Fifa rocked by more corruption claims over its Qatar World Cup decision
Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its 2010 decision to let Qatar host the 2022 World Cup.
The Sunday Times has supposedly got their hands on confidential documents that could prove that the all-important decision was swayed by payments by disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Hammam totalling US$5 million (S$6.3m), reported BBC.
Both Qatar 2022 and Mr Hammam have repeatedly denied that he was involved in the bid, reported The Independent.
But the 65-year-old former Fifa vice-president had started lobbying on his country's behalf at least a year before the decision, The Sunday Times claims.
Just last month, Fifa president Blatter told Swiss TV channel RTS that it had made a mistake in choosing Qatar.
He said: "Of course, it was a mistake. You know, one makes a lot of mistakes in life."
"The technical report indicated clearly that it was too hot in summer, but despite that the executive committee decided, with quite a big majority, that the tournament would be in Qatar."
Source: The Independent, BBC