Messi wins Golden Ball
Fifa awarded Lionel Messi the "Golden Ball" as the top player of the World Cup, after the Argentina captain led his side to the final at the Maracana where they lost to Germany 1-0 in extra time.
The four-time World Player of the Year had a quiet game by his standards against Germany, but scored four of his team's six goals in the group stage.
He also set up Angel di Maria's winner in the last 16 against Switzerland and shouldered the burden of slotting home Argentina's first penalty in their shoot-out win over Holland in the semi-finals. - Reuters.
ROLL OF HONOUR
- Golden Ball: Lionel Messi (Argentina)
- Silver Ball: Thomas Mueller (Germany)
- Bronze Ball: Arjen Robben (Holland)
- Golden Boot: James Rodriguez (Colombia)
- Silver Boot: Thomas Mueller (Germany)
- Bronze Boot: Neymar (Brazil)
- Golden Glove: Manuel Neuer (Germany)
- Young Player Award: Paul Pogba (France)
- Fifa Fair Play Trophy: Colombia