during the 2014 FIFA World Cup on July 4, 2014. Photo: AFP


Brazil's Neymar (C) is checked on by teammate Marcelo (R) and Colombia's James Rodriguez after he was injured in a challenge during their 2014 World Cup quarter-finals at the Castelao arena in Fortaleza July 4, 2014. Photo: Reuters

"Finally, as a general remark, FIFA and the FIFA Disciplinary Committee regret any incidents occurring on the pitch that in particular have a negative impact on the health of players.

"We wish Neymar a prompt and complete recovery as we wish the same for all players who have sadly been ruled out of the World Cup through injury."

Zuniga has sent a personal note to Neymar explaining that it was an accident but not everyone agreed with his version of events with former Brazil striker Ronaldo calling it an "evil" tackle.

- Reuters

World CupbrazilneymarUncategorisedfouls